Osteopathic Medical School MATCH/RESIDENCY Rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharm21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Is there any website or book that gives the 2007 DO Schools match/residency rates. Like which schools get have high rates for top 3 choices??

I am curious about NSU-COM, PCOM, and LECOM.

Please post the Match Residency Rates if available and if some specialty at a certain school gets a lot of residencies.

Thanks all,

FutureDr08

Members don't see this ad.

Ok,

#1: Focus on graduating from high school!

#2: Figure out where you want to go to college and what major you are interested in.

#3: Figure out if you want to go to pharmacy school or medical school.

#4: Don't worry about residency match lists at least for the next couple of years, but preferably forever, as they don't really mean much.

Last, enjoy being young . . . get into some harmless trouble and have some fun . . . don't take yourself too seriously right now. ;)

Good Luck :luck:

yeah, the most you should think right now is getting ready for the MCAT. Once, you get your MCAT scores then you will know where to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, Is there any website or book that gives the 2007 DO Schools match/residency rates. Like which schools get have high rates for top 3 choices??

I am curious about NSU-COM, PCOM, and LECOM.

Please post the Match Residency Rates if available and if some specialty at a certain school gets a lot of residencies.

Thanks all,

FutureDr08
I know you were considering BS/DO and have applied to the various programs out there. I would concentrate on getting into the programs first and then deciding which program would be best for satisfying your interests. Quite a bit happens during your undergraduate years and you want those years to be the foundation of whatever you choose to do later on your life, whether it be medicine or something else. Locking yourself into one thing so early can lead some to lose focus and become, well...bitter. Just my $0.02 of course.

Okay, here are some responses to what people said:

I have gotten accepted to 2 BS/DO programs, one in Gannon/PCOM and the other with Nova and NSU-COM, I'm having a tough time deciding, and was wondering about match rates because I want to do residency near Chicago preferably...

next, I am a normal teen, I have friends, live life and have fun, so don't think I am a crazy neurotic psycho who worries about school too much, I don't but school is definitely a priority and I am motivated to achieve my goals

and I am 90% sure I want to be a doctor, so why not do a BS/DO program to reserve a seat, if I change my mind, then I can still do that

The pharmacy name is wrong, it's my bro's name for forum...

SO BACK TO MY QUESTION HAHA SORRY:

Why are match rates not important and can anyone post them for NSU-COM and PCOM, thanks!

Okay, here are some responses to what people said:

I have gotten accepted to 2 BS/DO programs, one in Gannon/PCOM and the other with Nova and NSU-COM, I'm having a tough time deciding, and was wondering about match rates because I want to do residency near Chicago preferably...

next, I am a normal teen, I have friends, live life and have fun, so don't think I am a crazy neurotic psycho who worries about school too much, I don't but school is definitely a priority and I am motivated to achieve my goals

and I am 90% sure I want to be a doctor, so why not do a BS/DO program to reserve a seat, if I change my mind, then I can still do that

The pharmacy name is wrong, it's my bro's name for forum...

SO BACK TO MY QUESTION HAHA SORRY:

Why are match rates not important and can anyone post them for NSU-COM and PCOM, thanks!

residency matchlists should be at the sticky at the top of the forums. Congrats on the BS/DO programs. I personally think NSU and PCOM are both wonderful schools, you don't need to stress about matching from them (and match lists don't tell you a ton for that matter-especially NSU because many people intend to practice in FL and have to complete the AOA internship requirment for that state first ... don't freak out abut this either), and most importantly try to maintain somewhat of a normal life in college. I know you have to keep a certain gpa/mcat to continue in these programs, but don't loose sight of the big picture too much. Also, I'd be 100% sure about wanting med if I were you. Pick the school that feels best for you. Good luck, and congrats again.

