Orthopaedic Surgery and foreign practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently read on the opportunities site that 63% of DOs matched (some 51/81) into an
AOA-accredited Orthopaedic Surgery residency training program. My question is what do
you do if you do not match? How competitive is it to get into an ACGME accredited program for DOs?
I know I have been told by some that they look down upon DOs, while others have
told me they look rather favorably on DOs due to their training in the musculo-skeletal
system.
Also, what is the final statement on foreign practice. Must you have an MD to practice abroad as a medical missionary? Thanks for your response.

Members don't see this ad.

Good question nik. I am still doing my undergrad work so I have no answer for you. However I am also interested in doing medical missionary work in the future and am very interested in knowing if a d.o. effects this. My first choice is to be a d.o. Does anyone have any information on this, or know where one could obtain the information? Thanks.

hello again nik..your question so peaked my interest that I started referencing the websites connected to this site. it seems that a d.o. would have no trouble being accepted into missionary fields outside of the u.s. there are osteo schools outside of the u.s. and a few websites looking for medical missionaries where no specifications were made. since the law in the states recognizes both fields of practice, it is my opinion that we would not have problems abroad. if i find any conflicting info i'll post it.