OSHU Secondary - Letters of Rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesTank

Zombie
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My premed advisor here at my school only allows us to submit 3 letters of rec through them, since they say that thats all you need.

So I ended up getting 2 letters from past faculty (from classes and research etc) and then one from the director of the Big Brothers Big Sisters program in the area since I have been involved with that.

Now I am reading the OSHU secondary, and they want 3 Letters from faculty, and one OPTIONAL letter from a community service etc.

Up until now my 3 letters have been fine, but now I am freakin out about this one. Does anyone know if they are willing to make any exceptions on this kind of thing? My premed advisor writes a "pseudo-rec letter" as a cover letter for our portfolio.

Any suggestions? I really don't have a GREAT source of a letter at this point.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

My premed advisor here at my school only allows us to submit 3 letters of rec through them, since they say that thats all you need.

So I ended up getting 2 letters from past faculty (from classes and research etc) and then one from the director of the Big Brothers Big Sisters program in the area since I have been involved with that.

Now I am reading the OSHU secondary, and they want 3 Letters from faculty, and one OPTIONAL letter from a community service etc.

Up until now my 3 letters have been fine, but now I am freakin out about this one. Does anyone know if they are willing to make any exceptions on this kind of thing? My premed advisor writes a "pseudo-rec letter" as a cover letter for our portfolio.

Any suggestions? I really don't have a GREAT source of a letter at this point.

Thanks

I don't see your problem. Many schools have a required 3 and optional letters (up to three) that I've seen. It seems like you've been hitting the necessary three every time.

I'd submit the optional ones if you have a decent one. Remember that is optional however.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, the problem is that they require THREE faculty letters + an extra optional one (four total).

I have TWO faculty letters + a non-faculty letter.

No, the problem is that they require THREE faculty letters + an extra optional one (four total).

I have TWO faculty letters + a non-faculty letter.

O, wow. I recommend you find another academic letter. It's a standard request to ask for three faculty ones. If you're later in the game, it will save you time to get another one. Either way, you can always call them. I know many students who did this and they were like "send them its ok" whether or not the operator actually knows if its ok or not, is at your discretion. :p

Second the calling them approach.

OHSU's admissions department is pretty chill about accomadating irregularities and extraneous circumstances.

I'm planning on MD/MPH, and they require a letter SPECIFICALLY addressing your characteristics for public health and medicine. I think I'm all set, I know one of my supplementary letters references a ton of work I've done in public health, but man, what a pain...