A lot can change in 3 years of undergrad with regards to match rates and what not. Either school will give you a fine opportunity to match near chicago. That being said, I know 2 people from PCOM who did their residency in chicago and none from Nova, but that is a really really really small sample size that one shouldn't take stock in. You get the benefits of all the med schools in the chicago area. Also, I'm not saying you will change your mind, but nearly everybody who enters as premed is "90% sure [they] want to be a doctor". People do change their minds, so just don't feel pigeonholed into becoming a doctor because of this program. Keep your eyes open and enjoy classes outside of science. Aside from a broader view, they will also just make you a more interesting person to talk to. I think most of the people on here have friends and a life. It is natural to want to look that far ahead. I think most of us did it. I was looking at phd programs in German and Applied Linguistics my freshman year of college. Now....I'm pretty far away from that. There were once wise words said in the movie What about Bob?, " ...baby steps get on the elevator... baby steps get on the elevator... Ah, I'm on the elevator."

There were once wise words said in the movie What about Bob?, " ...baby steps get on the elevator... baby steps get on the elevator... Ah, I'm on the elevator."

I :love: that movie! I haven't seen it in a while, so I'm putting it on my Netflix now, thanks! ;)

I :love: that movie! I haven't seen it in a while, so I'm putting it on my Netflix now, thanks! ;)

I do what I can to remind people of movies from the early 90s. It is a good one though. I saw it at blockbuster the other day and ALMOST rented it, but the odd foreign film won out.

....Is there any website or book that gives the 2007 DO Schools match/residency rates. Like which schools get have high rates for top 3 choices??....

Back to the topic...

No, there is no website or book that gives overall match rates. The rates for AOA residencies are published each year (should be in the April issue) in JAOA, but they don't really tell you anything. The average is that 90% of people applying to AOA residencies get there first choice. Schools don't generally post an overall rate including ACGME residencies because they are not required to do so.

Each school has some very good matches every year and some not so very good ones. It really doesn't matter so much where you go as it does how much work you piut into it. Obviously, you have a better chance at matching if you are well-known to the program director and administration, but it doesn't always mean that much.

For example, I've argued a few times with someone who claimed that going to PCOM gave him a better shot at getting a general surgery spot at PCOM. It might in some cases....but think about this. Some years PCOM takes 4 or 5 PCOM students into that residency and some years it takes one. Assuming that more than one person from PCOM applied for the available residency spots and only one got in that year, it sure didn't help the people who matched elsewhere. What is likely is that it could just as well hurt you as help you because you very well may have a conflict with a particular resident who might sway the director. It really does come down to how well you fit into the existing program. These people are going to be working with you for 3, 4 or more years and want a good fit. They want to see someone who knows his or her stuff and works their butt off every day without complaints. Show them that, get some stellar board scores and you've got just as good a shot as anyone else.

So, the thing to worry about now is not really match rates. It's time to concentrate on performing well today. You can succeed no matter where you end up. Don't put the cart before the horse. Many athletes start thinking about the big game in two weeks and forget about the one this week. We all know what happens then.

Okay, well I think I have decided and am fairly certain about Nova because I like their programs, location minus hurricanes part, and their Match rates are better than PCOM's in past 5 years except they tied last year

what do you all think of my Nova decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, well I think I have decided and am fairly certain about Nova because I like their programs, location minus hurricanes part, and their Match rates are better than PCOM's in past 5 years except they tied last year

source please? as far as I know those statistics don't exist

Now look what you've done, there's a PCOM third-year all in a tizzy. Give him your sources, stat!

I'd just refer him to my MDApps link (below) if I were you. :thumbup:

Otherwise, I think SCPOD pretty much laid it out like it is... no e-penis flexing (LOL Jaggerplate).

hey does anyone know what is the rate of getting your first choice from an osteopathic school in allopathic residencies.

