Osler Board Review Coarse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TBS

long-term cutter
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.. I'm finishing up my GS Residency next month and am contemplating taking the Osler Course for the Qualifying Exam.. Anyone have any experience or know much about it? It goes to immediately before the exam but I think it may be worth it.. Thanks!

TBS

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone.. I'm finishing up my GS Residency next month and am contemplating taking the Osler Course for the Qualifying Exam.. Anyone have any experience or know much about it? It goes to immediately before the exam but I think it may be worth it.. Thanks!

TBS
I found it useful

Members don't see this ad :)
Now, now...let's not exaggerate. Your wife might be reading this!:D
Yep. She was with me when I read your reply and then laughed as I wrote mine. It was a good time. She said she might join me when I go to that or another course for the CME's or MOC stuff. Hope all is well with you. You know of any jobs i might be interested in Arizona?

JAD

Yep. She was with me when I read your reply and then laughed as I wrote mine. It was a good time. She said she might join me when I go to that or another course for the CME's or MOC stuff. Hope all is well with you. You know of any jobs i might be interested in Arizona?

JAD

Ha ha...ok, as long as she is in on the joke.

Haven't heard about any jobs recently, although the U of A in Tucson was looking for a thoracic guy a couple of months back. I will let you know if I hear of anything (CTSnet probably has listings, no?).

Did you get any of the course materials ahead of time? The Surgery Syllabus ($85 for the printed version or $59 for the electronic version) is supplied when you arrive for the course, but would it be useful to have some of that stuff ahead of time? Or what about the Surgery 500 test questions and answers for $110?

Did you get any of the course materials ahead of time? The Surgery Syllabus ($85 for the printed version or $59 for the electronic version) is supplied when you arrive for the course, but would it be useful to have some of that stuff ahead of time? Or what about the Surgery 500 test questions and answers for $110?
I never actually used any of that or had time to use any. I guess if you are going somewhere during your surgical residency, you might have time to go over additional questions over the year. But, I just didn't have any scratch or time.

JAD

I found a lot of errors and outdated information in the test question books they provided during the course (as did many others), so I am not sure I would spend money on the other materials without hearing from someone that they are better quality.

TBS

O.P. -- Did you take the course? How did it work out for you? Do you think it was worth it to take it right before the exam?

I did take the course.. and then again for the oral boards (so that means that I passed).. Would I have passed without the course? probably.. but it definitely gave me some confidence and put me in the right mindset before the test.. The volume presented to you at the course over six days is overwhelming.. so using the course exclusively won't help.. start studying early and use the course to hit the high points just before game day.. I'd say 80% of the test was covered at the course.. Goodluck,

TBS