Osteopathic Medicine on the Sopranos!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ologist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was watching the new episode of the Sopranos last night and i was really surprised when the main character Tony Soprano mentioned an "osteopath".

His character was having gambling problems and mentioned to his wife that he knew a friend who knew "an osteopath in san diego" that said such and such football player had a hairline fracture that not even ESPN knew about.

I remember they had a push to have DO's mentioned more in the media, guess it worked somehow!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was also menitoned in the 2nd? season; when jackie jr. was talking with tony, he said his grades weren't good enough for medical school- "I even looked into an osteopath school, I don't think they are even good enough for that", something along those lines

On 'the Daily Show with Jon Stewart' a week or two ago Dr. Andrew Weil (MD from Harvard) mentioned some of the techniques he uses he learned from DOs.

Just have to say that sopranos is awesome! lol I would of never knew that Doc Santoro was a doctor and in fact a D.O.!

It was also menitoned in the 2nd? season; when jackie jr. was talking with tony, he said his grades weren't good enough for medical school- "I even looked into an osteopath school, I don't think they are even good enough for that", something along those lines
Isn't that a diss on DO schools?

Just have to say that sopranos is awesome! lol I would of never knew that Doc Santoro was a doctor and in fact a D.O.!

Ha Ha...I heard he used to whack people using muscle energy techniques...very bad @ss

For the last 5 years I have been really upset. But now that I know the Sopranos mentioned osteopathy...well...that just validates my whole damn life.

Hopefully Doc Santoro wasn't a DO, he got capped in the eye in front of a bunch of hookers. Did I mention that I offered Meadow some OMM last time we met?

Was watching the new episode of the Sopranos last night and i was really surprised when the main character Tony Soprano mentioned an "osteopath".

His character was having gambling problems and mentioned to his wife that he knew a friend who knew "an osteopath in san diego" that said such and such football player had a hairline fracture that not even ESPN knew about.

I remember they had a push to have DO's mentioned more in the media, guess it worked somehow!

is this something to be proud of? this only further perpetuates the misconception that osteopaths are bone docs......a misconception that i always hear osteopaths complaining about. i think the sopranos writers were just guilty of what 99% of the rest of the public is guilty of.........thinking osteopaths are bone docs.

Isn't that a diss on DO schools?

Depends on how you look at it - he said his grades weren't even good enough for osteopathy, implying that DO schools require a certain calber of student for acceptance.

I think any diss is more than made up for by the fact that the boss' kid actually considered osteopathy as a career.