Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Osteopathic Medicine on the Sopranos!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Ologist, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Ologist

Ologist Member

Was watching the new episode of the Sopranos last night and i was really surprised when the main character Tony Soprano mentioned an "osteopath".

His character was having gambling problems and mentioned to his wife that he knew a friend who knew "an osteopath in san diego" that said such and such football player had a hairline fracture that not even ESPN knew about.

I remember they had a push to have DO's mentioned more in the media, guess it worked somehow!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Taus

Taus .

Attending Physician
  4. HarveyCushing

5. tripleJ

tripleJ Member

It was also menitoned in the 2nd? season; when jackie jr. was talking with tony, he said his grades weren't good enough for medical school- "I even looked into an osteopath school, I don't think they are even good enough for that", something along those lines

6. effwun

Pre-Medical
    On 'the Daily Show with Jon Stewart' a week or two ago Dr. Andrew Weil (MD from Harvard) mentioned some of the techniques he uses he learned from DOs.

7. bkpa2med

Attending Physician
    Just have to say that sopranos is awesome! lol I would of never knew that Doc Santoro was a doctor and in fact a D.O.!

8. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Isn't that a diss on DO schools?

9. SexPistol

Medical Student

Ha Ha...I heard he used to whack people using muscle energy techniques...very bad @ss

10. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    For the last 5 years I have been really upset. But now that I know the Sopranos mentioned osteopathy...well...that just validates my whole damn life.

11. BayRunner

BayRunner Junior Member

Hopefully Doc Santoro wasn't a DO, he got capped in the eye in front of a bunch of hookers. Did I mention that I offered Meadow some OMM last time we met?

12. G.O.A.T.

G.O.A.T. New Member

Medical Student
    is this something to be proud of? this only further perpetuates the misconception that osteopaths are bone docs......a misconception that i always hear osteopaths complaining about. i think the sopranos writers were just guilty of what 99% of the rest of the public is guilty of.........thinking osteopaths are bone docs.

13. DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    Depends on how you look at it - he said his grades weren't even good enough for osteopathy, implying that DO schools require a certain calber of student for acceptance.

I think any diss is more than made up for by the fact that the boss' kid actually considered osteopathy as a career.