Osteopathic curriculums not conducive to USMLE preparation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinkleton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, with boards coming up in May, are any of you frustrated by your school's lack of emphasis on some USMLE Step 1 topics? Now, I don't mind all the clinical stuff we get (a bunch), but it's frustrating to see basic science short-changed. We rushed through all of biochem in like 2.5 weeks, not to mention genetics and even RBC/WBC path pretty quickly. Instead, it seems like every week we get the same micro lectures over and over again, with ridiculous minutiae. It's like a dang infectious disease rotation.

Just wondering if this is how it is at other DO schools, and how you guys are dealing with it. I feel like a need to spend like 2 whole weeks reviewing biochem but don't want to short change my step 1 studying, since I can't even start until the end of the month.

Look forward to everyone's input! :D

Members don't see this ad.

That's not how it's been so far at my school. Our entire first block was dedicated to the basic sciences like Biochem, Micro, Immuno, etc. Then with our systems-based blocks we get clinical reviews of each as it pertains to the system. Sorry to hear how it's been for you!

Thanks for the input. If you don't mind me asking, how long did you guys spend on biochem initially and is it incorporated into your system blocks? That would be very useful, since I think clinical biochemistry is very hard to memorize unless it is put into context

edit: and about the micro, it's not actually every week, but it's overemphasized. We spent around 4 lecture hours on coagulation/DIC/shock. We also got 4 hours of lecture on parasites

Members don't see this ad :)
Our first block was 8-10 weeks or so, can't remember exactly, and biochem ran almost the entire block (same for micro). We mostly get our biochem "reminders" here and there, mostly in our Pharm or Clinical Med classes.

I'm only in block 3 so far, and didn't get any more micro in block 2 (MSK), but I'm expecting probably a couple hours here and there until we get to our GI block, then we'll probably get more.

Hey guys, with boards coming up in May, are any of you frustrated by your school's lack of emphasis on some USMLE Step 1 topics? Now, I don't mind all the clinical stuff we get (a bunch), but it's frustrating to see basic science short-changed. We rushed through all of biochem in like 2.5 weeks, not to mention genetics and even RBC/WBC path pretty quickly. Instead, it seems like every week we get the same micro lectures over and over again, with ridiculous minutiae. It's like a dang infectious disease rotation.

Just wondering if this is how it is at other DO schools, and how you guys are dealing with it. I feel like a need to spend like 2 whole weeks reviewing biochem but don't want to short change my step 1 studying, since I can't even start until the end of the month.

biochem is considered low yield on the boards.

micro much higher yield where some of that minutiae will be tested (although chances are you'll have to memorize it again come prep time).

It doesnt really matter what your school teaches you because everyone's curriculum should be similar enough. Your board score is up to you. Most people that get 90s+ either worked really hard through m1 and m2, or they studied really really really hard for boards in the months leading up to them (I chose #2), or they're freaks. If you do uworld under time/random 2x and average ~70%, you're pretty much guaranteed 220, and I dont know anyone that scored lower after all of that.

biochem is considered low yield on the boards.

micro much higher yield where some of that minutiae will be tested (although chances are you'll have to memorize it again come prep time).

Isn't this more representative of the COMLEX?

biochem is definitely low yield on the usmle. focus on what's clinically relevant, like rate-limiting steps. all you need is in first aid and uworld.

youll get a systems case, and you'll know the diagnosis, but it'll ask for the mechanism of the pathology. Those 2nd and 3rd order questions come up a good bit. I'd recommend getting Kaplan biochem/immuno for usmle if you're not comfortable, it has hundreds of qs and is pretty easy to finish in 15-20hrs total id estimate. More questions you do, the better off you'll be

I've been told First Aid and Uworld has all the biochem info you will need to know for boards. Don't stress too much about it.

Obviously its not tailored to the USMLE. This is a DO school. Its tailored to the COMLEX.

My School acknowledges the need of both and has a curriculum that is geared for success on either test. It is what you put into it. You have to work hard regardless.

Our school would rather we not take the USMLE. It's funny though, because they discourage taking it, and then provide us with access to USMLE qbanks and the DIT course.

Take the damn USMLE, kids. It's more popularly accepted for a reason.

Our school would rather we not take the USMLE. It's funny though, because they discourage taking it, and then provide us with access to USMLE qbanks and the DIT course.

Take the damn USMLE, kids. It's more popularly accepted for a reason.

Woah really? I thought most places were gung ho on their students taking the USMLE because of the consequent better match list. What school is that ;o ?

Woah really? I thought most places were gung ho on their students taking the USMLE because of the consequent better match list. What school is that ;o ?

I wouldn't say my school discourages students to take the usmle, but they do make it seem like its unnecessary and the comlex will provide you with the same options.

I wouldn't say my school discourages students to take the usmle, but they do make it seem like its unnecessary and the comlex will provide you with the same options.

Iraq has WMDs
I did not have sexual relations with that woman
Read my lips, no new taxes

I guess what I'm trying to say is.......TAKE THE USMLE

Iraq has WMDs
I did not have sexual relations with that woman
Read my lips, no new taxes

I guess what I'm trying to say is.......TAKE THE USMLE

Hahaha! Word smithing indeed! Nice.