Osce

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimboo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know anything about the OSCE exam? I am an m4 and just received my results from the exam I took as a third year. I'm not too sure what the results mean and how they affect me. I did below average on 6 sections.

Members don't see this ad.

I had to take it at the end of my internal medicine block. My school uses it as part of the rotation grade. I think that we can get our score reports if we have the time to go to the department and happen to find the clerskship coordinator in the office, but I don't think that it matters otherwise. Unless your school puts the score on your transcript or something nutty like that, I don't think it will have any impact at all. Be glad that it's over and that you won't have to take the hateful Step 2 1/2.

I think the clinical skills part of the Step 2 is absolutely absurd. After taking the OSCE I realized that it is really difficult to test somone on their clinical skill. It's akward.
Well, I'll check with my school and see what they have to say.

We had to take 2 OSCEs each year in our 1st and 2nd years as part of our Clinical Medicine classes. I HATE having the camera on me while I do an exam....and I HATE to see the clock ticking.... moving from room to room with 15 minutes to read the chart, gather history, do exam, and write.... On 3rd year rotations, I feel like I do thorough exams with thorough histories.... but even though I've done well on OSCEs so far, I'm different when I'm taking them than I am with actual patients. I don't think they accurately measure what I do with patients. I'm glad, though, to have had plenty of practice with them since we have to take the BS CS exam....