orthopaedic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeinVII

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
well i'm an MS1 and interested in going inot ortho surgery. i've been talking to a lot of upperclassmen lately, and they were speaking as if orthopaedic research during your summer after first year is an ultimate prerequisite that just has to be done no matter what. how true is this?
as for me, i'm gona be working as an anatomy TA over the summer and also shadowing a couple of ortho surgeons, including one at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases. i was thinking of starting research sometime during my 2nd year. what do u guys think?

thanks for listening

Members don't see this ad.

Research is not an absolute must and it certainly isn't a must after your 1st year. Have a project will definitely help you, especially if you are looking for the big academic programs. I have never had a project of any kind and I am nearing the end of my intern year, so I am proof that it is not an absolute requirement. The best time to get into research is probably early third year, after you have crushed step I. You time the first two years is best spent preparing for that. Step I is the major cut-off for interviews for most places.

Agree with the above poster; having research experience, while helpful, is certainly NOT a prerequisite. It would be the rare exception to have a program screen for interviews based on +/- research. For most places, having research under your belt is most helpful when you get to interviews because it immediately gives you something to discuss.

I also agree with the above poster in that ortho, more than most specialties, is a numbers game. Strong Step 1 scores, and to a lesser degree, grades, put you on the "playing field". Beyond that, many other factors can figure in. That being said, outstanding letters of recommendation and/or connections can overcome almost any deficiency elsewhere

Good luck and study hard. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
MS1 as well and b/c of financial reasons research this summer aint gonna happen, what step I score could be considered the "cut off", not really interested in a big academic program just want to score a ortho residency.

A minimum of 220 should be your goal. Anything below that is a big red flag. Our program only interviewed 2 people with scores <220 and they both rotated with us. 230 and up is probably the range to shoot for to get 8-10 interviews.

ortho2003 said:
A minimum of 220 should be your goal. Anything below that is a big red flag. Our program only interviewed 2 people with scores <220 and they both rotated with us. 230 and up is probably the range to shoot for to get 8-10 interviews.

hmm i'm unfamiliar with usmle scoring s ystem, so i can't really gauge how hard it would be to get a 220. is that like equivalent to a 35 on an mcat?

230 is about 1 standard deviation above the mean. So you need to do better than the average allo medical student.

C

I don't have any numbers to prove it but I don't think that 220 is the MCAT equivalent of 35...I think that 220 is usually about national average. Maybe that makes it about like a 29-30 on the MCAT??

I'll have it all figured out soon as my big day is June 16! Step I here I come

There is no 'real' correlation between MCAT scores and Step I scores. Some people have noticed a link between the Verbal score of the MCAT and Step I, but I haven't seen any hard data.

Honestly, Step I is actually a test you need to study for (as opposed to the MCAT) since it is all about the random details of second year. Doing above average on the Step I is not an easy task. But doing well does help you in the interview of the more competitive specialities.

CycloneDub
OTO/HNS

I wasn't actually trying to say there was a correlation, although I am sure it came across that way. I was just trying to give the guy a rough idea what level of achievement he would need to shoot for.

CG1155

I hope that you enjoy WFUBMC for your training. I went to undergrad at Wake and really enjoyed my time there. Maybe you can cheer for the Deacs in basketball since I'm a little too far away to make it to very many games.

I'd agree with CycloneDub in that there is no correlation between MCAT and Step 1. Like they said, Step 1 is something that you can study for. It's pretty much straight up stuff that you've learned during the first two years of med school. The MCAT on the other hand uses knowledge that it assumes you've acquired through coursework to answer their questions. Only maybe a 1/4 of the questions can you just answer straight up based on what you already know, without reading the text. From personal experience, I had a pretty average MCAT score of 31, and had >240 on Step 1, so I obviously think there is no correlation.

WildcatOrtho said:
I'd agree with CycloneDub in that there is no correlation between MCAT and Step 1. Like they said, Step 1 is something that you can study for. It's pretty much straight up stuff that you've learned during the first two years of med school. The MCAT on the other hand uses knowledge that it assumes you've acquired through coursework to answer their questions. Only maybe a 1/4 of the questions can you just answer straight up based on what you already know, without reading the text. From personal experience, I had a pretty average MCAT score of 31, and had >240 on Step 1, so I obviously think there is no correlation.

I personally believe there is a small trend between MCATs and the USMLE examinations. I don't think the actual scores on either test correlate at all. Not only do programs use these scores as weed-out devices, they also use them to see if you can take standardized tests. I think a bad score on the MCAT, esp of taken multiple times, reflects on how one would do on taking the USLME. I have taken all three steps and these exams begin to evolve. THere are more second level type of questions that require a little more thought. The MCAT requires a lot of thinking. Most, if not all, medical schools have switched to standardized tests. I believe they use the MCAT to determine how well you would do on these types of tests.

As a physician, you'll be taking standardized tests until reitrement. If one has trouble on multiple attempts on the MCAT, they would probably have trouble passing the many test they have to take in medical school.

EX-fix

just out of curiousity, for the current orthopaedic residents and upperclassmen headed into ortho, what did you guys do during your summer after first year?

-hating neuro

Hello everyone. I am currently a first year at VCOM (the new osteopathic school). If there is anyone reading this that has experience with military ortho surgery, please help. Everyone tells me that it is next to impossible to score the AF ortho residency at Lackland because of an average of approximately 4 open spots per year. Is this true? What are the types of things that I should be doing now (besides studying for Step 1) to make myself more competitive? People also tell me that I need to show my face and establish contacts at the residency. How is this possible with just one residency location? I plan doing an ADT at Keesler this summer, but I don't think I will meet any connections during that time. Please help....

Thanks!!!

tein VII,

looks like you'll have trouble selling tickets to your gun show. :laugh: j/k

If you have a "Frat boy/beach boy" personality, you will fit in just fine with the rest of the ortho (male) residents. :thumbup: