Osteopathic Medicine Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matteaton81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am considering applying for this Osteopathic Medicine Scholarship, and it is my understanding that it will cover a large part of what I will owe for tuition and fees. However, it says that for each year that I receive the scholarship (which would amount to four years at the maximum), I have to practice primary care in a rural area.

Does this necessarily preclude me from obtaining a more competitive residency? Or would the scholarship people still allow me to have the money as long as I agreed to still practice in a rural area for four years?

Members don't see this ad.

In what you wrote, it said you have to practice primary care. That seems pretty clear, no?

yeah, it sounds like you'd have to do primary care with that scholarship. look at how primary care is defined, too. normally, it's defined as internal medicine, family medicine or pediatrics. with some stuff, it includes ob/gyn, psychiatry and em. but, yeah, no radiology for you if you take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
exlawgrrl said:
yeah, it sounds like you'd have to do primary care with that scholarship. look at how primary care is defined, too. normally, it's defined as internal medicine, family medicine or pediatrics. with some stuff, it includes ob/gyn, psychiatry and em. but, yeah, no radiology for you if you take it.
Does it really include em? Where can I find out more about this?

allendo said:
Does it really include em? Where can I find out more about this?

I don't know about this scholarship at all, but I know some things add em into primary care. I think it's more on the rare end, though.

These information from their website:

Scholars attending medical school are expected to complete residency programs in one of the following specialties:

Family medicine
General pediatrics
General internal medicine
Obstetrics/gynecology
Psychiatry
Rotating internship (D.O.s only) with a request to complete one of the above specialties
http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/join_us/scholarships.asp
it is very good idea if you going to these specialties.

good luck

JO300 said:
These information from their website:

Scholars attending medical school are expected to complete residency programs in one of the following specialties:

Family medicine
General pediatrics
General internal medicine
Obstetrics/gynecology
Psychiatry
Rotating internship (D.O.s only) with a request to complete one of the above specialties
http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/join_us/scholarships.asp
it is very good idea if you going to these specialties.

good luck

Is the OP talking about the NHSC scholarship or a different one?

nerdgrrl said:
Is the OP talking about the NHSC scholarship or a different one?
I do not have any idea what is the OP.

the Original Poster OP

and no i believe it is a separate scholarship

kahoo99 said:
the Original Poster OP

and no i believe it is a separate scholarship
I think both are the same.

"this osteopathic medicine scholarship" doesn't really give a lot of clarity. i'd say we have no clue what specific scholarship the op is applying for.

exlawgrrl said:
"this osteopathic medicine scholarship" doesn't really give a lot of clarity. i'd say we have no clue what specific scholarship the op is applying for.

That's my thought. I'm thinking it's not NHSC, because that's osteopathic medicine, allopathic, dentistry, nurse midwifery, etc. "osteopathic medicine scholarship" seems awefully specific. then again, I'm tired.

It's an osteopathic medicine scholarship award to students who are willing to practice primary care in a rural area. However, I have been looking into it and it may not pay as much as I thought it did. If the amount is meager, I won't apply. I don't want to be precluded from a competitive residency anyway.

matteaton81 said:
It's an osteopathic medicine scholarship award to students who are willing to practice primary care in a rural area. However, I have been looking into it and it may not pay as much as I thought it did. If the amount is meager, I won't apply. I don't want to be precluded from a competitive residency anyway.

could you Post its' website.