Osteopathic Board of California Recognized Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MLKChocolate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was looking at the US osteopathic schools list and I was wondering which of those are recognized by the osteopathic board of California. (acceptable for licensure in California)

I remember seeing a list of recognized medical schools on the medical board of California site but I assume that's in regards to allopathic medical schools. I can't seem to find an equivalent list on the osteopathic board site.

Does anyone know where I can find this information? Or... is it the same list; which in that case means only about 3 osteopathic schools in the US are recognized by California :eek:.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have DO and complete a residency and passed your shelfs, then you are able to practice in California.

Agree with Serenade, no need to be paranoid. Pass the exams and go to medical school and be a doctor wherever you want

Members don't see this ad :)
why do they still have separate osteo medical boards? Esp in a broke state like California, you'd think some consolidation would be in order...

why do they still have separate osteo medical boards? Esp in a broke state like California, you'd think some consolidation would be in order...

There has been some consolidation. They've consolidated the bureau of Naturopathic Medicine into the Osteopathic Board. It's a real money saver. :rolleyes:

Hi everyone, I was looking at the US osteopathic schools list and I was wondering which of those are recognized by the osteopathic board of California. (acceptable for licensure in California)

I remember seeing a list of recognized medical schools on the medical board of California site but I assume that's in regards to allopathic medical schools. I can't seem to find an equivalent list on the osteopathic board site.

Does anyone know where I can find this information? Or... is it the same list; which in that case means only about 3 osteopathic schools in the US are recognized by California :eek:.

as long as the school is accredited by COCA (commission on osteopathic college accreditation), a division of the AOA, then the school is recognized by California for purposes of licensure.

Probably because California has a long and special relationship with Osteopathic Medicine, especially in the 1960's.

There has been some consolidation. They've consolidated the bureau of Naturopathic Medicine into the Osteopathic Board. It's a real money saver. :rolleyes:

the boards have been separated thanks to some hard work. DO and NP boards seem to be separate once again starting January 1, 2011.

read up on it here:

http://www.opsc.org/

the boards have been separated thanks to some hard work. DO and NP boards seem to be separate once again starting January 1, 2011.

read up on it here:

http://www.opsc.org/

NDs ... the NPs, although they practice medicine, have nothing to do with medical boards.

HOWEVER, thank you for the update! I'm honestly thrilled to hear this mistake (putting the ND board under the DO board) is fixed. :thumbup: :thumbup:

NDs ... the NPs, although they practice medicine, have nothing to do with medical boards.

HOWEVER, thank you for the update! I'm honestly thrilled to hear this mistake (putting the ND board under the DO board) is fixed. :thumbup: :thumbup:

err, my bad. but nonetheless , its great news. I truly am proud of the hard work these DOs did to restore "osteopathic autonomy".

Next up on the list-FIX THE RES.42 ISSUE IN THE STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA
Why don't the LECOM and PCOM administrations take a lead on this matter. I mean shouldn't the issue at least slightly affect the prospects of future applicants when considering actually going to either one of these schools?

err, my bad. but nonetheless , its great news. I truly am proud of the hard work these DOs did to restore "osteopathic autonomy".

Next up on the list-FIX THE RES.42 ISSUE IN THE STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA
Why don't the LECOM and PCOM administrations take a lead on this matter. I mean shouldn't the issue at least slightly affect the prospects of future applicants when considering actually going to either one of these schools?

For sure.