Here are the sources for stats, and they are correct except they don't include the DO applicants applying towards MD residency, this is simply the stats for DO applicants applying for DO residency programs

I think PCOM is a great school, highly-reputable and a lot of people recommended it to me, BUT I DON'T like the undergrad school Gannon in Erie, ew, and I like Nova's programs including Honors program, volunteering programs, and overall atmosphere/location, not to mention their placement stats are better if not equal to PCOM, see for yourself:

https://www.do-online.org/files/lcl_optirepmatch.pdf

I don't mean to disrespect PCOM students in any way, because in the end it doesn't matter, a DO school is a DO school, you learn medicine and OMM and move on to residency

so what do people think about NOVA and NSU-COM? (Did I make the best decision, please elaborate, because I can still switch plans lol it's true...I have until May 1st)

hey does anyone know what is the rate of getting your first choice from an osteopathic school in allopathic residencies. YES PLEASE SOMEONE GET THESE, I WANT TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY BIAS, WHICH THERE IS I HEAR?

hey does anyone know what is the rate of getting your first choice from an osteopathic school in allopathic residencies. YES PLEASE SOMEONE GET THESE, I WANT TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY BIAS, WHICH THERE IS I HEAR?

I doubt you'll ever get these statistics because DO schools are under no obligation to publish such numbers. You are, however, more than welcome to do your own research.

Here are the sources for stats, and they are correct except they don't include the DO applicants applying towards MD residency, this is simply the stats for DO applicants applying for DO residency programs

I think PCOM is a great school, highly-reputable and a lot of people recommended it to me, BUT I DON'T like the undergrad school Gannon in Erie, ew, and I like Nova's programs including Honors program, volunteering programs, and overall atmosphere/location, not to mention their placement stats are better if not equal to PCOM, see for yourself:

https://www.do-online.org/files/lcl_optirepmatch.pdf

I don't mean to disrespect PCOM students in any way, because in the end it doesn't matter, a DO school is a DO school, you learn medicine and OMM and move on to residency

so what do people think about NOVA and NSU-COM? (Did I make the best decision, please elaborate, because I can still switch plans lol it's true...I have until May 1st)

I understand your decision not to go to PCOM but id like to point out that the source you gave shows that over HALF the PCOM class doesn't even enter the osteopathic match and there are also a fair ammount who only try it for one program. I wouldnt want to live in erie for four years either.

Johnny, good point, I never took that under consideration, but it's also true PCOM seems to have more medical students compared to NSU-COM, but would you want more med students to compete with or fewer?

Right now, I'm just going to take it step by step, I don't know why I am so worried about residency match rates because it is important, but I am not even done with high school-I'm a senior going to a 7 year program....but I can always apply out...

I recently heard something I did not like: In urban cities that are densely populated, there is a preference at good hospitals for MD's not DO's, I heard DO's have trouble finding jobs? Is this bias true since I thought the bias was washing away?

Johnny, good point, I never took that under consideration, but it's also true PCOM seems to have more medical students compared to NSU-COM, but would you want more med students to compete with or fewer?

Right now, I'm just going to take it step by step, I don't know why I am so worried about residency match rates because it is important, but I am not even done with high school-I'm a senior going to a 7 year program....but I can always apply out...

I recently heard something I did not like: In urban cities that are densely populated, there is a preference at good hospitals for MD's not DO's, I heard DO's have trouble finding jobs? Is this bias true since I thought the bias was washing away?

No one competes at PCOM. Its not in the nature of the student body. Also in philly DOs are at every hospital in every department and lead many of the departments too. The same can be said of Chicago because those two schools decided not to hide in the middle of no where when they set up shop a 100 years ago.

Don't believe this garbage ... especially because it probably came out of the mouth of someone wearing a t-shirt with the words 'PRE-MED' blasted across it. Is the playing field 100% equal between DOs and MDs in every MD residency ... no, absolutely not. DOs have residencies they can only apply to, and in some cases (rare as they may be) there is a bias for MDs in an MD residency. Now, if you are trying to match MD derm or integrated plastics or something ... yes, this is a valid concern. However, landing a residency in an 'urban' hospital as a DO - not a problem. People do it constantly, especially if you are looking at something like IM or ER (especially IM). Once again though, you are getting so far ahead of yourself. I've noticed how many threads you have made about all this jazz ... honestly, you need to calm down. You'll figure all this out in time, and need to focus more on getting yourself set up as an undergrad right now.

