OSTEOPATHIC NEUROLOGIST?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

together

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am interested in pursuing an osteopathic medical education. However, I do not know much about residency availability for neurology/psychiatry for DOs. I would appreciate any information.

Thank you!

Together

"It never meant as much as it does right now"

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th yr osteo student going into neuro. Unfortunately there are only 4-5 osteo programs (all in Mich and Ill) so I've decided to go the allopathic route. I've had no problems getting interviews with allopathic programs. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Actually there is one in Ohio also, but it really does not matter because Neurology and psychiatry are pretty easy to match(MD and DO). DO psych programs are only in MI and NJ, however, rumor has it we (PCSOM) may soon start a psych residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your posts neurogirl and pikesvillemedstudent! Do either of you know any statistics about how competitive allopathic residencies in psych/neuro are for DOs? Is the length of a psych/neuro residency for a DO any shorter or longer than that of an MD?

Thanks!

Together

"Before tying the knot, be certain that you have hold of the right end"

-Wittgenstein

Hi

I've got a question along the same lines. How can I get information about the ACGME neurology residencies that give credit for the AOA internship? Is it common/uncommon?
Thanks

I noticed the same problem as neurogirl with the availability of the AOA neurology programs. You will not have any problems getting interviews and matching in neurology and psychiatry. If you are an american graduate (even a DO school) you have an upper 90% match rate. Go to http://www.sfmatch.org/. This is the official neurology match organization and they have the up to date stats. DOs are considered in american graduates. I matched with my first choice in neuro and am extremely happy. As far as getting approval for the AOA year, that is dependant on the individual program AND takes an AOA program that is willing to work with the guidelines set forth by the American academy of neurology (need something like 6 months of floor medicine in the first year). Im not sure of any AMA programs off hand but you should contact the programs you are interested in and ask their preferences and contact the AAN to get their guidelines for the preliminary year. If anyone has any questions regarding neurology feel free to email me at [email protected]

Alan Diamond DO

For those of you doing the DO neurology route. Do you see yourselves doing OMM on your patients. If so, what techniques will you be doing and for what conditions?

Thanks in advance,

The Masonator

You should not have any problem securing an allopathic neuro position. Neurology has one of the highest DO and IMG rates among all allopathic programs (check JAMA last year on medical education). I would consider a dual aoa-acgme program that qualifies you to take the allopathic neurology boards. This is the best route and leaves you with the most options. Good luck.
J Kylan Lynch, DO
NINDS/NIH/NEB

Dr Lynch,

Where are there dually acc. neurology programs? You could do a aoa-acgme combined internship then do a allopathic residency but I am unfamiliar with dual neurology programs.

thanks
al

I must have given confusing information. There are not aoa-acgme dual approved neurology programs. This only applies to the pgy1 requirement for at least 9 months of internal medicine. There are dual approved pgy1 programs which will satisfy the requirements to sit for the allopathic neurology boards.
JKL