Osteopathic medicine (DO) for Canadians 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mashmetoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The AACOM application service for 2014 matriculation opened today. Application info can now be inputted and uploaded to the system in preparation for the June 1st start date for submissions. Instructions are posted at https://aacomas.aacom.org/

Members don't see this ad.

THINKING OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE?
The Canadian Osteopathic Medical Student Association (COMSA) and Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSU-COM) are proud to present this unique opportunity to learn about osteopathic medicine from the perspective of current Canadian DO students. Information will be provided on what makes osteopathic medicine unique, what schools look for in an application, how to shadow DOs in Canada, academic requirements, and returning to Canada to practice as a licensed physician. Presented by current Canadian DO candidates and the Director of Admissions for Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSU-COM) on Weds, May 29, 5:30-7:00 p.m., Tatham Centre, University of Waterloo. Please visit www.studentdo.ca for more information.

Hello guys, I am applying to DO schools this cycle. However, I am hoping to get some shadowing experience with DO this summer, do any of you of some DOs here in GTA? Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)

THINKING OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE?
The Canadian Osteopathic Medical Student Association (COMSA) and Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSU-COM) are proud to present this unique opportunity to learn about osteopathic medicine from the perspective of current Canadian DO students. Information will be provided on what makes osteopathic medicine unique, what schools look for in an application, how to shadow DOs in Canada, academic requirements, and returning to Canada to practice as a licensed physician. Presented by current Canadian DO candidates and the Director of Admissions for Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSU-COM) on Weds, May 29, 5:30-7:00 p.m., Tatham Centre, University of Waterloo. Please visit www.studentdo.ca for more information.

Reminder - this event is happening this Wednesday (Tomorrow!!) All are welcome - the presenters have been told to let everyone in! Not just UofWaterloo students.

Hey everyone, we will be having another presentation this fall. It will be held at the University of Toronto, on Friday October 18. Everyone is welcome to attend!

Also, if you're a U of T student please sign up for the event through the career centre http://www.careers.utoronto.ca/ so we can track expected numbers. Non UT students are welcome as well though!

Honestly, why are you promoting the DO path to Canadians? You guys can't even come up with a list of residency matches for Canadian DO's (US or Canadian)/MD residency programs that sponsor DO's a visa. Do you tell them that there are no DO residency programs that sponsor Canadian DO's a visa? Or do you educate them on the current standing between the ACGME/AOA? How it is possible DO's will be pushed out of ACGME residencies given that the AOA is being ridiculous or because MD class sizes are expanding and GME funding is not increasing (going to decrease if anything)? Seriously save your fellow Canadians a headache and tell them to keep retaking the MCAT or improve their application until they get into a Canadian MD school. As a US citizen, the DO path is definitely a viable option. But as a Canadian, at this point in time? C'mon...

Sincerely,

A pissed off Canadian.

Last edited:
Honestly, why are you promoting the DO path to Canadians? You guys can't even come up with a list of residency matches for Canadian DO's (US or Canadian)/MD residency programs that sponsor DO's a visa. Do you tell them that there are no DO residency programs that sponsor Canadian DO's a visa? Or do you educate them on the current standing between the ACGME/AOA? How it is possible DO's will be pushed out of ACGME residencies given that the AOA is being ridiculous or because MD class sizes are expanding and GME funding is not increasing (going to decrease if anything)? Seriously save your fellow Canadians a headache and tell them to keep retaking the MCAT or improve their application until they get into a Canadian MD school. As a US citizen, the DO path is definitely a viable option. But as a Canadian, at this point in time? C'mon...

Sincerely,

A pissed off Canadian.

By all means, keep retaking your MCAT until it's 35+. Please don't apply to any DO schools, keep trying for Canadian schools. Save that spot for Canadians who actually want to go. No Canadian will ever get into a MD residency now as you've so eloquently demonstrated. This whole DO thing is a scam, and not an option for decent Canadians everywhere such as yourself. MSU is a fraud, and should stop taking in Canadians.

You can also fill out this form of complaint while you are at it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for addressing my concerns!!! That really makes the DO route look much more promising for Canadians!!!

Thanks for addressing my concerns!!! That really makes the DO route look much more promising for Canadians!!!