Don't believe this garbage ... especially because it probably came out of the mouth of someone wearing a t-shirt with the words 'PRE-MED' blasted across it. Is the playing field 100% equal between DOs and MDs in every MD residency ... no, absolutely not. DOs have residencies they can only apply to, and in some cases (rare as they may be) there is a bias for MDs in an MD residency. Now, if you are trying to match MD derm or integrated plastics or something ... yes, this is a valid concern. However, landing a residency in an 'urban' hospital as a DO - not a problem. People do it constantly, especially if you are looking at something like IM or ER (especially IM). Once again though, you are getting so far ahead of yourself. I've noticed how many threads you have made about all this jazz ... honestly, you need to calm down. You'll figure all this out in time, and need to focus more on getting yourself set up as an undergrad right now.

okay so what if I want to be a doctor and do pre-med since I was in middle school? There's probably a million people like that who go to these forums and ask questions, this is where curious people can learn more, that's the point...

I have written a lot of question and posted a lot of stuff partly due to its my spring break and I have a lot of time to do nothing...I am quite calm and do need to focus more on undergrad...

and there clearly is bias with MD's and DO's but I'm not sure how much there still exists, but I have shadowed multiple DO's and both said there is bias today....

lol true I only shadowed 2 DO's, BUT that's a lot compared to a lot of college undergrads that have done no career shadowing and want to be DO's, admit it, there are a lot of people like that

I'm only a high school senior so I suppose I will gain a better perspective in college

lol true I only shadowed 2 DO's, BUT that's a lot compared to a lot of college undergrads that have done no career shadowing and want to be DO's, admit it, there are a lot of people like that

I'm only a high school senior so I suppose I will gain a better perspective in college

Not to pick on you (I think you've taken a lot on here) but I highly doubt that anyone can get into medical school these days without some shadowing and/or hospital experience. And with the number of DO schools that want a letter of recommendation from a physician, preferably a DO, it would be very hard to be pre-DO without talking to some DOs. And if you've looked around enough on SDN you should have seen that most DOs would say that they haven't experienced any bias (Including the ones I've talked to, some of which teach at an allopathic school). There may be some people (pre-meds, general public, or even a few MDs) who have that bias but there is also bias which exists against male or female or foreign physicians. Point is: not everyone is going to like you no matter what you do; it's just something you'll have to deal with in the "real world".

I think people are discouraging you from the BA/DO route because we have all known sooo many people who started college as pre-med but have since found another field of science (PhD, PA, pharm, etc.) or psychology/social work was really more to their liking. There just isn't enough career information in high school to give you a good idea about what you want to do, partially because I think real world experience with an adult brain is necessary to figure out your lifestyle preferences. So I know you said that you can drop out of the program, and I would encourage you to seriously consider other careers even if you do one of the BS/DO programs.
Becoming a physician is one of the toughest (emotionally/physically draining), careers out there and many physicians will tell you its not worth it. If you want an honest idea about what you have to look forward to in 6-8 years read The Intern Blues.
And if you've read enough of SDN then you should know that in terms of residency the school you go to matters less than your grades and how well you do on the board exams.

Not to pick on you (I think you've taken a lot on here) but I highly doubt that anyone can get into medical school these days without some shadowing and/or hospital experience. And with the number of DO schools that want a letter of recommendation from a physician, preferably a DO, it would be very hard to be pre-DO without talking to some DOs. And if you've looked around enough on SDN you should have seen that most DOs would say that they haven't experienced any bias (Including the ones I've talked to, some of which teach at an allopathic school). There may be some people (pre-meds, general public, or even a few MDs) who have that bias but there is also bias which exists against male or female or foreign physicians. Point is: not everyone is going to like you no matter what you do; it's just something you'll have to deal with in the "real world".

