Osteo school--3rd & 4th yr at 1 location?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisv

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which Osteo schools to apply to, and most of the ones that I've looked at so far basically force their students to go out of town for their 3rd & 4th yr clinical rotations. Does anyone know of schools where you can do your entire 3rd & 4th yr in one place?

Thanks!
ChirsV

Members don't see this ad.

At CCOM, all the rotations are in the Chicagoland area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for the replies so far!
Does anyone know about Michigan? I've heard that they also let you do it in one place.

COMP / Western U lets you do (actually you have to do certain ones) in Southern California.

That's affirmative on MSU-COM. Also KCOM.

I'm at DMU and I have my entire 3rd year within 20 miles of Des Moines.

FutureNavyDOc said:
I'm at DMU and I have my entire 3rd year within 20 miles of Des Moines.

Thanks for your post FutureNavyDoc. DMU is actually my top choice right now, primarily for location. But I've heard of horror stories of people having to travel all over the country to get their clinicals done during 3rd & 4th year. I've even heard that sometimes, it's all up to you to find a clinical rotation spot, if they can't find one for you. I would love to hear in detail from DMU students.

TUN-COM is a great place. All your rotations are in Vegas and at some awesome level 1 trauma centers too. BTW about 15% of our 3rd years just scored top 10% on USMLE

Chrisv,

I am a second year at DMU. We have not gotten our assignments for next year yet, but DMU is trying to establish new sites in Iowa to keep students here. So...chances are with each successive class, there will be more of a probability that you do not have to move unless you want to. By the way...DMU has a core program in Ohio that you can choose to go there & spend your entire 3rd year out there should you choose.

chrisv said:
Thanks for your post FutureNavyDoc. DMU is actually my top choice right now, primarily for location. But I've heard of horror stories of people having to travel all over the country to get their clinicals done during 3rd & 4th year. I've even heard that sometimes, it's all up to you to find a clinical rotation spot, if they can't find one for you. I would love to hear in detail from DMU students.

I am at DMU too, but I have my entire third year in OHIO CORE with the option to do my 4th year there too. It would benefit you to considered the OHIO CORE if you want to stay in one place for 3rd and 4th year.

Members don't see this ad :)
At UMDNJ you do your core rotations at our hospitals and can do your electives there also. The hospitals are: one on campus, and the other three are within 20-30 min. from campus

OUCOM, you can choose from several hospitals in the CORE system already mentioned. So, you could stay in one of our major cities during 3/4 year. You can also work out deals to rotate with other hospitals whereever you like, it you find a place willing to host you and that meets whatever the requirements are for teaching hospitals.

Krazykritter said:
Chrisv,

I am a second year at DMU. We have not gotten our assignments for next year yet, but DMU is trying to establish new sites in Iowa to keep students here. So...chances are with each successive class, there will be more of a probability that you do not have to move unless you want to. By the way...DMU has a core program in Ohio that you can choose to go there & spend your entire 3rd year out there should you choose.

Thanks Krazykritter, that's very re-assuring.

add Nova Southeastern to the list.... you have to do all your core rotations at the same place. Majority of the spots are in the tri-county area (Miami-Dade, Broward, West Palm) but there are a few spots available on the west coast of florida if you get a good lottery pick and are interested in going one of those places. Just like any other med school, the electives 4th year can be done at the same place or you can set them up anywhere in the country you like. The only exception is some rural medicine one 4th year where u have to go to the boonies of florida. But if I remember correctly, they provide you housing for that month.

It'sElectric said:
Since when were KCOM's all in 1 location?

The OP asked if it's possible to do your 3rd and 4th years in the same place. There are about 10 students, per year, who choose to stay in Kirksville for clinicals.

lol, stay in kirksville? joke right? my buddy scouted the area before his interview and when he drove past one stop light, he missed his destination.

chrisv said:

That definitely can happen. A buddy of mine wanted to stay in Iowa and ended up having to go to Ohio instead.
However, as Krazy Kritter mentioned, the goal is to have all 3rd year rotations in Iowa by the time the class of 2010 gets to 3rd year. No clue if they'll make it, but that's their current goal.

Tap0utt said:
lol, stay in kirksville? joke right? my buddy scouted the area before his interview and when he drove past one stop light, he missed his destination.

hey...that's an exaggeration! there are more than 10 stoplights in K-ville, my friend and I counted! :laugh: you don't just stay directly IN K-ville, since there is only 1 hospital in town, but you are in the NE Region of MO, so there is some (highway) travel involved, but most students w/ families that want to stay in K-ville for 3rd and 4th yr rotations may choose to do that b/c K-ville has an awesome school system for those w/ children :luck:

OSU-COM has it's own hospital where nearly everyone does their core rotations. Some people choose to go to one of our affiliated hospitals in Oklahoma City instead, but nobody has to go there. Other than the required rural rotations (3 months total during MS3/4...2 months of which might actually be within commuting distance), you don't have to go away for anything unless you choose to.

