Orthopedic Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PGRAH004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hows it going. I am in the process of filling out my app and need some more good school ideas. I am currently going to apply to EVMS and VCU and maybe WVSOM and VCOM. I am a virginia resident and want to stay in the Va or NC area. What are some other good schools that I can apply to that have a good orthopedic surgery program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hows it going. I am in the process of filling out my app and need some more good school ideas. I am currently going to apply to EVMS and VCU and maybe WVSOM and VCOM. I am a virginia resident and want to stay in the Va or NC area. What are some other good schools that I can apply to that have a good orthopedic surgery program.

You're applying for 2008? Now?:eek:

If you haven't filled out your primary application, its a bit too late this cycle. Most primary apps are due in Oct or Nov.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are willing to go out of state, the University of Iowa has an outstanding orthopedic department. Apply next year because it's too late for the 2008 admissions cycle.

You're looking to apply to med schools with a good affiliated Ortho program?

You're looking to apply to med schools with a good affiliated Ortho program?
Yes thats right and no I am not applying for 2008. I still have to take the MCAT and I will be summiting my app in june. I just need a list of school around the virginia/nc/maryland area that have a good orthopod program

Yes thats right and no I am not applying for 2008. I still have to take the MCAT and I will be summiting my app in june. I just need a list of school around the virginia/nc/maryland area that have a good orthopod program

In my opinion, I think it is very good that you are planning ahead, but I don't think you should pick a school solely on it having a reputable orthopod program. This is an issue of picking a residency, not a school. Medical school is school- you'll have to tackle 2 years of basic science (textbooks, lectures, lab) followed by clinical rotations that will require you to study/tour in all general areas of medicine. If anything, you can always do an externship at a hospital with a more reputable ortho program.
There are many factors you should consider when applying to schools(location, proximity to home, tuition, etc)- I think many will be more important than narrowing it down by residency reputation. Plus, medical school is uber competitive, so it's important to have a broad list of possible choices and not rule any out. If you're simply looking to get noticed at an ortho program, you can always opt to do an externship at a hospital/school that does have a more reputable program for the specialty of your choice. And you can always do a research project with a focus in orthopedics.

In my opinion, I think it is very good that you are planning ahead, but I don't think you should pick a school solely on it having a reputable orthopod program. This is an issue of picking a residency, not a school.
Plus, medical school is uber competitive, so it's important to have a broad list of possible choices and not rule any out. If you're simply looking to get noticed at an ortho program, you can always opt to do an externship at a hospital/school that does have a more reputable program for the specialty of your choice. And you can always do a research project with a focus in orthopedics.

Agreed.

And Ortho is so competitive that many people apply all over the country anyway.

In my opinion, I think it is very good that you are planning ahead, but I don't think you should pick a school solely on it having a reputable orthopod program.

+1

Most people change after doing rotations, it's tough to really know before then. It's helpful to have an 'in' somewhere, but you can do externships at schools with residency programs of interest.

Ditto on all the info above about picking a school based on a specialty. If you're wanting to stay in the area, Virginia schools will probably be your best bet, but get ahold of a copy of the MSAR and see how you stack up against the Carolina schools as well.

If you're super-serial about orthopedicz, you may want to see how easy it is to away rotations at the schools to which you're applying. That way, when you're super-serial about orthopedicz, you can do an away rotation at the residency program of your dreams.

I'm super serial.

guys, the OP is super-serial too. c'mon, he's serial. shooo shooo shooo

does not matter where you go you need good usmle scores. but university of alabama birmingham has the best orthoparedic surgeon in the world

Generally your residency depends much more on your step scores and grades than where you went to school. Also ortho is very competitive and so you should just try to go to the best school for you and worry about doing the best you can more than anything else.

Although I agree with the above posters, I would recommend that if you are looking for a school that matches strongly and consistently in ortho every year, and in the area that you specified, I'd say Georgetown. The year I applied, they matched a ridiculous number of people (20ish) into ortho. That's not to say that you would automatically be one of those people - obviously, you'd have to do the work - but they must be doing something right. Not to fuel the pre-med fire, but definitely food for thought.