Osteo schools, MSU and US News Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcs144

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This posting is in response to a previous post questioning why MSU-COM was ranked ninth on the USnews Top Medical Schools for Primary Care (tied with Johns Hopkins and UCSF).

You will see that the criteria is based statistical data from several categories. We just happen to be high on the ones they were looking for. We are all thrilled that our osteopathic institution is tied with Johns Hopkins and UCSF! To me, it shows that osteopathy is making it's way to the top when it comes to the philosophy of primary care.

If you look at the individual categories, you will see that they do not relate to undergraduate influences (this was implied on the previous post). Very, very few of our teachers are taken from that resource. Almost every professor is a physician from somewhere in Michigan (both MD's and DO's). Only a small handful teach elsewhere on campus.

We have class year-round with summers of 19 credits. Our schedule is extremely demanding. We do PC work on a regular basis. Over 85% of our graduates go on to PC. We have a sixth month course called PCAC where we all must take 6 months of primary care. This is to encourage us to enter PC. Also, we have a large number of faculty-- often 5-15 per class or block. Again, physician's from all over come to lecture about the topics they are "experts" with. We have access to a huge base of physicians. These are just a few reasons why our rank is so high. I feel we would be even higher on the list if we were affiliated with one hospital instead of 12, as we would have more national exposure related to publication and research.

Please look at the article if you have the interest:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/gradrank/mdp/gdmdpt1.htm

Interested to hear your comments--
michelle
MSUCOM- 2002

Members don't see this ad.

michelle:
Hi there. About the primary-care ranking, it was kinda refreshing to see MSUCOM's name on that list and God knows they deserve it. Maybe thats the reason I am really tryng trying hard to get accepted there. I got a quick question for you? I was placed on the waitlist and i recently found out my rank which is in the low twenties. I am trying to figure out my chances. any input you can give me would be very helpful.

Well, MSU doesn't interview many people. The fact you got that far is great. Everyone I know had MSU as their first choice, so I'm not sure what to tell you about being on the waiting list. It is a bit late in the season to still not know about where you are going. If it is any consolation, several of my friends had to apply twice before they were accepted-- a year of work and better MCATs would probably get you on the accepted list next year. I do just want to warn you that I feel the set-up here is very different from other similar medical colleges. For some classes, the exams boarder on near impossible, and our averages can often be at or below failing. This is not a feel-good school when it comes to academics, and we have more credits than most schools (MD or DO) in the country. Sometimes I think it would have been less stressful to attend a school with a more relaxed schedule, or one that didn't teach so dang much in so little time. If you have another school you are thinking about, please consider your options. You never know, you could get a spot-- but if you have another choice, is that a risk you are willing to take? These are just a few thoughts. You of course have to do what feels right to you. Best wishes and good luck!
--michelle
MSU-COM 2002

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to make a small comment regarding michelle's previous post. Yes, we do take a lot of credits. This is just a normal part of Osteopathic education (remember Allopathic students do not have to take the additional OMM/clinical skills courses in the 1st year). MSUCOM kids take the same basic sciences as the MSUCHM students (the MD kids) and in addition, we take the aforementioned classes. The curriculum is rigorous, but not impossible. I don't feel that the exams are horrible and in fact, our class averages are usually in the mid to high 80's. To Hulio: do all the things waitlisted pre-meds do and be persistent. If you don't get in this year, show interest in MSUCOM, and apply early. If you made it to the interview, you're stats are within range. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by MSUCOM2003 (edited 05-06-2000).]

Hi, this is a clarification & reply to the anon 2003 student. I don't remember any exams from the first-year classes being hard (except for anatomy, and as you know that was drastically rearranged--- our anatomy written exams were all averaged at or below fail). Pharm, Cardio, Respiratory, and even endocrine are condensed and very difficult. Our cardio class is over 100 lecture hours plus weekly labs of often 4 hours. This is much more than other schools (my friend called around to see), and is something most people interviewing here are not told. I am happy that I have learned so much, but it was not easy. We also have class in the summer AFTER boards (19 credits), and very very few meds schools do this. It certainly wasn't mentioned when I interviewed. This means you have to learn all those credits on your own if you want to take the boards without sacrificing 3rd year vacation time. And when you factor in people who have families and side-jobs, it does get very difficult to keep up and do well. Don't get me wrong-- I love it here (read my first post). I just didn't want someone on a wait-list to hold out for this school, and not having all the details.
Best wishes to you!
--michelle
MSU-COM 2002

Hi Michelle and MSUCOM2003,
Thanks a lot for the Info. I really appreciated it. I am already accepted at CCOM and would most probably be heading there if MSU does not work out. Actually last week, i found out that my rank on the Waitlist has jumped up to being in the top ten on the list. I have my fingers crossed.
I was actually under the impression that MSUCOM followed a systems cirricula, which is suppose to be better digestable and user friendly compared to traditional cirricula. Agains thanks a lot guys especially you michelle :).