Tap0utt said:

I forgot that Kirksville has only one stop light for a population of over 17 thousand people living here.

KCOM Class of 2010

you can at kcumb but make sure you put kansas city as your first choice on match day. if you dont put kc as your first choice and your first choice is taken then you may have to choose from the leftovers. trust me i am speaking from experience. but they really do try to keep all people in kc that want to stay there.

I'm putting in my two cents... Hi Chrisv. I'm a second year OB/GYN resident at Botsford General Hospital in Michigan. I'm an alum of DMU and it was an issue for me as well.

I spent my entire year in Ohio CORE Columbus-Doctors Hospital and had the option to stay around for my fourth year. But I chose to go back to Des Moines, Iowa for my the rest of my fourth year minus 2months where I spent it in New York (By choice). People told me I wouldn't be able to stay in Iowa because of one reason or another but you know what DMU made an effort to keep me there.

So what's my point... If you want to stay in one place you will be able to. It's not a guarantee but I can tell you it can definitely happen... maybe a bit more leg work but you can do it.

DMU has spots in Michigan, Ohio, Texas... to name a few where you can stay pretty much the entire 3rd and 4th year.

In the end, many of my friends who went to other COMS ended up doing rotation outside their respective states... No school can guarantee you anything.

Good luck. DMU is a great school and I'm sure they will be lucky to have someone such as yourself.

:cool:

Since when were KCOM's all in 1 location?

kirksville has MANY MANY spots where you can do all of your rotations in one area... you can move to florida and do all of them in st petersburg, you can go to arizona and do them all in phoenix, you can go to new jersey and do them all in newark, you can go to pennsylvania and do them all in york, you can go to indiana and do them all in south bend, etc. there are more but you get the idea.

basically you get a core hospital site and you do your rotations there... if you want to move around in your 4th year that's okay, but 3rd year is pretty stationary.

I think at almost any school, you can work it where you spend your entire 3rd and 4th year in one place (aside from rural rotations). That one place might not be the same place where you did your first two years, though.

The only school I encountered where you might really have to move around a lot is with COMP's NW Track program. With their regular program, you could easily spend all 4 years in one place (well, with long commutes beingin socal and all). However, the NWTrack program seemed to sort of bump you around Oregon and Washington. I also got the impression lots of DMU students moved pretty frequently in their 3rd and 4th years, but that seemed to be by choice.

The really easy schools for staying in one place for all 4 years have been mentioned already -- CCOM, OSU, UMDNJ. I'd also guess NYCOM would be pretty easy just with long commutes.

One example of why ANYone considering spending any length of time in a place should thoroughly research it first. Kirksville is a slow, laid-back town. Yet, anyone who stays here can testify to the CHEAP rent and the overall low cost of living that makes your money STRETCH.

Also, staying in Kirksville does have it's trade-offs. Since our residencies are small, we have very few residents...therefore, you aren't 4th-5th in line when trying to get some procedures in. As a 3rd and 4th year medical student staying in Kville for rotations....you will be amazed at the things you get to do. We had a 3rd year resident from a major university out east interview for an attending position here about a month ago. She was very excited about all the recruiting for jobs and was telling other attendings - evidently trying to impress - about her numbers for procedures. Keep in mind...this gal is starting the 3rd hear of IM and she had done...5 intubations, 4 central lines, and I can't remember what else. (For those of you who don't know, that's NOT many.) I just finished my CCU rotation (I am a second year IM resident), and in my last 2 days (thurs, fri) I did: 2 central lines, 1 arterial line, 1 intubation, and 2 thoracentesis. I would say, for a summer month, my CCU rotation was a total blast...4 central lines, about 8 arterial lines, 4 thoracentesis, 1 intubation, 2 bronchoscopies. That doesn't even count the procedures I simply assisted on...these are just the ones that I did with my attending supervising me. A fellow resident that did his rotation in January had 15 central lines! Not bad for a place where people assume you won't learn much!

My point. No, kirksville isn't exciting. Your spouse may hate it. You may not find your favorite franchise here, but there are things to be said about living in a town like this, and training in a hospital like this.

However, if you decide that KCOM may be the place for you...or you only get accepted at KCOM...PLEASE research it well. I got so tired of my classmates complaining about the dumbest things that really surprised them about Kville.
"I can't believe I can't get good sushi in Kirksville" ...yeah, idiot...you can't get ANY sushi here. (I really did hear a gal from california complain about that!)

Anyway, Kirksville is NOT home to me...will never be home, because I've always been a student here....However, I hate for people to see a negative (but benign) post on here and write it off without knowing more about it...more precisely, about training here.

can someone give me a list of schools where 3rd and 4th year rotations can be done in the state of Michigan?

can someone give me a list of schools where 3rd and 4th year rotations can be done in the state of Michigan?