Come on now, you said it all in your previous post. It's not like you were going to go to a DO school anyway. Even if you did squeak in, you'd be miserable there. So really, what is the point? And if you didn't get into your top choice residency program, you sound like the the type to be blaming how crappy a profession the DO is for "failing" your career aspirations, instead of looking at yourself. I suppose it's a good thing to recognize that NOW, than waiting 2-3 years down the road. I've seen people like you quit DO school in their 3rd year to go back to undergrad to retry for Canadian MD schools because they blame the AOA, or the DO title from reasons A to Z for whatever perceived flaws.

Keep trying for Canadian schools, or any of the IMG options. It's better for everyone.

Last edited:
I love how you make all of these generalizations about me because I am educated on the difficulties Canadians will face that go the DO route. These are legitimate concerns and should not be ignored. For the sake of other Canadian applicants who "want" to go DO, please address my concerns (if you can). Way too many people don't understand or are aware of the issues I brought up, and as a COMSA representative you should make it a priority. Anyways, I'm done here.

Hey everyone, we will be having another presentation this fall. It will be held at the University of Toronto, on Friday October 18. Everyone is welcome to attend!

Also, if you're a U of T student please sign up for the event through the career centre http://www.careers.utoronto.ca/ so we can track expected numbers. Non UT students are welcome as well though!

FINAL reminder guys! This seminar THIS FRIDAY. Hope to see you all there!!

Bonjour! We will be having our next seminar at McGill University on Nov 15. You don't have to be a McGill student to attend, all are welcome! One of the presenters is a McGill Alumni.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 questions:

1) What did you guys do for your letters? Really hard to get a shadowing position in Canada, but is that the only way? Any tips on getting shadowing positions?

2) Which schools (Canadian friendly of course) allow you to defer your admission?

If anyone has an answer to either question, please answer! Thanks

Feel free to PM me if you'd like a more personal answer.

1) You don't necessarily need to shadow to get a Physician letter, there have been people who simply ask their GP, or explain the situation to a physician they know. Additionally, MD letters are fine, especially since there are few DO's in Canada. Many people in the current cycle have gotten admitted with MD letters, and some who have simply gotten a letter from a physician without any shadowing persae.
2) Deffering admission, is generally only allowed in very specific and extreme situations. If you aren't willing to attend in a given cycle, it would be in your interest to wait to apply. That said, ask the individual schools you are interested in on their opinion.

I guess I'll keep questions here for now in case other people are wondering the same thing!

1) Yea I thought asking your GP would be an option, would this have a decent success rate though?

2) I just read MSU allows you to defer, but haven't seen anything from other schools so yea I guess you're right generally.

Is there a specific reason why you would want to apply, only to defer a potential acceptance? I can't see why one wouldn't just apply the following cycle. From a schools perspective, they have seats to fill, and unless there's a death in the family, or financial troubles post-acceptance, I wouldn't see many giving a defer.

In this case, it seems that you already know in advance you would want to defer, so it leads back to the first question :)

Cheers

I guess I'll keep questions here for now in case other people are wondering the same thing!

1) Yea I thought asking your GP would be an option, would this have a decent success rate though?

2) I just read MSU allows you to defer, but haven't seen anything from other schools so yea I guess you're right generally.

1) It depends on your GP and family relationship. Personally, my GP was fine with it and more than willing since we have been with him for 25 years.

Is there a specific reason why you would want to apply, only to defer a potential acceptance? I can't see why one wouldn't just apply the following cycle. From a schools perspective, they have seats to fill, and unless there's a death in the family, or financial troubles post-acceptance, I wouldn't see many giving a defer.

In this case, it seems that you already know in advance you would want to defer, so it leads back to the first question :)

Cheers
Well to be honest I actually have a decent chance for Canadian schools that go by your best recent 2 years, so I feel I should exhaust Canada as an option before going to USA. However, waiting till next cycle runs the risk of rejection from DO as well, so I could be 24-25 with no acceptance yet...

It would be wise to just focus on your Canadian options first. Then apply abroad after, applying to US schools with the intent of deffering, won't go well - besides if you are competitive one year, you will be just as competitive the year after.

How about doing just MSU? Since they state you "always have the option of deferring."

Can you provide a link where that is stated? I am not to familiar with that. Given the large amount of Canadians apply for MSU's limited number of Canadian spots, I don't imagine that would be the case(anymore). I do recall reading that a few cycles ago, that was the case. However their admissions process has changed over the last two years, and they have received a significant amount more applicants - so unless otherwise stated, I do not think that is the case for optional deferring.

