Osteopathic Medcine poised to take over allopathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DRLEWISDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to these boards but I must say that I am pleased by what I see. Osteopathic medicine has made tremendous strides in the last 30 years and I think we are poised to take over allopathics medicine's stronghold on America's Health Care. I think, Osteopathic graduates are more well trained and more well rounded and just plain better than the average MD graduate. THIS IS NOT MEANT TO START A FLAME WAR. SO PLEASE READ ON. Today's average Osteopathic medical college matriculant is at least as well qualified with respect to GPA/MCAT, etc as MD applicants. I would say that the old stigma of DO schoosl being MD backups is over. It has been siad that approx 99% of all current DO students had been accepted to an MD school of some kind. This is good for our profession. Our schools train us in the essential biological sciences and we get osteopthic manipulation courses which place us above our MD counterparts in therapeutic modalities we can offer our patients. I can't imagine why anyone would choose MD over DO, when you get more for your educational dollar by going DO. This is not a slight to MD schoos, which do a good job of educating for the most part. I think it is only a matter of time before you see DO's taking over major academic institutions like Mass General, Duke, Hopkins, etc. It is clear that patients want something more than what the average MD graduate is delivering. DO graduates have all of the tools at their disposal to soar in today's medical climate. It is no coincidence that there has not been a new MD school opened in 30 odd years, but we have new DO schools opening every year. There is a reason why people. The US consumer wants us, and more of us. It is now time for the major academic institutions of America to start letting DO's in charge. Untill Duke, Harvard, Yale, etc have a DO running the surgery depts or being the chair of medicine, etc.. there will be work for all of us to do. I don't think it is possible for a "DO Hopkins" to be created now. Instead there needs to be a change now with most major centers at the top levels. We can offer somehting that MD's can't.....OMM. OMM can play a key role in treating many common medical disorders, and at a time when US health dollars are at a premium, it will be no suprise that many if not all insurers, etc.. are gonna want non-drug and surgical ways to fight disease (i.e Craniosacral therapy). Be proud of being a DO, you are part of the future of medicine and more importantly part of a major turn in the way Americans receive Health Care.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I realize you are new here and don't want to start a flame war, but if you had looked around before you posted you would realize that most people here are unable to avoid it. I wish you the best of luck, but prepare to get flamed.

Anyway, on to the substance of your post, in the next 20 years, I see a unification happening in medicine. I don't, however, see DOs taking over major allopathic institutes. Yes, we are starting to see our colleagues everywhere, but we will forever be the minority and though we will probably keep our degrees, I eventually see medical education being unified across the board.

wbdo

who let the troll out of the cage? (has only 1 post :rolleyes: )

do not feed wild trolls.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming the OP is not a troll...

DO students "at least as well-qualified with respect to GPA/MCAT as MD applicants"? I'll be a DO student myself this Fall, but that statement is just plain untrue based on facts. So is that "99% of all current DO students had been accepted to an MD school of some kind."

I'm all for osteopathic medicine, and certainly don't think it's inferior in any way, but leave out the false information.

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread.

While the OP is certainly free to post his opinion, I think that unless after a search on this forum on this topic - which has been flamed and hashed to death, that the OP thinks there is something more to add to the discussion, that the thread will remain closed.

If anyone disagrees with my decision, please PM me to discuss. Thanks!

- Tae

Status
Not open for further replies.