Osteopathic Medicine in Action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnUC33

A Stinkin Conservative
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I plan to see my doctor anyways, so I'm not asking for medical advice.

Okay, for the past 4 days I've had indigestion like never before. I know that D.O's are taught to take a whole patient history in a diagnosis. Moreover, I know that the day before my indigestion started I hurt my knee. I might be completely wrong about this, but could a hurt knee factor into finding out whats causing my indigestion?

Like I've said, I'm not asking for medical advice, but I just want to know if my idea about the knee leading to indigestion has any scientific basis or not. Oh, well, let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

JohnUC33 said:
Disclaimer: I plan to see my doctor anyways, so I'm not asking for medical advice.

Okay, for the past 4 days I've had indigestion like never before. I know that D.O's are taught to take a whole patient history in a diagnosis. Moreover, I know that the day before my indigestion started I hurt my knee. I might be completely wrong about this, but could a hurt knee factor into finding out whats causing my indigestion?

Like I've said, I'm not asking for medical advice, but I just want to know if my idea about the knee leading to indigestion has any scientific basis or not. Oh, well, let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Yes it can! According to some of my clinical profs anyways. Has to do w/ fascia. Other than that I dont understand it very well. We were actually presented this case yesterday, but I dont remember the details.

Most likely from NSAID use (Motrin, Alleve, etc...) after the injury.

I would be highly skeptical of any proposed mechanisms relating to injury of fascia/connective tissue of the knee in relation to changes in physiology in the stomach.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a great article about this in an osteopathic journal... there was conclusive evidence that knee pain can manifest as epigastric. The journal didn't say much about the n=2 and confounding factors such as NSAID use, or the fact that everyone in the study was also on some sort of grapefruit diet.

Sort of like the Still-Hildreth Psychiatric Hospital anecdotes lovingly recounted to our class... recovery MUST have been due to the osteopathic manipulations.

*COULD* your knee and your gut be related... uhhhh, SURE!!

This is something of a running joke amongst our (and I must presume, other) class. The research bites. And then you go to lab and someone does some small tweak that has you in pain... and you think... surely if they can HURT me, they should also be able to help me?? (again, an "n" of 1)

Best of luck.

in my expert opinion as an MSI (sarcasm...) ....reactive arthritis/reiters syndrome? go see your doctor....

Thanks for the replies guys. I mentioned this to some people at work, and they laughed me to scorn. Now, I know that it is possible. The key now is to find a Gastro DO that my insurance covers (very picky company).

McDoctor said:
McDoctor
0+ Posts

McDoctor: Your friendly future Doc-in-the-box! :laugh:

No offense!

Taus said:
in my expert opinion as an MSI (sarcasm...) ....reactive arthritis/reiters syndrome? go see your doctor....

Come on Taus we just had that painful rheumatology block. Reiters symdrome would be 2 weeks post infection. Not injured knee, then GI symptoms. Maybe this guy could have infectious arthritis caused by a gonnococal infection. ANy leakage?

Another possibility would be vasulitis leading to ischemic bowel.

I'm just kidding, DO NOT use SDN for medical advise.

sorry, just busting your balls Taus.