I wanted to add to this point. I will be attending an osteopathic school this fall. I did apply to both osteopathic and allopathic, but I did have a preference for DO. A months ago, I was speaking with a friend of mine (a MD) about MDs looking down upon DOs. I told him that I just wanted to be respected and treated equally, in a MD dominated world. He said that it didn't matter whether I went MD or DO, because in the eyes of another physician I will never be as good as he or she. He said all doc's think that they are the best, so whether MD or DO, I won't be as good. As far as respect, he said performing well on the job and earning the respect of patients will lead to the respect of other physicians.

actually the person I shadowed was like you: they got accepted to DO and MD schools and chose DO schools, so there are many people that like the philosophy, BUT the other person I shadowed told me there is little bias, and people can't deny that....

and the bias comes from: I think since DO schools require lower MCAT scores and GPA's that it becomes the back up plan or second choice for premed applicants, and this applies to only SOME of the PEOPLE

BUT I do agree with you with: "As far as respect, he said performing well on the job and earning the respect of patients will lead to the respect of other physicians."

in the end, that's all that matters...

I think people are discouraging you from the BA/DO route because we have all known sooo many people who started college as pre-med but have since found another field of science (PhD, PA, pharm, etc.) or psychology/social work was really more to their liking. There just isn't enough career information in high school to give you a good idea about what you want to do, partially because I think real world experience with an adult brain is necessary to figure out your lifestyle preferences. So I know you said that you can drop out of the program, and I would encourage you to seriously consider other careers even if you do one of the BS/DO programs.
Becoming a physician is one of the toughest (emotionally/physically draining), careers out there and many physicians will tell you its not worth it. If you want an honest idea about what you have to look forward to in 6-8 years read The Intern Blues.
And if you've read enough of SDN then you should know that in terms of residency the school you go to matters less than your grades and how well you do on the board exams.

food for thought as I used to work at a school that offered a BS/MD program. The program isn't binding to the MD tract. If you decided you didn't want to go into medicine, there is no contract saying you had to go. It just guaranteed you a slot for the next to impossible medical school to get into. That being said, as I used to talk to these kids all the time, you have no idea what you're getting into as a high schooler, or I'd even say as a college graduate.

okay so what if I want to be a doctor and do pre-med since I was in middle school? There's probably a million people like that who go to these forums and ask questions, this is where curious people can learn more, that's the point...

I have written a lot of question and posted a lot of stuff partly due to its my spring break and I have a lot of time to do nothing...I am quite calm and do need to focus more on undergrad...

and there clearly is bias with MD's and DO's but I'm not sure how much there still exists, but I have shadowed multiple DO's and both said there is bias today....

Jesus. First off, great!! A ton of people (myself included) have wanted to go into medicine for as long as they can remember ... yet few of them are running around making multiple threads hourly. The point is to ask questions, but the point is also that you accept the answers. People have answered your questions a billion times over and yet you still keep reassuring yourself and bashing you people who say you need to chill out (which, by the way, is the advice you seek).

Second, no you are not calm. Saying 'I am quite calm' does not negate the three threads you have started on the boards asking the same questions. You need to believe older people who have gone through this experience when they tell you that you are young, thinking way too far ahead, and will grow up/understand all this better in a few years.

Third, throwing around the 'I've shadowed multiple DOs' thing is freaking hilarious. Most of the people in this thread have either done extensive shadowing, worked countless hours in the health care field, completed extensive research, or have had successful careers in the field and are now looking for a change. So throwing around crap like that only demonstrates how young you really are.

Also, you proclaiming that there is a bias and that the multiple (laugh) DOs you have shadowed all told you this is complete bull. You know nothing. You are what ... 17, 18???? Let the people who really have experience with this (not myself might I add) make these statements. The residents and attendings who work with MDs everyday, the med students who rotate with MD med students, etc. Not some kid who hasn't even put the "fight club" poster up in their dorm, or added 'partaying' as their major on facebook. Now, if you wanted to say ... 'the TWO DOs I shadowed said that they feel a certain bias ... what do people with actual experience think about this issue ...' then that is fine.

