Osteopathic general surgery residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpl291

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is it for a DO to match in aoa Surgical residency vs a Md matching onto Acgme surgical residency. It's easy to look up the statistics for step scores and match rates of Md specialties but I can never find them for DO. Just trying to get and idea of how comepetitive it is.

Members don't see this ad.

From people on the trail, I have hear it is very tough.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am aware of the bias for the md match, but i was asking about how competitive the aoa/do residency's are. There are plenty of statistics about md's matching into surgical residencies, but i haven't been able to find anything about the DO match.

It is difficult to quantify how difficult it is to match AOA surg as a DO vs ACGME surg as an MD. There really are no data

Ok maybe if I simplify my question I'll get an actual answer. Would you say aoa surgical residency is easy moderate or difficult to match into?

All these insecure not so confident, looking for some one to validate their weaknesses by posting all these DO questions. You get into med school, you work hard and take board exams and depending on your performance you get a residency. there are outstanding DO and MD surgeons out there who graduated and did their residencies in different places around the country. stop the comparison and start working towards your future. also those who compare are probably those who were turned down by allo schools and now they are running all around the internet looking for someone to assure them that they'll be just fine being a DO. you are a disgrace to the DO community because there are actually bright students who choose DO for what it is. your future is important and its ok to do your research before you get into something but starting all these do/md comparison is dumb and shows how ignorant you are. there are better ways of going about it like talking to actual physicians in the field. Disgusting.

All these insecure not so confident, looking for some one to validate their weaknesses by posting all these DO questions. You get into med school, you work hard and take board exams and depending on your performance you get a residency. there are outstanding DO and MD surgeons out there who graduated and did their residencies in different places around the country. stop the comparison and start working towards your future. also those who compare are probably those who were turned down by allo schools and now they are running all around the internet looking for someone to assure them that they'll be just fine being a DO. you are a disgrace to the DO community because there are actually bright students who choose DO for what it is. your future is important and its ok to do your research before you get into something but starting all these do/md comparison is dumb and shows how ignorant you are. there are better ways of going about it like talking to actual physicians in the field. Disgusting.

I don't think you're understanding what the OP is trying to ask. I think he/she is just wondering how competitive it is to match into an AOA gen surg residency...period. They used the comparison of an MD matching into an ACGME residency as a "control" group if you will because that takes bias, the COMLEX etc. out of the equation. It was a harsh response to a fairly innocent question.

My thoughts on the OPs question are that it is a fairly similar situation. For an MD to match ACGME surgery it is typically considered moderately difficult (however this is depending on location as MGH is harder to get into than SUNY downstate for example). I would say it is similarly moderately difficult for a DO to match into an AOA GS residency (again location plays into this). Mostly this comes down to numbers ie there are more AOA GS spots than AOA optho making optho "more competitive/difficult".

I do think all AOA spots are going to get more competitive as more DO grads are hitting the market each year without new AOA spots opening up to keep pace.

An opinionated Pre-Med, how original.