osteopathic medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TX chickie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what exactly is it, and do they give an MD?

---------
not really from zimbabwe...

Members don't see this ad.

It would probably be better to post this in the osteopath forum. . .

They do NOT receive an M.D. but rather a D.O., which allows for basically all the same things as a M.D. degree does -- they are physicians -- but their schooling is slighly different in terms of overall theories, though the minutae is all the same.

They do not give you an MD; they dive you a DO. I don't entirely understand what is the difference between the two types of degrees. It has something to do with the DO philosophy being more humanizing. It is generally believed that DO schools are easier to get into because the average MCAT and GPA stats of accepted applicants is lower than those of MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduating from an osteopathic medical school gives you a DO degree not an MD degree. Currently there are 20 such schools and to apply you need to apply thru AACOMAS (an app service like AAMC).

DO's ARE physicans and go thru the same amount and type of schooling as MD's, but they also go thru 120 hours of additional courses in OMM (which is osteopathic manipulation). The reason they do that is because their philosophy is slightly different from the MD philosohpy. To read up on it I suggest going to <a href="http://www.aacom.org." target="_blank">www.aacom.org.</a> There you can learn more about osteopathic medicine.

I hope that helped.

I asked here rather than the other forum because on the Texas application, where you check the boxes to the schools you want to apply to and they have the breakdown of MD, MD/PhD, etc, they list UNT Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine as conferring an MD... anyone able to clarify?

Status
Not open for further replies.