Logically it doesn't make sense, since their are many qualified applicants to fill their seats. Allowing a applicant to defer, simply so they can apply elsewhere doesn't seem likely.
How about doing just MSU? Since they state you "always have the option of deferring."

Really hoping someone can help me here. I did my undergrad at York University which uses a system of 3 credits for a 1 semester course (half year) and 6 credits for a 2 semester course (Full year). Those of you applying to AACOMAS know that they transfer these to 3 and 6 semester hours respectfully and 4 and 8 hours respectfully if they have a lab component.

I did everything as I was supposed to on the application, inputted values as seen on my transcript and included "with lab" in the course names for those that had lab components.

Upon AACOMAS verification, they refused to transfer any course to 4 or 8 semester hours. Oddly enough even a signed and notarized letter from the university stating that these courses did indeed have lab components wouldn't be suffice for them to change their values. What do I do?

Really hoping someone can help me here. I did my undergrad at York University which uses a system of 3 credits for a 1 semester course (half year) and 6 credits for a 2 semester course (Full year). Those of you applying to AACOMAS know that they transfer these to 3 and 6 semester hours respectfully and 4 and 8 hours respectfully if they have a lab component.

I did everything as I was supposed to on the application, inputted values as seen on my transcript and included "with lab" in the course names for those that had lab components.

Upon AACOMAS verification, they refused to transfer any course to 4 or 8 semester hours. Oddly enough even a signed and notarized letter from the university stating that these courses did indeed have lab components wouldn't be suffice for them to change their values. What do I do?

Question has been answered.

Sincerely,

A pissed off Canadian.

Your info may be a bit dated. All Canadians graduates of medical schools have the same rights:

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...athic-medicine/Pages/us-visa-information.aspx

Sincerely,

A pissed off Canadian.

Your info may be a bit dated. All Canadians graduates of medical schools have the same rights:

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...athic-medicine/Pages/us-visa-information.aspx

Disclaimer: I decided to attend Nova, unless i hear anything from Canadian schools or the USMD schools that i interviewed at.

The thing about visas', i don't know, it looks all good on paper, but in practice it might not be the case. Nova has told me that I should be aware that smaller hospitals and programs have difficulty sponsoring(cost and paperwork). The H1B visa is also limited, but they said that the east coast is better for this.

Some west coast programs don't take DO's or make the minimum step1 cut-off so much higher(like 250+ for family med...) that its stupid.

From what has happened with the merger, the AOA is viewed as a horribly useless organization by most DO students.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I decided to attend Nova, unless i hear anything from Canadian schools. Overall I am happy with my choice to go DO, since I don't think I want to go into an ultra competitive specialty anyways.

The thing about visas', i don't know, it looks all good on paper, but in practice it might not be the case. Nova has told me that I should be aware that smaller hospitals and programs have difficulty sponsoring(cost and paperwork). The H1B visa is also limited, but they said that the east coast is better for this.

Some west coast programs don't take DO's or make the minimum step1 cut-off so much higher(like 250+ for family med...) that its stupid.

From what has happened with the merger, the AOA is viewed as a horribly useless organization by most DO students.

Just be happy you have the chance to be a doctor, everything else is small details

I have a very similar outlook. Just apply broadly and realistically for residency and you are sure to match. If you have your heart set on ACGME neurosurgery, don't pursue DO as a Canadian. But keep in mind that the climate is constantly fluxuating and a fleet of DOs graduate every year, more and more of them being Canadian and if/when they make a good impression, the tides could change in our favor. More DOs = more MD residencies being filled by DOs = More DO attendings = possibly more DO PDs.

What is the current success rate for Canadian DOs matching to DO residencies?

What is the current success rate for Canadian DOs matching to DO residencies?
The short answer is that DO (AOA) Residencies are NOT recognized in Canada, thus Canadians who go the DO option, must secure a position in an ACGME(MD) residency in the US or Canada.

However, if you have no plans of ever coming back to Canada, then you can potentially go to an AOA program. Statistics are non existent except anecdotal, i'm sure there have been a handful of Canadian DO's who went AOA, but I would defer that to Mashmetoo.

I see, so is there any data on Canadian DOs and their matching results for MD residencies? It's crucial information, because for me it's not just the time investment but also my dad cosigning a large loan from the bank (even though he would provide financial support, the majority of the tuition itself will be left to a bank loan).

