Orthopedics vs Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

19aliyan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you think orthopedics will fare in the future with podiatrists trying to expand their scope of practice. I feel that foot and ankle fellows will be at a great disadvantage in the future. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Lol I think Ortho F/A will be just fine

Amongst other reasons, there’s also the issue of taking General ortho call, that’s also what I’ve been told on most of my discussions with ortho groups.

As far as the VA goes, the bill cited had nothing to do with expanding scope of practice. It was just to reclassify pods within the VA system to free up more $$$. I don’t think we have any plans to start doing hips and knees anytime soon;)

+1 to the post above, I also wish the relationship could be more amicable. I trained with an amazing Ortho F/A surgeon whoin addition to being one of the smartest people I’ve ever met was also super approachable

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ortho Foot and Ankle job market is incredible right now - pay isn't super hot but you can get a job anywhere for F&A. None of the other ortho's want those cases so the ortho F&A surgeons will always be in demand. Trust me they aren't going to have any trouble getting patients either, based off the numerous revisions we do from the community podiatrists all my patients will be referred to the ortho foot and ankle surgeon in town if they are available.

Reactions: 1 user