Osteo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how many/which Osteopathic GS programs went unfilled this year? Looked on the AOA website, but it is really hard to make out...

Members don't see this ad.

NMH2001 said:
Anyone know how many/which Osteopathic GS programs went unfilled this year? Looked on the AOA website, but it is really hard to make out...
We had an unfilled spot at Mercy in Des Moines. We for some reason only ranked four applicants and one decided to match into ER. That is the problem with the whole AOA match, there is a lot of "under the table" activity and when a person is not being "honest" it may screw things up. We have had a lot of interest in our position but I think we may just leave it unfilled. Still up in the air as of right now.

NMH2001 said:

The AOA website makes the mistake (big surprise!) of not specifying the Traditional Rotating internships that are linked to GS (and other specialties) programs. They simply list them as "T" for Traditional Rotating when in fact many of them are linked to a specialty track. You have to go the ROLIC system to find out. The only way to do that is have registered months ago. I matched so I didn't look at it too closely--my program filled all spots so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be doing more work than would be humanly possible--but I saw roughly six or seven spots open nationwide in GS. Two in New York, one in Iowa, and the rest in Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with mercy and other program isn't that there is under the table agreements in the AOA match. The problem is that they didn't rank enough applicants. If they would have ranked six candidates they would have filled. Particularly because they send out letters to those who were alternates and the letter specifically stated they would be ranked as alternates and then the program only ranks four? They should have had there ducks in a row. Then to make matters worse your program coordinator was out of the office for around the whole week of the match, so anyone who wanted to scramble did, and mercy was left with whoever couldn't get a position anywhere else. I think they should revise how they match applicants in the future.

joedo said:
Hey there, a little off topic but does anyone know how competetive these osteo programs are?

I thought that it was a fairly competitive year. I know 16 spots initially went unfilled but I think that some of the "more popular" programs were very difficult to get into. Many of the people I knew applying or met at interviews has applied to 10+ and in some cases 20+ programs (including some allo).