Osteo Schools and USNEWS Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RollTide

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any comments on the new USNEWS rankings? I think MSU-COM, UNECOM, and WVCOM made the list, I think they made the list for both primary care and family medicine. How many made it last year, I thought it was four or five? MSU-COM ranked 9th in the nation and I find this pretty impressive. It would be nice if all osteopathic schools had large, well-known undergraduate programs.

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think that this ranking is not correct, NYCOM is a great school and it should have made the list

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that next year the deans are all going to wear swimsuits, parade on stage and then answer one question drawn from a fishbowl

I think it's important to understand what the survey is reporting. I admit that the rankings are interesting, but looking at the detail summary of the individual is more important to me. For instance, it's great that a school is in the top of a primary care list, but does that alone really tell you the quality of the school? I guess it can give you some indication that alot of students choose primary care, but the more important information to me is undergraduate GPA, MCAT scores, student/faculty ratio, and residency director ranking. Although these factors are not the "end all" determinants of a good medical school, they are personally more valuable then other objective measurements of schools such as a USNews rank. I wish USNews would also include pass rates of USMLE/COMLEX because it is another good indicator of quality. Measuring quality is difficult, but I wouldn't let the final ranking value be a primary factor in your decision since weights of certain values may not be similar to yours.

Duo: I couldn't agree more...overall, this is such a bad survey that to use it cynically to promote a program borders on medical machivelianism.

How did MSU move up 20+ places and Nova dropped of the list? Maybe there's not much validity in the rankings but there must be some sort of rational behind it. What could have happened in one year to cause so much movement?

Granted the USNEWS and World report ranking system may not be the best but does any else know of another sytem?

Is there a place which shows the passing rate for the boards of all the DO schools and similar data?

Someone should tell the administration at schools LIKE Johns Hopkins and the University of Alabama and Nova Southeastern that their practices border on "medical machivelianism". Surely the students at these universities would be outraged to know that the administration is using the USNEWS rankings as a form of recruitment and pride. How dare they be proud of how residency directors view the school, or of how much NIH funding they get, or of what percentage of students enter primary care! I am outraged and agree with Shoey! Let's protest!

Im sorry rolltide, but didn't you already say you disagreed with the validity of the report...its in writing, and we both know where to find it.
So you have openly stated that you disagree with its validity but yet you think its proper to use it to sell a program....sounds a tad dishonest to knowingly use bad data to promote a position...didnt a major scientific publication just catch a lot of flak for this?...by the way, I like Shoey, everyone call me shoey from now on.

pretty easy to find your quote Josh...and here its what you have to say:
"
Although the rankings themselves are meaningless, the fact that pre-meds use them as a way to decide which schools to apply to is important. "

now, i dont expect you to know about machivellianism, or to be impartial, but...its all there in black and white,
YOU thinks they are meaningless...but YOU think its ok to use them....YOU are a dishonest promulgator of propaganda with NO regard for truth.

sincerely, Shoey