Osteopathic Internship Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ej6527

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,
From what I understand, if one does not do their osteopathic internship, we will not be eligible for licensure in 5 states (West Virginia, PA, Oklahoma, Florida, and Michigan).

DOes anyone know why these idiots are hurting their own profession by doing this? The osteopathic Internship is a waste of time. Just look at how many DO students are doing it, not that many. About %40 of internships are getting filled each year only! That should send a clear message to these state licensing boards and the AOA that the internship is a big joke.

Can anyone confirm to me that these are still the same 5 states that have this rule? Any opinions on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings everyone,
From what I understand, if one does not do their osteopathic internship, we will not be eligible for licensure in 5 states (West Virginia, PA, Oklahoma, Florida, and Michigan).

DOes anyone know why these idiots are hurting their own profession by doing this? The osteopathic Internship is a waste of time. Just look at how many DO students are doing it, not that many. About %40 of internships are getting filled each year only! That should send a clear message to these state licensing boards and the AOA that the internship is a big joke.

Can anyone confirm to me that these are still the same 5 states that have this rule? Any opinions on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum on here.

You can try a search to see what recent posts have said about this.

If you want to be a DO, you have to learn the rules of the game. If you don't like the requirements for osteopathic licensure, then there are other choices (such as allopathic, for example).

Besides, if 60% of DO students jumped off a cliff, would you too?

Personally, I think the internship is a good idea (not great, but good). As mentioned already, this is an often-discussed topic and a search will yield handsome results.