Orthopedic "Consultant" Needs Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryingagain

Soon to have no life
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, its my first time posting to this great forum. I need some advice about a few things.

I graduated in December 2000 with a 3.2 GPA (Biology) and a 20 on the April 2000 MCAT. I didn't study at all for the MCAT. At the time I was burnt-out on school and unsure what I wanted to do. I did however do a lot of volunteer, charity, genetics research and leadership work in preparation of one day going to med-school.

So I took a job as an orthopedic sales rep selling a line of sports medicine, arthroscopy and total-joint replacement products. Needless to say I have become great friends with a good-many orthopods in the area and have fell in love with medicine and surgery. I am often in the OR giving advice about the procedure or the product which is being used. I work with my doctors and also cavort with them socially.

This job is very interesting and pays very well but it is not my passion; thus I am not completely happy. I am currently enrolled at Kaplan and already am studying for the April 20th MCAT at night. But, like some of you, I have questions and concerns.

I know I have to kick ass on the MCAT. However, I am in the unique position that I do not want my clients (and potential letter of recommendation authors) to know that I may be leaving and entering med school for fear that I (gasp) don't do well on the MCAT and can't get in. I think I will do better this time on the MCAT and hopefully get in somewhere.

So my questions are:

When do I tell my surgeons about my dream of entering med-school? Should I wait to tell them for fear that I fail and risk looking stupid for not getting in? If I tell them after I receive the scores is that too late to get all of the requirements in? How many of them do I ask? Will it look bad having all orthopods write recommendations? Do you think it will hurt that I am currently in the sales end of medicine and not involved in as much patient care? Should I "re-do" some volunteer work so that I am more current?

Sorry for the long story and many questions. There are few people in the world who can relate like hopefully some of you can.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You should let them know that you're applying. Regardless of how you end up doing on the current MCAT, you'll want a letter from them.

Also, physicians have an understandable affinity toward those who are SO interested in what they do... and are naturally inclined to help. (in fact, that's why message boards such as these thrive!)

Look, even though they took the MCAT years ago, they'll remember the hell it was. I certainly do, even though it is a semi-distant memory for me as well.

Good luck! And do lots of practice questions@!

You could easily wait for the scores if you'd rather. The scores should arrive in the middle of June. This is plenty early to submit your primary application (although I would have it ready to be submitted, i.e., essays complete, transcripts and acitivties entered). You will then begin receiving secondary applications after that (some might come right away others may take months to arrive). Only after the secondaries arrive will you need the recommendation letters. As long as you know that the recommenders will be fairly prompt with their letters then there will be plenty of time to ask them after you have received your scores.

As soon as you know you will be applying (when you receive your MCAT scores) I would ask several people to write letters and that you will provide school addresses as they come to you. Ask several so that in case one or two of them are slow to respond with writing letters you can always find someone else to fulfill the letter requirement.

Good luck. Also, don't forget to research osteopathic medical schools when applying...

Hard to believe that the first MCAT for you and you did not study, your score shows that. That MCAT score is recorded now and will be a statistic on your application. Also, I don't think your job would be considered patient care experience. Sounds like a post bac might be attractive, hint GPA. And if you are serious about pursuing this route to med school, why not be open and honest about it with the people who you socialize with? And I suggest asking those surgeons what kind of rec they could provide you with. I'd concentrate on getting univ professor recs instead. Good Luck!