Orthopedics

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Doctortobee, Nov 30, 1999.

1. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Since there is more "traffic" on this forum, I figured I's be better off posting here.

I know that orthopedics more saturated with males (I'm female). How competitive are orthopedic residencies?

2. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ortho is probably the most competitive residency out there today, and that includes neurosurg!

Tim of New York City.

3. RDO

RDO Member
    10+ Year Member

What's the deal with orthopedics being so competitive? What is it about the specialty that makes it so attractive to so many people? It IS foot surgery, right? Am I missing something? Thanks.

4. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Orthopedics is just foot surgery???? I think you mean Podiatry!!!

5. prefontaine

prefontaine Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Derm, ENT and urology are generally considered to be more competitive than ortho.
    Neurosurgery is not considered to be one of the most competitive residencies to attain.

Doctortobee, if your english is as bad as your post, you do not need to concern yourself with ortho.

6. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

How is endocrinology compare in competitiveness? (yes, i know it is after an internal medicine residency, but I'm not so worried about getting that residency). Thanks.

7. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Orthopedics is not just foot surgery, although that's a subspecialty of ortho. Ortho deals mainly with problems of the musculoskeletal system, and it's not all surgery although most of it is.

I can't say if derm, ENT, or Uro are more competitive than Ortho, but if I were to select the residencies which were the toughest to get into, I'd choose all of those and throw in neruosurg.

As far as endocrinology is concerned, it's probably as competitive as other medical subspecialties (although I think cardiology may be the most competitive of the lot).

Tim of New York City.

8. RDO

RDO Member
    10+ Year Member

Oops! I think I made myself look a little ignorant. Sorry (especially to anyone interested in being an orthopod). It does sound interesting.

9. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Prefontaine,

You just can't resist those little annoying jabs, can you?

10. prefontaine

prefontaine Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    More often than not, I do resist. Obviously some posters handle brutal honesty better than others. Better get used to it if you ever plan on being a resident.

Elizabeth, as I have posted elsewhere, endocrin is considered to be a non-competitive fellowship. The procedural (interventional cardiology, gastro) IM specialties are generally competitve. The cerebral (ID, endocrin) IM specialties are easily attainable, relatively speaking.
    IM residents apply during their PG-2 for a position that starts after their PG-3. IM boards are at the end of the PG-3, so ABIM scores are not a factor in selection. Note also that most procedural medicine specialties are oversubscribed, particularly gastro and interventional cardio.

Generally speaking, the competitiveness of an IM specialty is based on Sutton's law.

Ortho surgery is much more difficult to get into than IM, if comparing residencies at the same facility.

The #s support my earlier post about the relative competitiveness of neurosurgery, uro, ENT. Some years, derm is the toughest specialty to enter. Note that these statements are consistent with Iserson's views. Neurosurg is no higher than the second tier of competiveness.