1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Orthopaedic Surgery and foreign practice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Nik, Mar 15, 2000.

1. Nik

Nik Member
    10+ Year Member

I recently read on the opportunities site that 63% of DOs matched (some 51/81) into an
    AOA-accredited Orthopaedic Surgery residency training program. My question is what do
    you do if you do not match? How competitive is it to get into an ACGME accredited program for DOs?
    I know I have been told by some that they look down upon DOs, while others have
    told me they look rather favorably on DOs due to their training in the musculo-skeletal
    system.
    Also, what is the final statement on foreign practice. Must you have an MD to practice abroad as a medical missionary? Thanks for your response.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dolly

dolly Member
    10+ Year Member

Good question nik. I am still doing my undergrad work so I have no answer for you. However I am also interested in doing medical missionary work in the future and am very interested in knowing if a d.o. effects this. My first choice is to be a d.o. Does anyone have any information on this, or know where one could obtain the information? Thanks.

4. dolly

dolly Member
    10+ Year Member

hello again nik..your question so peaked my interest that I started referencing the websites connected to this site. it seems that a d.o. would have no trouble being accepted into missionary fields outside of the u.s. there are osteo schools outside of the u.s. and a few websites looking for medical missionaries where no specifications were made. since the law in the states recognizes both fields of practice, it is my opinion that we would not have problems abroad. if i find any conflicting info i'll post it.