Quantcast

Osteopathic Med. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HolisticDoc16

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I have 266 hours of volunteer service at a nursing home that completed during my last year of high school (2009). I went to technical school during high school for my LPN license. I graduated nursing school with the highest grades of my classmates. However, my first year in college was difficult (c average). yikes. I have a gpa of 3.5 currently and this spring I will be graduating with my bachelors in nutrition. I'm hoping to bring my gpa higher for scholarship opportunities. I also have an associates of science degree, too. I have excellent work history in the health field, continuous work and promotions.

Since high school, I've only been able to complete volunteer hours here and there due to work/school, which leaves literally no more time for me (I'm taking 6 classes per semester to prepare myself for med school). Should I try to shadow an D.O.?? I'm currently setting up apt to shadow various D.O.'s in family medicine.

I will be taking the Mcat soon. I'm aiming for at least a 26. I'm 21 yr and I will be a Primary Care Osteopathic Physician some day!!

My first choice is LECOM, Erie, PA. What are my chances? I guess the only way to find out is apply! Before then, I'd love some advice. Thank you!! :)

Last edited:

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I have 266 hours of volunteer service at a nursing home that completed during my last year of high school (2009). I went to technical school during high school for my LPN license. I graduated nursing school with the highest grades of my classmates. However, my first year in college was difficult (c average). yikes. I have a gpa of 3.5 currently and this spring I will be graduating with my bachelors in nutrition. I'm hoping to bring my gpa higher for scholarship opportunities. I also have an associates of science degree, too. I have excellent work history in the health field, continuous work and promotions.

Since high school, I've only been able to complete volunteer hours here and there due to work/school, which leaves literally no more time for me (I'm taking 6 classes per semester to prepare myself for med school). Should I try to shadow an D.O.??

I will be taking the Mcat soon. I'm aiming for at least a 26. I'm 21 yr and I will be a Primary Care Osteopathic Physician some day!!

My first choice is LECOM, Erie, PA. What are my chances? I guess the only way to find out is apply! Before then, I'd love some advice. Thank you!! :)
If you can keep that 3.5 GPA and score 26+ mcat, you have a good shot at most DO schools.

HolisticDoc16

Reaction score
Yes, I will do my best! I had a rough first year, hopefully that doesn't hold me back from my dreams.

HolisticDoc16

Reaction score
I'm also interested in Rocky Vista, but I hear the tuition is high. Colorado is my favorite place and I know it sounds silly but I feel my happiest when I'm there. This is one of the main reasons why I'm interested in RV.

callmefanny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Since high school, I've only been able to complete volunteer hours here and there due to work/school, which leaves literally no more time for me (I'm taking 6 classes per semester to prepare myself for med school). Should I try to shadow an D.O.??

You should definitely shadow a DO. Especially if you haven't done it yet cuz you will need a letter of rec from one to apply to DO schools, including LECOM.
Also, don't worry about volunteering right now if you're working (I'm assuming full/part time as an LPN?) and going to school full time cuz they will see this.
So just keep up the GPA, study hard for that MCAT and get 26+ and you should be fine

HolisticDoc16

Reaction score
You should definitely shadow a DO. Especially if you haven't done it yet cuz you will need a letter of rec from one to apply to DO schools, including LECOM.
Also, don't worry about volunteering right now if you're working (I'm assuming full/part time as an LPN?) and going to school full time cuz they will see this.
So just keep up the GPA, study hard for that MCAT and get 26+ and you should be fine

Thank you, and yes I spoke with LECOM today and they said that I needed to shadow. I thought if I knew a D.O. personally, I could have a letter... But, the more practice the better! I will be setting something up soon.

HolisticDoc16

Reaction score
I was under the impression that I would need a 3.8 gpa according to MD schools to be considered competitive. I was shocked by how high the gpa's are for certain medical schools. Thank you all for your input!

tarheel1408

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my advice: don't use a picture of yourself as your avatar on SDN

you should be good as long as you do ok the mcat, but do your research on schools. sure colorado can be cool but have you looked into rvu? have you really looked into lecom? you need to decide the best fit for you based on: curriculum, tuition, location/cost of living, nearby support system, and if the schools mission statement represents yours, among other things. I think all DO schools are good enough to get you where you want to go though. I thought lecom-b would be cool, ended up interviewing there and quickly decided it wasnt for me to give you an idea.

Members don't see this ad :)

HolisticDoc16

Reaction score
you should be good as long as you do ok the mcat, but do your research on schools. sure colorado can be cool but have you looked into rvu? have you really looked into lecom? you need to decide the best fit for you based on: curriculum, tuition, location/cost of living, nearby support system, and if the schools mission statement represents yours, among other things. I think all DO schools are good enough to get you where you want to go though. I thought lecom-b would be cool, ended up interviewing there and quickly decided it wasnt for me to give you an idea.

I was interested in the scholars primary car program. Though, I'm not set on one school until I interview. I have checked into both, and there are many pros and cons. I'm not picky about clothes, and really not much. Do you have some schools you could recommend to me? I definitely need to keep researching. From what I understand, LECOM has a primary care scholar program, which I'm most interested in. All of my family lives in FL though... I live far up north already, and I'm not in need of my parents being there all-the-time. It would be nice though.

I was interested in the scholars primary car program. Though, I'm not set on one school until I interview. I have checked into both, and there are many pros and cons. I'm not picky about clothes, and really not much. Do you have some schools you could recommend to me? I definitely need to keep researching. From what I understand, LECOM has a primary care scholar program, which I'm most interested in. All of my family lives in FL though... I live far up north already, and I'm not in need of my parents being there all-the-time. It would be nice though.

i thought that pathway was cool too..then I really thought about it. Comitting yourself to primary care before you're even in medical school and have had the oppurtunity to fully explore your interests is just a bad idea. you may do that pathway hen realize..."hey i really hate primary care". now what? im not sure what the consequences are for dropping out but I heard that like 50% of the people that did that pathway ended up leaving that pathway (from what I heard, not sure how true). I hope you can switch from that to lecture based.

i cant really reccomend schools to you unless I know your mcat, your preferred way of learning etc. theres tons of different curriculums. ill be going into systems based curriculum with 30-32 hours a week of lecture. at lecom b its exclusiely PBL with pretty much indepedent reading the entire time.

HolisticDoc16

Reaction score
I learn best through discussions, being able to talk about the topics. I really suck with reading all the material on my own without help from professors. I'm the one who asks a millionx questions so I know allll about the subjects. Right now I'm taking 18 credit hours in school, which means I already spend well over 30 hours in my classes. I pretty much live at school ^_^

I'm committed to family care, and OB. I DISLIKE having to do c-sections, as I would rather assist with natural births. And I also really don't care for vaccinations, but maybe I'll be able to do holistic ones in my own practice one day? I previously wanted to become a nurse-midwife. But quickly realized my heart desires more than just delivering babies. Most of my family are working in medicine. I've had the chance to experience my interests and fig out what I don't like.

I will probably do well on the mcat. I'm aiming for at least a 26. I've been getting in the 30's during the kaplan practice tests (first time takers). However, chemistry is my worst subject....ek!

Do you know of any rankings for DO schools? I wonder how lecom ranks.

PatsFan08

Reaction score
I will probably do well on the mcat. I'm aiming for at least a 26. I've been getting in the 30's during the kaplan practice tests (first time takers). However, chemistry is my worst subject....ek!

Why aim for a 26 if you're getting 30's?! Aim high!

flodhi1

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
OP, Chemistry was my weakness but I worked hard and prepared with Berkeley review (TBR) and went from a 5 PS diagnostic to a 12 on the real deal. I would highly suggest that you take a look at TBR, in my honest opinion the PS section is the easiest to boost! You need to aim for a 37 not a 27, if you aim for a 37 then you'll end up doing fairly well. If you have a 3.5 AMCAS GPA and score > 32 you'll have a decent shot at MD schools too if you're interested in applying to MD with DO?

HolisticDoc16

Reaction score
OP, Chemistry was my weakness but I worked hard and prepared with Berkeley review (TBR) and went from a 5 PS diagnostic to a 12 on the real deal. I would highly suggest that you take a look at TBR, in my honest opinion the PS section is the easiest to boost! You need to aim for a 37 not a 27, if you aim for a 37 then you'll end up doing fairly well. If you have a 3.5 AMCAS GPA and score > 32 you'll have a decent shot at MD schools too if you're interested in applying to MD with DO?

Wow, congrats!! That's great to hear. I just bought the berkeley flash cards yesterday! I will be paying close attention to the PS section. Hows the verbal? I'm fairy good with verbal, and reasoning. Not to good with mathematics, and chem. That's what I'm mainly concerned w/. I'm trying to aim for 30's, but I'm going with the lowest score I've gotten w/ practice tests. Hence the word "at least". I know it'll be different on the exam day...

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I learn best through discussions, being able to talk about the topics. I really suck with reading all the material on my own without help from professors. I'm the one who asks a millionx questions so I know allll about the subjects. Right now I'm taking 18 credit hours in school, which means I already spend well over 30 hours in my classes. I pretty much live at school ^_^

I'm committed to family care, and OB. I DISLIKE having to do c-sections, as I would rather assist with natural births. And I also really don't care for vaccinations, but maybe I'll be able to do holistic ones in my own practice one day? I previously wanted to become a nurse-midwife. But quickly realized my heart desires more than just delivering babies. Most of my family are working in medicine. I've had the chance to experience my interests and fig out what I don't like.

Do you know of any rankings for DO schools? I wonder how lecom ranks.
While I agree that cesarean deliveries can be less than rewarding, a resistance to vaccination, as a medical professional will not be consistent with the standard of care anywhere I know. In fact, you must also be vaccinated frequently as part of your committment to protecting the public.

Last edited by a moderator:

HolisticDoc16

Reaction score
I had a bad reaction to a vaccine, and I've been able to fill exemption forms since... Hopefully that will continue. I don't mind having a holistic vaccine, as long as there's no harmful preservatives but NOT the flu shot. I have the right to say no, too.

coolingglasses

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I agree that cesarean deliveries can be less than rewarding, a resistance to vaccination, as a medical professional will not be consistent with the standard of care anywhere I know. In fact, you must also be vaccinated frequently as part of your committment to protecting the public.

This. The major childhood vaccinations have proven to be effective and even a small amount of non-compliance damages herd immunity.

I had a bad reaction to a vaccine, and I've been able to fill exemption forms since... Hopefully that will continue. I don't mind having a holistic vaccine, as long as there's no harmful preservatives but NOT the flu shot. I have the right to say no, too.

What's a holistic vaccine? Anyway, I -may- be on board with you for the flu shot.

HolisticDoc16

Reaction score
This. The major childhood vaccinations have proven to be effective and even a small amount of non-compliance damages herd immunity.

What's a holistic vaccine? Anyway, I -may- be on board with you for the flu shot.

I agree, there are essential vaccines such as Polio or HepB. But all of them can be given holistically, which means it will not contain heavy metals or harmful chemicals. I don't believe autism has anything to do with vaccines themselves, but I think early umbilical cord clamping or possibility even GMO's in our food have a much greater link.

However, there are many doctors and researchers who are now finding that vaccines have made diseases stronger-than-ever. I'm not sure how true this is, but it's possible that pathogens can mutate and become our worst enemy -- resistant to all medications.

The flu shot on the other-hand does not have enough effective percent for me to inject into my system. I've only been sick a handful of times in my life, literally. I never get sick and I work with sick people all day. Sometimes I get a scratchy throat, or runny nose but then it goes away without me becoming ill. There's no way I will get the flu shot. Plus, if it's suppose to activate my immune system, then why doesn't it help produce antibodies? The CDC admits that vaccines wear off. If it was true immunity, it should last a lifetime. But, it doesn't.

coolingglasses

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I agree, there are essential vaccines such as Polio or HepB. But all of them can be given holistically, which means it will not contain heavy metals or harmful chemicals. I don't believe autism has anything to do with vaccines themselves, but I think early umbilical cord clamping or possibility even GMO's in our food have a much greater link.

However, there are many doctors and researchers who are now finding that vaccines have made diseases stronger-than-ever. I'm not sure how true this is, but it's possible that pathogens can mutate and become our worst enemy -- resistant to all medications.

The flu shot on the other-hand does not have enough effective percent for me to inject into my system. I've only been sick a handful of times in my life, literally. I never get sick and I work with sick people all day. Sometimes I get a scratchy throat, or runny nose but then it goes away without me becoming ill. There's no way I will get the flu shot. Plus, if it's suppose to activate my immune system, then why doesn't it help produce antibodies? The CDC admits that vaccines wear off. If it was true immunity, it should last a lifetime. But, it doesn't.

Well the flu shot bears repeating because the strains change so much from year to year. That said, I usually don't get it (the shot or the flu)

I haven't seen any literature on vaccines increasing resistance, though I could see it if you didn't finish out your scheduled vaccinations (much like misuse and improper use of antibiotics, which drives me nuts)

HolisticDoc16

Reaction score
Well the flu shot bears repeating because the strains change so much from year to year. That said, I usually don't get it (the shot or the flu)

I haven't seen any literature on vaccines increasing resistance, though I could see it if you didn't finish out your scheduled vaccinations (much like misuse and improper use of antibiotics, which drives me nuts)

Agreed. Are you in med school yet? Do you happen to know if we need up-to-date vaccines? I'm only 21. My antibodies should still be strong from when I was a child and received my polio,hepb, tetanus, etc. I know tb with definitely be checked and a physical. I don't see the need to receive yearly flu shots. I'd rather get the flu, and take off work, need be, than the shot. :thumbup:

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, you do have the right to decline vaccination, but as a medical student you will have signed an attestation that indicates that you understand that the failure to meet hospital safety requirements will be grounds for dismissal. It is a choice made at great personal cost.