Since I can't predict my future performance, what are the average Canadian DO's residency options like? And their success rate? I realize competitive residencies are out of the question, but are you going to actually get an average residency or are you going to end up in a malignant residency? I guess a lot of this comes down to how many programs you apply to, so one should certainly get a spot if you apply to a very large number of programs?

I see, so is there any data on Canadian DOs and their matching results for MD residencies? It's crucial information, because for me it's not just the time investment but also my dad cosigning a large loan from the bank (even though he would provide financial support, the majority of the tuition itself will be left to a bank loan).

Since I can't predict my future performance, what are the average Canadian DO's residency options like? And their success rate? I realize competitive residencies are out of the question, but are you going to actually get an average residency or are you going to end up in a malignant residency? I guess a lot of this comes down to how many programs you apply to, so one should certainly get a spot if you apply to a very large number of programs?

Obviously, if you can get into a Canadian school go that route. It is by far the wiser investment. Personally, if I do not get into Canada this year I am going to an osteopathic school. I have done as much research as possible, and while no match statistics exist for Cdn DO students, it is clear just from the rules governing residencies in Canada and the US that DO is a much better option than IMG (which I also researched extensively and ruled out a long time ago and for which there are also only very iffy statistics). If you are a Canadian training at a non-Canadian school finding a residency will not be easy no matter where you are located. You are going to have to arrange electives at future potential residency spots, make sure you can get a J1 or H1B visa from the residency, write all the necessary exams and do at least average I would think (COMLEX, USMLE, MCCEE), and make a good impression on your instructors during rotations. Even then you might have to move somewhere you do not want to go and take the residency that is offered to you.

Synopsis: DO for Canadians is better than IMG, but it is no cakewalk. Be aware of potential problems you might run into and start planning in your first year of medical school for residency applications. Nobody has promised residency spots galore or something equivalent to going to a Canadian school. It is just a better option than being an IMG (which is seriously a very risk option given the number of Canadian students studying abroad). So think very carefully about what you do. Maybe you can improve your app enough to get into a Canadian school, but keep in mind trying to predict an acceptance to a Canadian school is impossible even for people with excellent stats in some cases.

Hello everyone, I am proud to announce our next seminar at UBC and SFU! You do not need to be a SFU or UBC student to attend the seminar and everyone is welcome. We hope to see you there!

Regarding Visas as a DO. I'm right in the middle of that process now, and I'm rather pleased with the results. Of course, I didn't receive as many invites as my US AMG colleagues, BUT, I am definitely beating out all the IMGs who are foreign citizens. I would say I am receiving twice as many interview invites as a foreign IMG applying to the same spots (who have higher board scores than me), and I only applied to half to 1/3 of the number of spots IMGs applied to. So I'm doing pretty well. I ended up going to more interviews than US AMGs simply because they can afford to cancel on interview invites. But I accepted all my invitations, so even though I received less invitations, I will end up going to more interviews than the AMGs.

I'll write another giant thread over at premed101 after this process is over, and I match.

Specifically, I'm doing all FM. I could have applied to psych, or IM, but I decided on FM solely.
I got 15 interviews, at really famous programs as well. 14 agreed to H1B sponsorship (these are dually AOA - ACGME accredited programs, or only ACGME accredited, (I didn't do the AOA match) I'm applying to the ACGME side), and only one J1 site (which I'll rank low for obvious reasons).

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting, so the situation isn't too bad.
Mashmetoo, how were your board scores? average? above average?

I don't mind FM... in Canada given our physician job market, FM is most desirable unless you don't mind unemployment or working as a floating doc/surgeon. :) In the US, I believe the current model will decrease specialty income and increase FM income, so not too bad.

Sincerely,

A pissed off Canadian.

We need to be nice on this forum as we are all trying to help each other out. I'm disgusted with this catty business above.

I will do my best to answer all of your concerns here. I will answer each of your questions with a fair and equal assessment. I do not see why we should not promote osteopathic medicine in Canada. For students who are interested in medicine the more information they have and the more possibilities of becoming a physician would be welcome I would assume. DOs can practice in Canada so why not apply?