You should not have problems if that's your desire. :) DMU, KCUMB, and I think KCOM all have a ton of rotation sites in Michigan. I've heard LECOM does, too. Of course, MSUCOM fits, too, but you know that.

You should not have problems if that's your desire. :) DMU, KCUMB, and I think KCOM all have a ton of rotation sites in Michigan. I've heard LECOM does, too. Of course, MSUCOM fits, too, but you know that.

Well, I didn't apply to any of these schools except MSUCOM. I was thinking about PCOM, NYCOM, CCOM, VCOM, UMDNJ-SOM.

I got so tired of my classmates complaining about the dumbest things that really surprised them about Kville.
"I can't believe I can't get good sushi in Kirksville" ...yeah, idiot...you can't get ANY sushi here. (I really did hear a gal from california complain about that!)

:laugh: I was not suprised by this fact, but saddened nonetheless...at least Columbia's not too far, although my budget can't really afford sushi anyways :rolleyes:

Well, I didn't apply to any of these schools except MSUCOM. I was thinking about PCOM, NYCOM, CCOM, VCOM, UMDNJ-SOM.

Well, each school should provide you with a list of their clinical rotations. It's usually on their website. As far as I know CCOM has almost all their rotations in the Chicagoland area, so that might be tricky. VCOM wants you to train in Appalachia, and I believe their hospitals are there. UMDNJ-SOM's training sites are all in Jersey -- it's a state school, so they're going to want you to train there. I'm not sure about PCOM or NYCOM, but I strongly bet the vast majority of their hospital affiliates are in the Philly and NYC area respectively.

Again, you can do electives anywhere, but if you want to train in Michigan, you might need to add more schools.

KCOM actually has five different sites to rotate through Michigan; Genesys (Grand Blanc), St. John's (Detroit), Henry Ford-Wyandotte (Trenton), Metro Health (Grand Rapids), and Synergy (Saginaw). Of course, you are able to set up any of your fourth-year outrotations in anywhere you please - Michigan if you choose.

All this informationo is available on the internet at http://www.kcom.edu/academia/Rotations/SiteBook/Michigan/Michigan-sites.htm.

Hope this is helpful.

Andy
KCOM 2008

Andy

OUCOM, you can choose from several hospitals in the CORE system alrady mentioned. So, you could stay in one of our major cities during 3/4 year: Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo or Cincinnati I think some people are staying in Athens, too. You can also work out deals with other hospitals whereever you like, it you find a place willing to host you and that meets whatever the requirements are for teaching hospitals. I have classmates that plan to go to Tennessee for their rotations.

At OUCOM, there is no CORE hospital in Cincinnati. The closest to that area is Grandview in Dayton. Your required rotations MUST be completed at the assigned CORE hospital. This basically means your fourth year rotations (re: electives) can be completed at any hospital you choose. However, you are only allowed 8 weeks for out of state rotations. Anything more than that and you have to take vacation time.

At OUCOM, there is no CORE hospital in Cincinnati. The closest to that area is Grandview in Dayton. Your required rotations MUST be completed at the assigned CORE hospital. This basically means your fourth year rotations (re: electives) can be completed at any hospital you choose. However, you are only allowed 8 weeks for out of state rotations. Anything more than that and you have to take vacation time.

Damn, sorry about that, then. Apparently, Student Affairs has misinterpreted the truth to my colleagues. Guess this just shows us that, like all big companies, it is best to check with them and get something in writing prior to making any big decision.

Unless you have a family, there's no reason to stay in one place all of 3rd and 4th year. I was all over the map 3rd year (by choice) and have plenty of flexibility to go whereever I want in 4th year.

I thought it was great to get out and experience different hospitals, attendings, and teaching. Sometimes I struck gold, other times it wasn't as great, but I never had a rotation that I didn't learn a lot.

I have classmates who never left town and also had very good experiences. The difference for me was that I got to start checking out possible residency sites in 3rd year rather than 4th, by scheduling cores at away hospitals. That meant that I had things really narrowed down by starting 4th year.

I think CCOM has a great setup. You can stay in the chicago area for all 4 years. Plus, they let you take like 4-5 electives which can be done anywhere in the country. Being in the chicago area, you can take electives at all of the other hospitals in the area which includes those affiliated with the 6-7 other medical schools in the area without having to go off and find new housing. There is a file cabinet of rotation evaluations from students who have done their rotations at whatever hospital and you can look at those to get some good info. Chicago is also a great city for the social life. Granted the school is in the suburbs but it is definitely close to downtown. I stayed out there for the first 2 years and then moved to the city for the second 2 years. There are also alumni scattered throughout chicago at all the hospitals and so you might be able to meet them and get some great advice and help when applying for residencies.