Osteopathic GME Match: Open Up To MDs Or Face Consequences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coastie

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With match spots tightening up (see blooming thread below), does anyone else think that Osteopathic GME should be opened up to MDs?

I think it would be a good faith show and do a lot to put the final nails in the coffin of the MD/DO stigma. Besides, with the MD schools opening and ramping up students like cattle, it's only a matter of time before quite a few of them go unmatched. After the FMGs (who only really get spots now if they are exceptional), come the DOs.

If the AOA refuses to blend the matches, opening more spots to MDs, could there be a day where the MD match is closed to DOs? That would immediately screw DOs and shoot up the stigma factor.

Look ahead, AOA: Open up the match before you're shut out of it. Osteopath grads deserve to have their futures secured. We'll also increase the supply of docs by filling up every residency spot, thereby making a good case for increasing GME funding across the board.

Members don't see this ad.

This issue has been discussed ad nauseum in many other threads. Do a search.

Isn't this currently being debated in another thread? :confused:

This issue has been discussed ad nauseum in many other threads. Do a search.

Good luck in your search for a match spot..options are quickly becoming limited! Oh, and welcome to SDN. Your 13 posts have all been quite marvelous.

Good luck in your search for a match spot..options are quickly becoming limited! Oh, and welcome to SDN. Your 13 posts have all been quite marvelous.

There's no need to be nasty. A couple of threads below this one is the exact same conversation. You didn't say anything nasty to tigerzfan and he said the same thing! There's also one in allopathic and osteopathic. I was under a different user name but I have been contributing to SDN for about 3 years. I lost my password and the e-mail it was under, I no longer have. Anyways, I'm just tired to hearing this MD vs. DO residency debate. I don't care if you compete with me for DO osteopathic spots but like I mentioned in the previous thread (that is exactly like this one), you should have to sit out the allopathic thread just like we have to! You should also have to take the COMLEX like we have to take the USMLE to be competitive for allopathic spots. If you want to play by the osteopathic residency sites' rules, then I have no problem with you applying. Most DO students on these threads don't care either!

There's no need to be nasty. A couple of threads below this one is the exact same conversation. You didn't say anything nasty to tigerzfan and he said the same thing! There's also one in allopathic and osteopathic. I was under a different user name but I have been contributing to SDN for about 3 years. I lost my password and the e-mail it was under, I no longer have. Anyways, I'm just tired to hearing this MD vs. DO residency debate. I don't care if you compete with me for DO osteopathic spots but like I mentioned in the previous thread (that is exactly like this one), you should have to sit out the allopathic thread just like we have to! You should also have to take the COMLEX like we have to take the USMLE to be competitive for allopathic spots. If you want to play by the osteopathic residency sites' rules, then I have no problem with you applying. Most DO students on these threads don't care either!

Me being nasty? :laugh:

This isn't an MD vs DO thing. I'm saying it's an MD AND DO thing, and, in fact, it could be a saving grace to the DOs. I want to bring us together, putting a nail in the stigma arguments, and overall increasing the supply of physicians (via FULL residency slots).

COMLEX or USMLE should suffice for the DO residencies, as it does for MD ones. The AOA is holding DO's back, not putting DO's forward. I think things could get ugly in a few years, and I wish they had the foresight to plan for this..

You were being nasty and sarcastic in regards to my match and my prior posts. But anyways, what I don't think you understand is that I am on your side. I personally would love to see a combined match and make all spots (MD, DO) available to MD, DO, FMG, IMG, etc students. I do think it would do a lot for both the MD and DO communities. I just get frustrated b/c as DO students, I feel that we get a lot of flack for the AOA's decisions and the fact that MD students are not considered for DO residencies when we have no control over that. I also take issue with the fact that all of these threads came up only after a larger amount of MD students didn't match this year. It wasn't a big debate when this class was applying for residencies which it should have been if they truly wanted a DO residency spot. It irks me that many students only want these spots now that they have failed to match and failed to scramble.