There is a list of residencies that offer visas to international students be it DO or MD. However this changes every year as you stated that the cost of GME has gone up and the cost to pay for visas for graduate are part of that expense. To emphasize a point. In order to return to Canada you need to graduate from an ACGME accredited residency. AOA residencies are no longer accepted besides few exceptions in BC. Therefore don't place your money on getting a AOA residency and believe that you can return to Canada. That is one of the goals of COMSA to have graduates return to COMSA. This is why I state here that you NEED ACGME residency to return. I know nothing about AOA residencies.

I would indulge reading on how DOs are being pushed out of ACGME residencies when as far as I know there has been a steady number of DOs have been accepted for the past 5-10 years. Plus AOA has never had enough residencies for their graduates and still ACGME accepts DOs.

You are correct. Medical school classes are increasing. Current legislation in the US is trying to increase medical school size in order to compensate for the lack of physicians and the aging baby boomer population. I know that GME funding has not been increasing for positions. I would like to point some attention that this is partially due to the programs themselves in that some programs put more money into one sub-specialized program (in order to be top notch John's Hopkins) instead of 10 FM or IM. They are given the money. How they spend it varies from program to program.

Canadians have the opportunity here to go to the United States become trained as a DO and return to a Canadian residency as a CMG (Canadian Medical Graduate) in three provinces. This cannot be understated.

I will entertain any other questions or further discussion on this at your leisure. Or if you wish PM me and I will get back to you.

^ where can one find this list of residencies that offer visas to international students?

in regards to returning as CMG, only 3? I there were more (? like 4 or 5) Which three provinces?

^ where can one find this list of residencies that offer visas to international students?

in regards to returning as CMG, only 3? I there were more (? like 4 or 5) Which three provinces?

They can apply to just about all provinces for residency but only 3 as a CMG. Note: this is 3 more than IMGs can. From what I recall the provinces are BC, Ontario and Quebec.

^ correct. Except DOs cannot apply to Saskatchewan or the maritime provinces at this time. all others. Yes. Some restrictions apply such as Alberta have to be an Alberta resident. Aka home to highshool there.

The list of residencies that offers visas is hard to come by because they change every year. I have a list from last year that I am going to format and put on studentdo.ca. if I get a chance I will update. Rotations now so this may take me some time.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking forward to that list!

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

Can Ontarians tell me how much OSAP is giving for DO schools? I read that it's 15k / year on COMSA, but I couldn't verify the info. My friend told me that it's now down to $210 / week..

The short answer is that DO (AOA) Residencies are NOT recognized in Canada, thus Canadians who go the DO option, must secure a position in an ACGME(MD) residency in the US or Canada.

Regarding Visas as a DO.

Although I quoted the above comments, my question is rather unrelated. I've recently found out that KCUMB allows one international rotation and Canada isn't part of it. I like the school otherwise, but would this hinder me from matching in Canada? I actually don't mind living in the US, but I prefer Canada if I can come back. I read somewhere that some COMSA members did a few rotations in Canada. Is the # of international rotations in Canada important enough to be a deciding factor? How is Western COMP with Canadian rotations btw, Mashmetoo? I was invited for interview, but I was comfortable with KCUMB otherwise... Thanks so much and happy holidays!

That's a pretty bad deal, even for FM you should at least rotate at the place you want. For anything else, you wouldn't have a chance to match in Canada without LORS and Canadian rotations. Just stay in the US for residency(my plan) and go back to Canada after a while. 7-10 years is a commitment, but that is medicine.

Although I quoted the above comments, my question is rather unrelated. I've recently found out that KCUMB allows one international rotation and Canada isn't part of it. I like the school otherwise, but would this hinder me from matching in Canada? I actually don't mind living in the US, but I prefer Canada if I can come back. I read somewhere that some COMSA members did a few rotations in Canada. Is the # of international rotations in Canada important enough to be a deciding factor? How is Western COMP with Canadian rotations btw, Mashmetoo? I was invited for interview, but I was comfortable with KCUMB otherwise... Thanks so much and happy holidays!

Generally speaking
, Canadian PDs want applicants to have Canadian clinical experience and LORs from physicians in Canada.

If you want to match in Canada, it is important to be able to set-up a fair amount of 4th year elective rotations in Canada.

But then again, no one really knows what criteria is important for DOs to match in Canada. I've been searching endlessly and have yet to find any reliable source as to what is important for the CaRMS match as a DO.