HolisticDoc16

Reaction score
Yes, you do have the right to decline vaccination, but as a medical student you will have signed an attestation that indicates that you understand that the failure to meet hospital safety requirements will be grounds for dismissal. It is a choice made at great personal cost.

Yes, but just because my body can't handle vaccines - doesn't make me any less of a physician, than a person who can handle a vaccine. There HAS to be some sort of exemptions for medical reasons, such as wearing masks... My mother's a nurse and she also can't handle vaccines and also had a bad reaction. She's allowed to wear a mask instead from nov-feb. I'm not harming anyone by not being able to have a vaccine. If anything, the vaccines could be doing more harm than good if they are ineffective and dangerous... I will not take the chance of having seizures, permanent damage, etc. Why is it all of the sudden the need to have forced vaccinations? Why not 10 years ago? I feel like my rights have been violated.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, but just because my body can't handle vaccines - doesn't make me any less of a physician, than a person who can handle a vaccine. There HAS to be some sort of exemptions for medical reasons, such as wearing masks... My mother's a nurse and she also can't handle vaccines and also had a bad reaction. She's allowed to wear a mask instead from nov-feb. I'm not harming anyone by not being able to have a vaccine. If anything, the vaccines could be doing more harm than good if they are ineffective and dangerous... I will not take the chance of having seizures, permanent damage, etc. Why is it all of the sudden the need to have forced vaccinations? Why not 10 years ago? I feel like my rights have been violated.
I can see why you feel this way, but even if, through no fault of your own (religious beliefs, medical problems...) you can not meet technical standards (including annual vaccination for flu) you would not be considered for admission at schools that require that you be able to comply with patient safety standards at their hospitals.

At my hospital I can not care for patients if I have not had the annual flu shot. My students can not care for patients if they dont have the sticker on their badge that indicates that their flu shot is up to date.

HolisticDoc16

Reaction score
I can see why you feel this way, but even if, through no fault of your own (religious beliefs, medical problems...) you can not meet technical standards (including annual vaccination for flu) you would not be considered for admission at schools that require that you be able to comply with patient safety standards at their hospitals.

At my hospital I can not care for patients if I have not had the annual flu shot. My students can not care for patients if they dont have the sticker on their badge that indicates that their flu shot is up to date.

Well, I will have to present the data representing it's ineffectiveness to the schools - or even the state, if I have to. A flu shot is ridiculous. Why has this country become so corrupt? Do these "safety" measures even make a difference? I bet they don't. People will always get sick. If you get the flu shot, that doesn't mean you're protected - whatsoever. The scientist guess which flu will be circulating the following year and most of the time their incorrect. I opt for wearing a mask if I have to. I, medically, can't handle vaccines. This is discriminating, and violating my rights to become a physician.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I will have to present the data representing it's ineffectiveness to the schools - or even the state, if I have to. A flu shot is ridiculous. Why has this country become so corrupt? Do these "safety" measures even make a difference? I bet they don't. People will always get sick. If you get the flu shot, that doesn't mean you're protected - whatsoever. The scientist guess which flu will be circulating the following year and most of the time their incorrect. I opt for wearing a mask if I have to. I, medically, can't handle vaccines. This is discriminating, and violating my rights to become a physician.
You may certainly try a legal challenge. Historically however, legal challenges to medical school's technical standards have not been upheld by the courts. Partly, perhaps due to another misperception in your post. To be physician is actually not a right, it's a privilege. A privilege that is associated with many responsibilties, some of which are not required of regular citizens (or employees) under the law.

HolisticDoc16

Reaction score
You may certainly try a legal challenge. Historically however, legal challenges to medical school's technical standards have not been upheld by the courts. Partly, perhaps due to another misperception in your post. To be physician is actually not a right, it's a privilege. A privilege that is associated with many responsibilties, some of which are not required of regular citizens (or employees) under the law.

I agree, it is a privilege. Though, by me not being able to handle a vaccine doesn't disqualify myself from becoming a physician. This is absurd. flu's will always occur no matter how many vaccines we give out. This is not right...