OS internship positions.

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by Cusp, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Cusp

Hello all!

Soon to be 4th year dental student with a interest in OS. I feel that an internship will suit me well after I graduate. What's involved landing an intership position? Do the schools ONLY allow current OS applicants (thru PASS) apply/invitation only?

What is the advice to enroll an 1st year intern?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. servitup

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You don't have to apply to OMFS programs to do an internship. Contact programs you are interested in interning for and see what the deal is.

4. 54807

54807 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Try and figure out if programs like to take their interns or historically do not take them. Make sense? You might be able to hedge your bet to the point where you are almost guaranteed a spot after your year of being a slave.

5. The Don

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Does anyone know if case western's OMFS program tends to take/not take their interns as residents?
    If you haveany info either way please share.

6. 54807

54807 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I've made a habit of calling programs and flat out asking for any resident's contact information.

I'm about 8/8....they will either give it to you, or forward your info to them. They always get back to me.

http://dental.case.edu/grad/omfs/apply.html i'll get you started! follow that link for phone numbers!

Let us know what the residents say....I dont know how they maintain surgical training when they are spending almost 3 years in med school and the program is 5 years....that's like going to dental school for 3 years. That's ludicrous.

7. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do you want to do a 1-year internship or a full 4-6 year residency? Why on earth would anyone want to do just an internship?

8. Squished Rat

5+ Year Member

They only have 14 months in med school or something like that...they just have to pay tuition for the extra year so they can get credit for OMFS rotations as med school credit. They end up with something like 34 months on service if I remember right.

9. Cusp

Nope - internship -> oral surgery residency.

I feel an internship will greatly enhance ... not only my experience but my application for a residency spot the following year.