You were being nasty and sarcastic in regards to my match and my prior posts. But anyways, what I don't think you understand is that I am on your side. I personally would love to see a combined match and make all spots (MD, DO) available to MD, DO, FMG, IMG, etc students. I do think it would do a lot for both the MD and DO communities. I just get frustrated b/c as DO students, I feel that we get a lot of flack for the AOA's decisions and the fact that MD students are not considered for DO residencies when we have no control over that. I also take issue with the fact that all of these threads came up only after a larger amount of MD students didn't match this year. It wasn't a big debate when this class was applying for residencies which it should have been if they truly wanted a DO residency spot. It irks me that many students only want these spots now that they have failed to match and failed to scramble.

No, I wasn't. In fact, you were being a bit lame with your "do a search" comment. You need to tone down your sensitivity meter.....If you can't take it, then don't dish it!

User are reminded that the Terms of Service (http://www.studentdoctor.net/sdn-forums-terms-of-service/) requests that users be courteous to each other

There are some forums on SDN where this is applied more loosely than others. General Residency is not one of them. Multiple complaints about a user will result in adminstrative action against that user.

Might this not result in MD's taking over most of the DO residencies in the competitive specialties like derm, etc...?

Might this not result in MD's taking over most of the DO residencies in the competitive specialties like derm, etc...?

This implies that they are superior (or different at all.) The AOA should open up their match to anyone who takes the COMLEX, and anyone who can take the USMLE should be able to take the COMLEX. I don't see this hurting anyone at all, and would be a good PR move for the AOA. I am sure they can work out the OMM issue in some way.

This implies that they are superior (or different at all.) The AOA should open up their match to anyone who takes the COMLEX, and anyone who can take the USMLE should be able to take the COMLEX. I don't see this hurting anyone at all, and would be a good PR move for the AOA. I am sure they can work out the OMM issue in some way.

I don't think it's about DOs being inferior. Since DOs are more or less unable to match to really competitive ACGME residencies (hard for MDs too, I know), but if MDs are considered equally for competitive fields in AOA residencies this would just hurt DOs getting into competitive residencies since DOs are not considered equal in some fields. Isn't this true? If DOs were considered equal to MDs for competitive slots, then it would be a nonissue, IMO.

I agree with opening up DO spots for MDs. Reciprocity is the name of the game.

However, lest not forget these are still DO residencies. Preference should be given to DO's applicants esp in the competitive fields (derm, ortho, ophtho, etc). We certainly face bias when we apply to competitive MD residencies! :)

Since DOs are more or less unable to match to really competitive ACGME residencies (hard for MDs too, I know)

This is untrue. Do you have some hard evidence to support this statement or is this just your pre-med opinion?

I agree with opening up DO spots for MDs. Reciprocity is the name of the game.

However, lest not forget these are still DO residencies. Preference should be given to DO's applicants esp in the competitive fields (derm, ortho, ophtho, etc). We certainly face bias when we apply to competitive MD residencies! :)
How would this preference be given? Officially? Or in the hush hush manner that exists for DO's applying to MD programs?

The allopathic schools have implemented the VSAS program to apply for 4th year electives but are not letting osteopathic students apply for these electives.

Why then should osteopathic schools open their match to allopathic students?

Link to VSAS: http://www.aamc.org/programs/vsas/students/start.htm
"VSAS is not yet available for international and osteopathic student use"

Some of these schools are allowing osteopathic students to apply via paper application, but I have noticed some allopathic schools using VSAS as an excuse to exclude osteopathic students from completing electives there. Also, at many schools the application fee is higher for osteopathic students than for american M.D. students. At Baylor & U. of Colorado, it costs a D.O. student $1000 to complete an elective there ($500 non-refundable application fee and $500 tuition) where it only costs M.D. students a few hundred dollars.

Last edited:
This is untrue. Do you have some hard evidence to support this statement or is this just your pre-med opinion?

