(Osteopathic) Doctor suspended after 4 patients test positive for hepatitis C

kenjixshadow

5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2014
Totland
Status
Medical Student
What a dumb ass. Why would you reuse dirty needles and/or did not properly clean medical equipment?! He should be arrested for being unhygienic alone.

Last edited:

68PGunner

LOL How much $$$ did he save by reusing those dirty needles? It's common sense. The same thing goes for not dating your pts. Note to the kiddos out there: DON'T DATE YOUR PTs!!! It's not worth it...

About the Ads

Reveler

2+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
After looking him up, I think we could edit the article to replace all references to "doctor" with "quack". Anti-aging and functional medicine? Should have taken away his license for selling voodoo a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: kovalchuk71

BorntobeDO?

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status
Medical Student
That is terrible, and look at the comments. Where does it say anything about reusing dirty needles? It talks about " inappropriate infection control practices and concerns regarding the preservation, preparation, handling and administration of medication." Sounds like his fridge temps were off and he had an infected provider. I just don't get reusing dirty needles from that.

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I agree it's unlikely to be reusing needles. Needles are cheap, there's no reason to reuse them unless you're injecting illegally and can't get needles.

Most likely, they contaminated a multi dose vial of something. They drew up a dose of something, injected a patient, then re-accessed the multidose vial. Even if you change needles (and keep the same syringe), you can contaminate the vial. Once that happens, everyone else getting a dose gets infected -- esp with Hep C.

Reactions: BorntobeDO? and GUH

getfat

5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
lol when an article starts out with "An Osteopathic doctor..." I know its gonna be a good one.
Seriously that part drives me nuts. We aren't witch doctors. I highly doubt this doctor performs any kind of OMT or any kind of bone magic.

68PGunner

I agree it's unlikely to be reusing needles. Needles are cheap, there's no reason to reuse them unless you're injecting illegally and can't get needles.

Most likely, they contaminated a multi dose vial of something. They drew up a dose of something, injected a patient, then re-accessed the multidose vial. Even if you change needles (and keep the same syringe), you can contaminate the vial. Once that happens, everyone else getting a dose gets infected -- esp with Hep C.
Curious quest... How do you infect a multi dose vial if you don't reuse needle and syringe? Is it common practice to keep the same syringe?

zero0

everything i hug dies
5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Curious quest... How do you infect a multi dose vial if you don't reuse needle and syringe? Is it common practice to keep the same syringe?
My guess is he reinserted the needle while he was with the same patient after messing up the dose on the first try. More of a negligence/laziness issue than cost saving. Either way I don't know why they felt the need to point out the fact that he was an osteopathic dr :smack: Maybe some bias on the author's part?

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Yes, usually the story is something like this: Get multidose vial of lidocaine. Draw up what you need and inject. In the middle of procedure, decide you need more. Take same syringe, draw up more. Inadvertently infect vial.

About the Ads