Osteopathic Obgyn Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2000 Man

No Limits
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the various AOA Obgyn residencies? which ones are better? Worse? Maligant? 3rd and 4th year rotation experiences, etc... Of particular interest are Genesys, Henry Ford and St Joseph Oakland but would like to hear about others as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you referring to the Henry Ford Macomb program or the Henry Ford Wyandotte program? Since I was never interested in ob I did not look much into how they compare/contrast but I can tell you that the ob rotation at Henry Ford Macomb was popular with my classmates and it appeared to be a pretty benign atmosphere in a decent hospital.
I don't know if you are from MI but as someone who grew up there I also think that the area around HF Macomb is one of the nicer areas to live in the Detroit region. Genesys and St. Joseph Oakland may be good programs (I don't know enough to judge them) but they are both in/near cities that struggle with a lot of crime and poverty (Pontiac and Flint - although Grand Blanc is not as bad as Flint, it borders Flint). The area near Macomb (Clinton Township/Utica/Shelby Township) is a relatively more affluent area that might be more pleasant to live in, especially if you have a family.

Does anyone have any info on the various AOA Obgyn residencies? which ones are better? Worse? Maligant? 3rd and 4th year rotation experiences, etc... Of particular interest are Genesys, Henry Ford and St Joseph Oakland but would like to hear about others as well.

I rotated through Genesys and loved the residents. They see a lot of ob pathology (several abruptions while I was there, lots of stat c/s) though all pre-term get sent to Flint (which you would rotate through for NICU I believe). It is a smaller program (only 2-4 per year) when compared to allo ob/gyn residencies, but I think it provides great experience. The call schedule (after intern year) seemed a bit rough to me, but comparable to many programs and lessens the more senior you become. I think the residency is pretty competitive - alot comes down to whether you "fit" with the current residents and staff. Lots of surgical cases including urogyn. The hospital itself is very nice - I found it to have the friendliest staff of the ~10 hospitals I have rotated at. Med Ed was also very well organized (a rarity :D). Hope that helps!