I love it, you don't have hard evidence to the contrary, so you just call me a pre-med and move on. As if me being a pre-med means that everything that comes out of my mouth is false.

If this is untrue, you provide some hard evidence. Show me where DOs are in orthopaedic, derm, optho, etc. residencies. Of course there are some, but you the few token DOs in these residencies don't mean that DOs can don't face a real challenge to match in some of these specialties.

If this isn't the case, then why threads like this one?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=144792

Or how about from orthogunner (these guys aren't pre-meds):

"Before we begin, let us first say that if you are a non-allopathic student or an international medical graduate, you face an uphill battle trying to match into a US allopathic Ortho program. We are not saying it is impossible, but this post is directed primarily for those trying to get into programs that match their medical education. We recommend DO students to try to get into DO Ortho programs unless they are certain that an allopathic Ortho program does not care that they are not an MD. If you are either of those then you need to be a very special student AND you need to be certain that the allopathic programs do not care that you do not have a US MD degree. Most programs on the West and East coasts do care..."

You can see that here:

http://www.orthogunner.com/2007/10/are-you-a-compe.html

I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything, so if something I said is wrong, then by all means, correct it. I spend time here because I'm trying to being better informed about the world of medicine and medical education. But just because I'm a pre-med doesn't mean that I don't know anything. Just like being a student or resident doesn't mean that a person knows everything.

We should start the process to formalize the MDs right to access osteopathic (AOA) residencies RIGHT NOW...

Please... they have 8 urological surgery programs. I have NO CLUE why an "osteopathic" perspective is needed to treat (or enhances treatment of) urological problems -- so, MDs should be able to apply just as they could to our MD spots.

Here is their contact info:

Chicago Office – Main Headquarters
142 East Ontario Street
Chicago, IL 60611
Toll-free phone: (800) 621-1773
General phone: (312) 202-8000
Fax (312) 202-8200

Washington Office

1090 Vermont Ave.NW
Suite 510
Washington, DC 20005
Toll-free phone: (800) 962-9008
General phone: (202) 414-0140
Fax: (202) 544-3525

And, there direct email is [email protected]! Have fun!

good luck,
I don't see the DO residencies opening themselves up to MD students...there are just too many MD students, which might overwhelm the DO student applicants. However, if COMLEX is required that would cut down on the # of allos applying b/c not everybody will be up for taking 2 sets of exams.
I don't know what is on COMLEX, or if it is a lot different than USMLE...if not, there might be more high scoring allo students if they took COMLEX, since high standardized test scores are usually more important to getting in allo schools vs. DO schools (not that there aren't some gunner DO students with high MCAT scores too). If test scores tend to be considered heavily in DO residencies like urology or derm, the DO's might get screwed over by letting the MD students into their match, as there are many great standardized test takers in the MD student pool of people applying to stuff like derm and ortho and urology.

The DO's could start by opening up any unfilled prelim spots (? rotating internships) to all student (FMG/IMG/US allo, etc.) and see what happens. I mean, they should want to fill the spots anyhow. I suspect the biggest problem with this would be getting allo residencies to accept the DO TY year as an intern year, though...the allo hospitals will likely balk at this.

The allopathic schools have implemented the VSAS program to apply for 4th year electives but are not letting osteopathic students apply for these electives.

Why then should osteopathic schools open their match to allopathic students?

Link to VSAS: http://www.aamc.org/programs/vsas/students/start.htm
"VSAS is not yet available for international and osteopathic student use"

If people contact the program directly, there's often a paper application available for international and osteopathic students.

How would this preference be given? Officially? Or in the hush hush manner that exists for DO's applying to MD programs?

Advertising it is kind of poor form. The MD programs who are anti-DO are so behind closed doors -- i.e. it's not written in bold letters on their websites.

Competitive DO residencies should do the same. You (the MD) can apply but there is no gaurantee you will be interviewed "due to the record number of qualified applicants this year."

