Osteopathic Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatsyourname

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pros and cons of each program, and which are board scores heavy and which aren't...

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is if you didn't get > 600 then don't apply. Any DO programs look at usmle?

My understanding is if you didn't get > 600 then don't apply. Any DO programs look at usmle?

but if u did a rotation at a school and have comlex < 600, u can still get an interview at some of those schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, there are about 10 kids (and those are the only ones that I know of) with 600+ on their comlex (and most of the them in the top 25% with good personalities) that want to do ortho...I'd love to hear about the individual programs as well. There were a few threads a few years back but they only went into a small handful of the programs.

Some of the bigger osteo programs in Michigan will take <600 if you rotate and they like working with you. This advice came from current residents who scored less than 550.

I honestly don't know if a 600 is going to be enough anymore. I think it's going to go up to 650 or 700 for the class of 2013. Way too many people want Ortho and are scoring >600. They have to find ways to select residents as many students will perform similarly on audition rotations. Look for things like grades and class rank to become more important in addition to the increase in COMLEX scores needed. A handful of people in my class came out of the woodwork and claim they now want ortho as well due to a good COMLEX performance. All are stand up citizens as well. Take home message.........This ortho thing is going to get cut throat in the near future.

I honestly don't know if a 600 is going to be enough anymore. I think it's going to go up to 650 or 700 for the class of 2013. Way too many people want Ortho and are scoring >600. They have to find ways to select residents as many students will perform similarly on audition rotations. Look for things like grades and class rank to become more important in addition to the increase in COMLEX scores needed. A handful of people in my class came out of the woodwork and claim they now want ortho as well due to a good COMLEX performance. All are stand up citizens as well. Take home message.........This ortho thing is going to get cut throat in the near future.

Statistically unlikely. 600 is like 90%. With around 4000 grads, about 400 or so people will have that score. Statistically speaking, more than half of them will go the MD route. I would say with 90 DO ortho spots there are probably 50-60 applicants with 600+. Top programs absolutely take 600+, some even 650+ (toledo comes to mind), but quite a few programs have residents with scores in low to mid 500s.

Statistically unlikely. 600 is like 90%. With around 4000 grads, about 400 or so people will have that score. Statistically speaking, more than half of them will go the MD route. I would say with 90 DO ortho spots there are probably 50-60 applicants with 600+. Top programs absolutely take 600+, some even 650+ (toledo comes to mind), but quite a few programs have residents with scores in low to mid 500s.

Thats a pretty good point...there are a fair share of people with high scores who also want neurosurgery, ophthalmology, urology, derm, radiology, etc. And tho those individually don't have a ton of spots, combined they take up a decent chunk of those top kids.

I have called many (10) programs personally or e-mailed and have not been told a > 600 score. Most say 500-550 are good enough to be considered. I have heard that Des Peres in St. Louis do not accept lower than 600 but that's the only one. The main theme with each residency coordinator was to do an audition rotation. This was echoed by the residents that I spoke with at programs. Some programs only interview rotators so this is key. Knowing that they will work with you intimately for 5 years, they want to know they can stand you as well as trust you. More so than how well you can answer a multiple choice answer. As far as I know there isn't a "top tier" program per se, but some will fit you better than others. Go out and rotate and do your best.

I have called many (10) programs personally or e-mailed and have not been told a > 600 score. Most say 500-550 are good enough to be considered. I have heard that Des Peres in St. Louis do not accept lower than 600 but that's the only one. The main theme with each residency coordinator was to do an audition rotation. This was echoed by the residents that I spoke with at programs. Some programs only interview rotators so this is key. Knowing that they will work with you intimately for 5 years, they want to know they can stand you as well as trust you. More so than how well you can answer a multiple choice answer. As far as I know there isn't a "top tier" program per se, but some will fit you better than others. Go out and rotate and do your best.

Programs with hard 600 cutoff: Des Peres, St. Vincent Mercy, Columbus, and Grandview (though columbus and grandview deny it)

Is it better overall to set up a bunch of 2-week rotations or set up a few 4-week rotations...I know there are pluses and minuses to both but is one way substantially better?

Is it better overall to set up a bunch of 2-week rotations or set up a few 4-week rotations...I know there are pluses and minuses to both but is one way substantially better?

At the AOAO conference this past weekend, every program director on the panel said they prefer 4 weeks for obvious reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
or just post here :thumbup:
Nothing you don't already know. Good Grades, Good COMLEX, Good Intangibles, but everyone will have those. So audition rotation trumps all. Like I said nothing you didn't already know.

Anyone know how much weight research carries when applying to orthopedic surgery programs?

i have some words about Osteopathic Ortho which i am using in my this post so please have a look on it...Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center in Toledo, Ohio, offers an AOA approved 5-year residency in Orthopedic Surgery, and provides broad exposure to orthopedic surgery cases. Residents receive training at a tertiary center, as well as at several community hospitals.

The aim of this program is to provide the physician with the basic information, skill and motivation necessary to become a general Osteopathic orthopedic surgeon. The program will meet the training requirements when applying for future certification in orthopedic surgery by the American Osteopathic Association upon the recommendation of the American Osteopathic Board of Orthopedic Surgery. From this experience, the resident will be provided with the knowledge and skills requisite for general orthopedic practice

Audition rotation >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else

As you can see by the DO charting outcomes, <410 was the lowest step 1 and step 2; thus it shows that boards don't mean everything.

Hard working and a great personality/attitude are far more important during your month rotation then anything else. Not once was I asked about my board scores, grades, class rank, research on any of my audition rotations nor when asking for my LORs.

The 2009 data said that the average board score for ortho was 561 with a SD of 69.7.

I don't know what to think of that data beacuse being out there and seeing the people who get spots they all have high scores. (>600). They get spots not because of their scores but because they are smart enough and hard working enough to earn a good score and those are the same characteristics that make them stand out amongst other students. Bottom line is if you're a 1st or 2nd year who wants to do ortho it would be of benefit to work your butt off to earn a good score then do it again to earn a spot

is there an advantage of getting into ortho residency depending on which school you go to? say would it be more advantageous to go to PCOM than NSU? PCOM had 30 ortho matches past five years and NSU had 16

thanks

is there an advantage of getting into ortho residency depending on which school you go to? say would it be more advantageous to go to PCOM than NSU? PCOM had 30 ortho matches past five years and NSU had 16

thanks

Good God man, you're in for a long haul if you continue with this nonsense.

That said, I'll bite. You want the best chance for ortho? Go to the school that allows the most freedom in selecting elective rotations 4th year. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

Also, get rid of that signature. No one cares what school you're going to except you. There's only one signature that's more obnoxious, and that's when people list all the different phases that exist in medical school, then put check marks with smiley faces that correlate to their feelings of said phases. You're on that path. It's time to grow up man. Make a decision and stop looking for external validation and stop using smilies to broadcast your thinly-veiled narcissism.

Last edited:

thanks

I don't think pedigree matters too much, especially in the DO world. I would just go to the school where you're comfortable at and has the least amount of required classes/crap. And as the other poster said, your rotations matter a lot too.

Either way, you'll probably change your mind about your specialty in med school.

I got a ton of information about many programs I checked out, and some from my friends. I am in the midst of applying ortho.... will post information after the match tho....

Nothing you don't already know. Good Grades, Good COMLEX, Good Intangibles, but everyone will have those. So audition rotation trumps all. Like I said nothing you didn't already know.
Do you think having a DPT will help?

Would love to hear anything you could contribute!

That said, I'll bite. You want the best chance for ortho? Go to the school that allows the most freedom in selecting elective rotations 4th year. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

This. If you want ortho, go to DMU. Those ****ers had some 30+ weeks of ortho compared to my five.