Trust me when I tell you this ... 1. quit making threads. Either take peoples advice and answers to your questions or quit asking them in different forms and different places. 2. Don't assume you know anything (that's what pre meds are for -hehehehe- and you aren't even there yet). 3. Don't get offended by my post or try to be witty in any form of comeback. 4. Just worry about starting freshman year of college, not match lists, DO bias, lower admission standards for osteopathic students or any other trivial bull.

"3. Don't get offended by my post or try to be witty in any form of comeback."

sorry but I have to saw a few things:

oh godly college premeds, please let me gain some more wisdom from your learning and experience

your advice is so heavenly for I am only an ignorant little boy that has no knowledge about the field whatsoever

OKAY I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF WITH THAT COME BACK LOL, but YOU ARE SERIOUSLY LIKE THE 15TH PERSON WHO SAID THAT SO I AM KIND OF GETTING ANNOYED.

yes I am only 18, and you are right in many of your statements and I am calm lol and even laughing at what some people have been writing...

I should care more about freshman year more but I guess it's spring break, I'm bored, and I have no life so I keep making threads, which I will STOP IN like 5 DAYS...

I got my first choice, so the rate is 100% in my house.

29/72 were allopathic

see attached...

Attachments

• OSUCOM2008MATCH.doc
    93 KB · Views: 408
lol corpus, good to know you got your first choice, Congratz!!

I hear in the end, it doesn't matter about which school you go to, just how you do on your boards whether they are USMLE or COMLEX, and if you do well, you will get at least your top 5 choices??

well I am happy for you since my cousin also got his first choice in Chicago...

wuts the difference between family practice and internal medicine? sorry I am still in college...or about to be lol

wuts the difference between family practice and internal medicine? sorry I am still in college...or about to be lol

Family practice is primarily clinic-based, and internal medicine is primarily hospital-based.

Family practice provides more experience in pediatrics and OB/GYN, with the ability to treat all ages and genders.

Internal medicine focuses on adults and non-OB/GYN issues in female patients.

Family medicine is limited with fellowship training & subspecialization.

Internal medicine is a pre-requisite for a majority of the fellowships & subspecialities (cardiology, gastroenterology, etc.)

Internal Medicine comes with the look that you'd rather stick a hot poker in your eye than be doing internal medicine. At least where I work.

Internal Medicine comes with the look that you'd rather stick a hot poker in your eye than be doing internal medicine. At least where I work.

It's much different in private practice. It also really depends on if you choose to be a hospitalist vs. running a clinic.

Hey guys I know this thread is pretty close to dead but I put together this DO residency stats spreadsheet in excel a few weeks ago, so check it out...

To any excel n00bs there are multiple tabs on the bottom of the page, and the percentages of each specialty are highlighted in gray...

Attachments

• DO School Residency Stats.xls
    164 KB · Views: 741
Hey guys I know this thread is pretty close to dead but I put together this DO residency stats spreadsheet in excel a few weeks ago, so check it out...

To any excel n00bs there are multiple tabs on the bottom of the page, and the percentages of each specialty are highlighted in gray...

pretty much dead? last post was in march :laugh:. Either way, thanks for the post, great resource! you should put the link in your signature b/c this thread will certainly get lost and people will certainly start asking the question again sooner or later.

Unofficial SDN rule: No one is allowed to bump a thread started by FuturePharm21.

Hi all,
Would anyone have any advise - I am trying to decide between UNECOM and NYCOM. Any thoughts?

Katrina,
I would let this thread die and stay dead. If you have any questions about UNECOM and NYCOM I would go to their respective 2013 threads and see if there are any people there that can give you advice. I am sure that you will find what you are looking for.
I do not know why in your search results you decided to post here, but let us please not get this debate going again.

Good luck.

I agree with BCLumas, all the opinions expressed in this thread are typical of any "Which one" thread. It all comes down to what YOU want. Weather? Family? Location? Big or small city? etc.

Although I will say the links provided in this to the AOA Match Rates and the Residency spreadsheets were interesting and are some of the better stats I've seen IF you do decide to try and compare schools.

Dammit people!! Can we make a sticky regarding the bumpage of FuturePharm's threads??? :smuggrin: