Orthopedic residencies requiring chair letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedocta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a list out there showing ortho programs that require a chair letter? I have one from my home PD and all requirements I’ve seen so far say PD/chair. How hard do I need to panic and get a meeting with the chair

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a list out there showing ortho programs that require a chair letter? I have one from my home PD and all requirements I’ve seen so far say PD/chair. How hard do I need to panic and get a meeting with the chair
it’s pretty standard that most places want a chair letter I think. I don’t think there is a list out there to answer your question. Each individual program should have the requirements on their website.

edit: my random review of a few programs…some didn’t have any chair/PD requirement for letter and the one that said chair said chair/pd. I think you’ll be ok with a PD letter

Last edited:
dude its hard enough to match ortho already, don't try to do it missing a frequently required letter

Reactions: 1 user
I thought chair letters were pretty standard. I’m not sure how someone applies to match a small field without having a sit down meeting with the chair at their home program. It’s a pretty standard thing and typically represents a summary of how the department views you. I was told by multiple interviewers that my chairman’s letter was what got me the interview, and from across the table it was only 3-4 lines of text. So they can be very powerful.

I would make an appointment ASAP and meet with the chair.