persianrug

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
another question:

how difficult/easy is it for an osteopathic student to do equally well on the USMLE as an allopathic student? i was under the impression that osteopathic medical schools have the same curriculum as allopathic schools, which means that both types of students would be equally equipped to take the USMLE. however, is that really so, or would an osteopathic student face significant challenges in taking the USMLE vs. the COMLEX?

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
persianrug said:
another question:

how difficult/easy is it for an osteopathic student to do equally well on the USMLE as an allopathic student? i was under the impression that osteopathic medical schools have the same curriculum as allopathic schools, which means that both types of students would be equally equipped to take the USMLE. however, is that really so, or would an osteopathic student face significant challenges in taking the USMLE vs. the COMLEX?
No, they don't have the same curriculum.

DO's get more anatomy + OMM

MD's get more biochemistry, biostatistics, genetics, and research

(Edit: "They don't have the same curriculum" means that there are minor differences only, and not major differences, as later posters will imply.)

cicatrix

gonna leave a mark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
OSUdoc08 said:
No, they don't have the same curriculum.

DO's get more anatomy + OMM (more macroscopic medicine)

MD's get more biochemistry/genetics + research (more microscopic medicine)

I thought you DOs had the same curriculum with some different areas of emphasis. That's pretty different from saying that the curriculum isn't the same.

About the Ads

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
cicatrix said:
I thought you DOs had the same curriculum with some different areas of emphasis. That's pretty different from saying that the curriculum isn't the same.
You're right.

I'll edit the post, as not to confuse people who must constantly nitpick others' posts.

cicatrix

gonna leave a mark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
OSUdoc08 said:
You're right.

This is why I'm in medicine and not English as a career.
I sure hope that you do a better job of explaining things and answering questions in person than you do on here.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2001
Missery
Status
Attending Physician
I think it also depends on the school. I'm not sure that I've had any more emphesis on anatomy than any other medical student, and my class seems rather gunho on biochemistry.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Megalofyia said:
I think it also depends on the school. I'm not sure that I've had any more emphesis on anatomy than any other medical student, and my class seems rather gunho on biochemistry.
The COMLEX and USMLE emphasize these differences, regardless of what your school did.

doc2010

Say what????
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2005
Status
cicatrix said:
I sure hope that you do a better job of explaining things and answering questions in person than you do on here.
Just a funny note-- your user name came up in Jeopardy tonight. The category was "People who suck." The $1000 answer was "Who is cicatrix?" Of course, I'm sure it wasn't you, but some other cicatrix...still, wouldn't you call that a pretty big coincidence?

DrFeelgoodMD

below is a TRUE avatar...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
USA
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
doc2010 said:
Just a funny note-- your user name came up in Jeopardy tonight. The category was "People who suck." The $1000 answer was "Who is cicatrix?" Of course, I'm sure it wasn't you, but some other cicatrix...still, wouldn't you call that a pretty big coincidence?
hmm....should i start the popcorn?....

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
persianrug said:
another question:

My two cents (I am applying this year). From what I have read the first time USMLE pass rate for an osteo student is about 70% compared to like 90-95% for allo students. As OSUdoc08 pointed out there are differences in curriculum, which is the reason for the discrepency in USMLE pass rates. COMLEX pass rates are for the most part in the upper 90% range.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel it is necessary to do an allo residency? I shadowed a highly successful Ophthalmologist (D.O.) that did an osteopathic residency and he has a reputation for being a highly skilled surgeon/physician.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Hardbody said:
My two cents (I am applying this year). From what I have read the first time USMLE pass rate for an osteo student is about 70% compared to like 90-95% for allo students. As OSUdoc08 pointed out there are differences in curriculum, which is the reason for the discrepency in USMLE pass rates. COMLEX pass rates are for the most part in the upper 90% range.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel it is necessary to do an allo residency? I shadowed a highly successful Ophthalmologist (D.O.) that did an osteopathic residency and he has a reputation for being a highly skilled surgeon/physician.
-shorter training (no internship year)
-larger hospitals, academic medical centers
-did i say location?

DrFeelgoodMD

below is a TRUE avatar...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
USA
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
OSUdoc08 said:
-lshorter training (no internship year)
I'm pretty sure all ophthalmologists have to do an internship in IM during their transitional year before starting their 3 year residency......but I could be wrong :oops:

J

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
UVMTrifecta said:
I'm pretty sure all ophthalmologists have to do an internship in IM during their transitional year before starting their 3 year residency......but I could be wrong :oops:

J
No, there is no "internship in IM."

Either way, I think that was just an example, and the question wasn't specialty specific.

About the Ads