Orthopaedic Surgery and foreign practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recetnly read on the opportunities site that 63% of DOs matched (some 51/81) into an AOA-accredited Orthopaedic Surgery residency training program. My question is what do you do if you do not match? How competitive is it to get into an ACGME accredited program for DOd?
I know I have been told by some that they look down upon others, while othgers have told me they look rather favorably on DOs due to their training in the musculo-skeletal system.
Also, what is the final statement on foreign practice. Must you have an MD to practice aborad as a medical missionary? Thanks for your response.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about matching, but my family doc is an DO from Kirksville and has done missionary work in both Africa and New Guinea, each for about 1 year, I believe.

Nik,

I was actively searching ortho information at one point, and what you say about seeking out DO's for their musculoskeletal experience is partially true but I don't think it holds THAT much weight. But there are still a vast majority of ACGME programs, which make up the bulk of the ortho slots, that I don't think musc./skel familiarity matters as much to. A few of my friends are still gunning for ortho and we recently had a discussion about this. I think what we came up with is this: If you know of several osteopathic ortho programs in your general area or area where you would want to go, then you may not need to take the USMLE to make your road easier if you need/want to go ACGME. But everyone agreed it's better to be safe, so CALL the programs (ACGME) and see what they prefer or how readily they will accept COMLEX. From what I have been told, get to know the ortho guys at any hospital, get good 1st and 2nd year grades, and do exeptionally well on boards and you won't have as much of a problem, but ortho still remains one of the toughest no matter where you went to school or where you are applying. Check out the AOA opportunities page if you haven't already.

Good luck