orthopod and ARNG-anyone done this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sthpawslugger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in getting feedback from those who are orthopedic surgeons who also had National Guard obligations while in practice. How often did you drill, deploy, take call in your practice(also, was this a large group or small group practice?), did any tension occur with other physicians you worked with due to having to leave and fulfill your weekend, 2 weeks, deployment, etc? Lastly, is orthopedics considered a specialty on the shortage list? It's to my understanding that if not on shortage list for the National Guard that I can be move to the reserve. How then does my obligations change if am moved to the reserve?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not an orthopod and you won't find many in the ARNG. Those that are in the ARNG are going to likely be slotted as Field Surgeons (62B), which you can read about here and elsewhere online but you are essentially the primary care doc attached to a particular unit. If you want to function as an orthopod and be seen as such by the Army, you will need to transfer to the Army Reserve. There is a thread about APMC currently, which is where many are attached.

You need to speak with an AMEDD recruiter. They should know the ins and outs of jumping between NG and reserves.

What generated your NG obligation? If state money, I would SWAG that it will be more difficult to go into the reserves.

If you really want to jump over, the secret is don’t take no for an answer. Keep asking, until you get it yes. The first time you hear the answer you like, take that person’s name and title, and quote it like gospel forever. Ha ha.