Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

orthopedics

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by aalber9, Feb 22, 2002.

1. aalber9

aalber9 Junior Member

what are the best programs/schools for orthopedics. Ive been reading that ortho is extremley competitive how true is this statment.
    thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

I'm moving this to the Rotations and Residencies forum, where this fits better.

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    While I cannot provide a list of schools known for Orthopedics, I can tell you it is true that Ortho is one of the most competitive residencies. US News and World Report puts out a rank list and includes Ortho in their hospital ratings. Now, take this with a grain of salt, because these ratings are not for residency programs and as ratings are subject to a number of variables/measurements which may have nothing to do with your needs.

Take a look at the ratings written by medical students and residents for Ortho at Scutwork.com - I think you might find these interesting.

5. og71

og71 New Member

Top academic ortho programs that are always on lists include Duke, Mayo, HSS, Wash U, Iowa, and Harvard. There's a short list. Top community ortho programs include Carolinas Medical Center, Orlando Regional, and the Atlanta Medical Center. Once again I may have inadvertently not included a couple. For plenty of banter on this subject check out <a href="http://www.orthogate.org/orthores." target="_blank">http://www.orthogate.org/orthores.</a>

6. carddr

carddr Senior Member

An Ortho rating list would look something like this:

1. Mayo(Rochester,MN)
    2. Hospital for Special Surgery/Cornell Medical Center Program,NY,
    3.Harvard Combined program
    4. Johns Hopkins,Baltimore,MD
    5. Cleveland Clinic
    Highly competitive: looking for board scores of 230+...apply early as they are one of the first with deadline and they try and let you know quickly so you can go to your back-up plan. Five years with another year for Fellowship training. Competitive because of the selective work hours and nice compensation. One of the best in the business, once you get there. Had 3 ACLs and the waiting room was always full of Pts waiting their turn. Very fashionable to get ACLs, kinda like plastic surgery, everybody's doing it. Had to have mine because of playing sports , soccer to be exact and than basketball, thought I was still a teenager! I paid big time!

7. droliver

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Some of these lists really make me wonder.... A lot of ortho your training comes from trauma services & none of those programs listed take much of any. I'm sure they have good elective joint/arthroscopy experience but I bet some of these places have much less prestigious training programs than you'd think. As for all around training I know that Memphis,Vanderbilt, & UAB have excellent reputations in the southeast

8. carddr

carddr Senior Member

More ortho ratings;

Nothwestern
    Rush
    Henry Ford(watch the "hood")
    Beaumont
    Summa(Akron), what the heck Arkon as well
    and St Luke's(NY)

Betcha get more hands-up here...