Orthopedic Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NGMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a premed student and I have always considered going into cardio but upon further thought i have become more interested in orthopedics and sports medicine, mostly because i feel its is the best way to marry my passion for athletics and medicine. I am still very young and want to keep and open mind all the way into my 3rd year of Medicine and so I wanted to ask if my interest in sports and athletics and the study thereof, of the biological mechanism involved, is a good enough reason to be considering Ortho. If not however, i would love some input on what some other options might be for me. Please note, money or length of training are really not too big a factor for me however, I am concerned about how long the hours are cuz i plan on being as involved as possible in my family. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Let me lay out a plan for you.

Start by using the search function and finding the multitude threads discussing these very topics. Then do well in undergrad, take the mcat and do well, get in to a good medical school, do well in classes, work on a research project, take Step 1 and do well, then go on your third year rotations and see what you like.

Hours are long for either. If family is your prerogative, maybe do physical therapy or business instead.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm a premed student and I have always considered going into cardio but upon further thought i have become more interested in orthopedics and sports medicine, mostly because i feel its is the best way to marry my passion for athletics and medicine. I am still very young and want to keep and open mind all the way into my 3rd year of Medicine and so I wanted to ask if my interest in sports and athletics and the study thereof, of the biological mechanism involved, is a good enough reason to be considering Ortho. If not however, i would love some input on what some other options might be for me. Please note, money or length of training are really not too big a factor for me however, I am concerned about how long the hours are cuz i plan on being as involved as possible in my family. Thanks.
If you want family time after residency, PP is really your best bet for Ortho. Other than that, from what I've heard, hours are pretty rough.

The other options for you are all the other specialties or none of them (because you haven't gotten accepted yet). People can't suggest specific specialties until you've actually gone to med school and figured out the things you want in a career. You can have specialties that you like and want to pursue, but no one can suggest stuff until you can give more specific desires

If you want ortho + time, go to PA school or even podiatry. If you go to med school, there is a good chance that you won't do well enough to match ortho (the average MD student couldn't match ortho). So PA and podiatry are more definite paths

I agree that it makes sense to consider a broad array of careers including physical therapy, podiatry, physician assistant, and medicine. Once in medicine, you have the options of orthopedic surgery, family medicine with a sports medicine fellowship or even Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (shout to the Rio Paralympics https://www.rio2016.com/en/paralympics)

Please get into medical school before you start deciding what specialty you want to go into.

Please get into medical school before you start deciding what specialty you want to go into.
I heard that going to more prestigious med schools increase your chances of getting into the more competitive specialties of Medicine, is this true?

Yes. Provided that you have the same STEP1 score and the same (at least) 21 publications for ortho. But by the time you get there, the requirement will probably become 21 pubs with at least 3 original articles, 2 one which must be 1st author, in any combination of the following journals: the Lancet, NEJM, JAMA.