Regarding Visas as a DO. I'm right in the middle of that process now, and I'm rather pleased with the results. Of course, I didn't receive as many invites as my US AMG colleagues, BUT, I am definitely beating out all the IMGs who are foreign citizens. I would say I am receiving twice as many interview invites as a foreign IMG applying to the same spots (who have higher board scores than me), and I only applied to half to 1/3 of the number of spots IMGs applied to. So I'm doing pretty well. I ended up going to more interviews than US AMGs simply because they can afford to cancel on interview invites. But I accepted all my invitations, so even though I received less invitations, I will end up going to more interviews than the AMGs.

I'll write another giant thread over at premed101 after this process is over, and I match.

Specifically, I'm doing all FM. I could have applied to psych, or IM, but I decided on FM solely.
I got 15 interviews, at really famous programs as well. 14 agreed to H1B sponsorship (these are dually AOA - ACGME accredited programs, or only ACGME accredited, (I didn't do the AOA match) I'm applying to the ACGME side), and only one J1 site (which I'll rank low for obvious reasons).

Can someone fill me in on this? The H1B visa concern when getting a residency in USA should apply to both US MD graduates and DO graduates right? If so, the problem for not getting H1B visas should not only be targeted to DO graduates but all Canadians wanting to do residency in US? Do Canadian graduates from US MD schools get special right that guarantee them to H1B visas for residency?

Thank you!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you are correct in that both Canadian DO's and MD's face the same issue with visas. The only difference is that there are more ACGME residency programs that sponsor H1B visas. AOA residencies in some instances do provide H1B visas, however, the vast majority don't due to the added paperwork involved with it. It makes sense i guess, because the AOA hasn't had to deal with that many Canadians for them to feel that they need to change their current modality. However, there have always been many Canadian MD graduates from American MD schools. I think this will change soon with the surge of Canadians entering DO programs in recent years. Also, take my next point for what it's worth, but stigma may also be something to take into consideration. Not only is there more ACGME residencies that sponsor H1B visas, but I'm sure many would argue that Canadian MD's would have preference over Canadian DO's (just speculation don't know if it's true....I myself will be a first year Canadian DO student also!).

So yes, while the dilemma is the same for all Canadians....might be a little easier for MD's than DO's.....that's not to say we can't bug the AOA to change that!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you are correct in that both Canadian DO's and MD's face the same issue with visas. The only difference is that there are more ACGME residency programs that sponsor H1B visas. AOA residencies in some instances do provide H1B visas, however, the vast majority don't due to the added paperwork involved with it. It makes sense i guess, because the AOA hasn't had to deal with that many Canadians for them to feel that they need to change their current modality. However, there have always been many Canadian MD graduates from American MD schools. I think this will change soon with the surge of Canadians entering DO programs in recent years. Also, take my next point for what it's worth, but stigma may also be something to take into consideration. Not only is there more ACGME residencies that sponsor H1B visas, but I'm sure many would argue that Canadian MD's would have preference over Canadian DO's (just speculation don't know if it's true....I myself will be a first year Canadian DO student also!).

So yes, while the dilemma is the same for all Canadians....might be a little easier for MD's than DO's.....that's not to say we can't bug the AOA to change that!

I agree with this. I want to also add that there are many Canadian USMD graduates that get into residency programs in Canada thus avoiding the visa issue entirely through CaRMS. You can find a handful of them for yourself on several Canadian residency programs' webpages. Although this route is also open to Canadian USDO graduates (1st iteration with CaRMS in several provinces), I have yet to find any of them on Canadian residency programs' webpages nor on any official statistic that indicates successful matches into Canadian residency programs (probably due to low numbers).

Last edited:
Jay, the AOA wouldn't care since most Canadians wouldn't go to an AOA residency- they are not recognized by Canada. The paperwork is the secondary issue, H1B visas cost alot of money. Most AOA programs are community programs that don't have the funding. You'll find H1Bs avail at more reputable and well endowed ACGME programs.

H1B visa availability depends on specialty, there aren't as many as you would think. J1 is the easiest, majority of programs will take care of that.

Can someone fill me in on this? The H1B visa concern when getting a residency in USA should apply to both US MD graduates and DO graduates right? If so, the problem for not getting H1B visas should not only be targeted to DO graduates but all Canadians wanting to do residency in US? Do Canadian graduates from US MD schools get special right that guarantee them to H1B visas for residency?

Thank you!

H1B visa issues apply to both US MDs and DOs. There are no special rights that would guarantee a US MD any kind of visa.