As for the unfilled DO internship, FM and IM spots, everyone will be on equal footing. First come first serve.

I vote "No".

I see no reason for DOs to give up one of our few competitive advantages.

I don't know what is on COMLEX, or if it is a lot different than USMLE...if not, there might be more high scoring allo students if they took COMLEX, since high standardized test scores are usually more important to getting in allo schools vs. DO schools (not that there aren't some gunner DO students with high MCAT scores too).

The COMLEX is a different test than the USMLE so it's hard to make any generalizations. To think that an allo student would score better just because they are smarter or better test takers borders on hubris. Sure, the basic science questions tend to be easier on the COMLEX and more of the 1st order. However, I would say 10-15% of the COMLEX is pure OMM and 20% more contain key osteopathic components. So to outperform the average DO, one would have to overcome the fact that the MD curriculum does not teach subject matter that is pertinent to answering 1/3 of the questions.

I don't think MDs would have to take a test based on information not taught by the MD curriculum. That would be counterproductive. DOs can apply to ACGME residencies without taking the USMLE, so I don't see why MDs would not be able to apply without taking the COMLEX.

If test scores tend to be considered heavily in DO residencies like urology or derm, the DO's might get screwed over by letting the MD students into their match, as there are many great standardized test takers in the MD student pool of people applying to stuff like derm and ortho and urology.

There will be DO programs that will only take DOs, same as there are MD programs that will only take MDs. No program will announce it as official policy but 'unwritten rules' do exist.
The DO specialty programs understand that there are very few opportunities for DOs in their field and the majority of the PDs are DOs themselves. I don't think MDs will push out DOs in the competitive specialties.
Another thing to consider. Would the match be combined or will the DO match still be first? Cause if the DO match remains first, there would be extremely few MDs in the DO match because if you match DO you are withdrawn from the MD match.

Last edited:
I vote "No".

I see no reason for DOs to give up one of our few competitive advantages.

That's fine. But hopefully you aren't one of the DOs complaining about the allopathic biases. We need our competitive advantages too!

We should start the process to formalize the MDs right to access osteopathic (AOA) residencies RIGHT NOW...

Please... they have 8 urological surgery programs. I have NO CLUE why an "osteopathic" perspective is needed to treat (or enhances treatment of) urological problems -- so, MDs should be able to apply just as they could to our MD spots.

Just because there are DO urology residency programs does not mean that they require an osteopathic perspective to succeed, but I don't see the AOA opening their residency program up to allopathic students. Most of the allopathic students that I have seen complaining about the availability of DO programs have been gunning for competitive specialities, derm, uro, ortho, etc. These are competitive enough for qualified DO students to land with a handful of programs and each program offerring usually 1-2 spots. Why would the AOA open these to allopathic students when there is certainly enough DO students applying to the competitive specialties (different for IM & FM)? Also, I would think COMLEX would be a minimum requirement for allopathic students trying to get into osteopathic residencies? There are still a good amount of programs that require USMLE step 1 and do not accept COMLEX, although this varies regionally. Just thinking....not saying it is right or anything

Last edited:
What if you contact DO programs directors directly, tell them you stats and interest, and make arrangement. That might work for some programs...

What if you contact DO programs directors directly, tell them you stats and interest, and make arrangement. That might work for some programs...

No it wouldn't.

You currently aren't qualified for an AOA residency without completing an osteopathic medical education. Program directors can't ignore the AOGME rules about who is eligible for residency.

There are a number of complications to simply opening up AOA residencies to MDs. Also, there is a better way to address the question.

First some clarification, there really aren't MD and DO residencies. There are residency program accredited by the ACGME, AOA or both. A DO can complete either an AOA or an ACMGE residency. There are some restrictions about states where that DO can practice and how far they can climb in AOA institutions if they have not completed an AOA accredited internship. MDs are elligible to complete an ACGME accredited residency.

Another important point is that simply completing a residency does not mean you can practice anywhere you want in that field. Most jobs want you to be BC/BE, meaning you have to be at least Board Elligible. An MD who completes an AOA residency would not be elligible to sit for the AOA boards under the current rules. Also, each state licensing board determines which physician they will issue a license to. Because it has never been tried before (at least that I could find), who knows if an MD who completes an AOA accredited internship and residency would be granted a licence in their state of choice, or any state for that matter.

So in order to do what has been suggested and make the playing field "fair", the rules for who can be admitted to an AOA residency would have to be ammended to allow MDs, each osteopathic board certification body would have to ammend their rules to allow MDs to become boarded through the respective AOA board, and each state would have to allow MDs who have completed such training and board certification to become licensed. That's a lot of work and I don't see that happening. There would be a lot of opposition to each step.

The simpler way to open the doors of all residency programs to all applicants would be to have each program become dually accredited (AOA and ACGME). The problems with this are that each program would have to elect to become dually accredited (and some wouldn't want to), not every program will be able to meet the requirements for dual accreditation, and from personal experience, it's a huge hassle for the residents and the program to have to do all the paperwork and jump through all the hoops twice. It also costs the program more money to do so.

But to be trully fair (an impossiblity), each ACGME program would have to seek AOA accreditation, or at least have an AOA accredited internship, and give equal consideration to DO applicants. How many ACGME derm or ortho or plastics programs would like to do that? Some ACGME primary care programs have done it, but it's usually when it serves there interests in recruiting and does not appear to be an effort at fairness.

I am sympathetic to those who call for all programs to be open to all applicants, but I don't think it's practically possible. If it makes you feel better to vent, that's fine. I wouldn't set my heart on any changes.

Last edited:
the AOA has shot this idea down numerous times already, despite the outcry from osteopathic medical students. the AOA claims that letting any old MD into DO residencies will make them lose their "osteopathic-ness". Whatever that means. An MD in an osteopathic residency justifies that DO=MD, but the AOA refuses to believe that, although they cannot quite articulate WHY a DO and MD are so different.

Just out of curiosity though, how many of you MD students would have applied to a DO residency, given the opportunity? Or does this issue only come up once people have to scramble? Are you aware of DO programs in your field or area when you are applying? I'm honestly curious, not trying to be a jerk.

Just out of curiosity though, how many of you MD students would have applied to a DO residency, given the opportunity? Or does this issue only come up once people have to scramble? Are you aware of DO programs in your field or area when you are applying? I'm honestly curious, not trying to be a jerk.

I bet those applying to competitive specialties would enjoy having an extra 100-200 spots available to them. For example: if you wanted to do ortho in Ohio, having both program options, basically doubles the amount of programs you can apply to.

I bet those applying to competitive specialties would enjoy having an extra 100-200 spots available to them. For example: if you wanted to do ortho in Ohio, having both program options, basically doubles the amount of programs you can apply to.

I agree with neurodropout that I don't think the DO's will start accepting MD applicants to their residencies any time soon, and even if they did there would be multiple accreditation and licensing issues for the MD trainee in such a program.

I think there would be quite a few MD students who would apply to DO programs (due to geography, as mentioned above) if the programs had dual ACGME and AOA accreditation.

I think if an MD candidate wants to put in the dozens, if not hundreds, of hours that me and my fellow classmates have put in to learning not just the written knowledge but the practice of OMM, then they are more than welcome to an osteopathic residency. I know I'm studying my butt of for both the comlex and usmle. That would be the only fair reciprocity in my mind.

I think if an MD candidate wants to put in the dozens, if not hundreds, of hours that me and my fellow classmates have put in to learning not just the written knowledge but the practice of OMM, then they are more than welcome to an osteopathic residency. I know I'm studying my butt of for both the comlex and usmle. That would be the only fair reciprocity in my mind.

Interesting point . I recently read an article in which osteopathic pds were saying that ostepathic residencies should be open to mds out of fear of losing funding . Of course they did say that mds should only apply for the unfilled do spots . Reciprocity ?

WHy do DO students want an MD residency afterall ?

12 anesthesiology programs, 18 derm, 31 ortho, 19 oto, 11 Neuro surg, 11 optho, 8 urology etc... ACROSS THE NATION! Some of these programs only offer a position every other year or less. So these "competitive" programs is what I am guessing the opening up of OGME would grant previously barred students. I am guessing the 172 Family Med programs or the 88 Internal Medicine programs are not what people are wanting.

With that being said, opening up OGME would benefit osteopathic students just because it defeats the argument of reciprocity and would technically give osteopathic students more claim to the 111 derm programs, 153 ortho programs, 131 anesthesiology programs, etc, the ACGME has to offer. Most of these programs take more residents then their osteopathic counterparts. Again the osteopathic students in the current climate (on the whole) aren't worried about the 458 Family Medicine residency programs.

http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/search/search.cfm
http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

Now I realize around 15,000 US MD seniors graduated compared to the around 3000-4000? osteopathic graduates. (I think this is the figure, but could find no hard evidence :confused:) With that being said most of these programs are not at "academic" centers or in "desirable" locations. These are just things to ponder as you think about this topic. Hope it was not too sketchy of an outline as it came from my brain.... :D

With that being said, opening up OGME would benefit osteopathic students just because it defeats the argument of reciprocity and would technically give osteopathic students more claim to the 111 derm programs, 153 ortho programs, 131 anesthesiology programs, etc, the ACGME has to offer. Most of these programs take more residents then their osteopathic counterparts. Again the osteopathic students in the current climate (on the whole) aren't worried about the 458 Family Medicine residency programs.

I would disagree that simply opening OGME up to MDs would help the individual DO applicants. Residency programs are not part of a highly centralized entity where each program follows the orders from upstairs. It's more like a loose confederacy under an accrediting body. Granted, accrediting bodies have flexed some muscle in the last decade to get more control (duty hours), but most programs do what they percieve to be in their best interest within the confines of the accrediting rules.

In order for reciprocity to benefit individual applicants (MD, DO, MBBS, etc.) the practices of individual programs would need to change to become degree blind. Some programs do this, but a lot aren't anywhere near it. Opening up the doors of all programs to all applicants would require a sweeping change in attitude amoung PDs and Resident Selection Committees. That's not something that can be changed solely by a change to the rules allowing MDs in an AOA accredited program.

12 anesthesiology programs, 18 derm, 31 ortho, 19 oto, 11 Neuro surg, 11 optho, 8 urology etc... ACROSS THE NATION! Some of these programs only offer a position every other year or less. So these "competitive" programs is what I am guessing the opening up of OGME would grant previously barred students. I am guessing the 172 Family Med programs or the 88 Internal Medicine programs are not what people are wanting.

http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/search/search.cfm
http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

Now I realize around 15,000 US MD seniors graduated compared to the around 3000-4000? osteopathic graduates. (I think this is the figure, but could find no hard evidence :confused:) With that being said most of these programs are not at "academic" centers or in "desirable" locations. These are just things to ponder as you think about this topic. Hope it was not too sketchy of an outline as it came from my brain.... :D

I went to a DO doctor for 15 years thinking she was an MD (cause her sign outside says so)
one day I looked her up and lo and behold the liar when to a DO school
there goes integrity!

what good are those dozens, if not hundreds, of hours if you end up in an allopathic residency where none of that OMM stuff is utilized?

WHy waste your 'OMM" hours and apply to MD ?

Contact the AOA contact person regarding permitting MDs to apply for AOA residencies. Here is the info:

Thomas Duffy, MPH Manager, OPTI & Trainee Services
Department of Education
American Osteopathic Association
142 E. Ontario St.
Chicago, IL 60611
Phone: (312) 202- 8068
Fax: (312) 202-8368
[email protected]

Last edited: