osteopathic prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sean

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would I find the prerequisites needed for entry to osteopathic school. I realize that each school will differ slightly, but a general idea will suffice. I am on a pre-med allopathic track and considering a switch to osteopathic medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

The prerequisites are pretty much the same across the board. There are, however, differences from school to school. For the exact differences check out the AACOMAS website at www.aacom.org. It will give you the details. Good luck!

Jason

Check the Osteopathic Medicine Premedical FAQ. It was written to answer any questions you might have about becomming an osteopathic physician. To access the FAQ,

http://www.osteopathic.com/faq

Good luck!

Gregory

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to give you an idea right away, the general prerequisites are:
8 SH (12 QH) Biology
8 SH (12 QH) Inorganic Chemistry
8 SH (12 QH) Organic Chemistry
8 SH (12 QH) Physics

Then of course there's the English requirement (usually varies between 6 and 12 SH) and the math requirement (through Calculus II).
I've found that some of the schools require 12 SH of biology, and then some schools require that you take 6 SH or more of a behavioral science, such as psychology, anthropology, sociology, etc.
So that's the general idea, but definitely look at those websites posted by the above. They are very helpful.

summerb,

which school has a math req through calc 2? most schools don't even require college algebra, just "x hrs of math".

What do you think about making biochem a general prerequisite? I think that a 1 semester undergrad biochem class with an emphasis on molecular biology would have really helped me make the transition to medical school. Since so much of medicine is incorporating the tools of biotechnology, it will become imperative for physicians to have a thorough understanding of these concepts. So much information is thrown at you in medical school that there is rarely sufficient time to cover anything in great detail.

Also, wouldn't it be cool if the AACOM and AOA instituted this requirement before AAMC and LCME did? It would mean that DO schools would require more undergrad preparation than MD schools!

Drusso,it Sounds great in theory but the last thing I need is to add prereqs to my udergraduate degree. I expect med school to be very difficult when I get there, but the weeding out process at under graduate level is pretty intense and I am just hoping to survive it. I know this sounds selfserving, and I guess it is. It sounds like you are already a medical student somewhere. Is the work load as bad as it is supposed to be? I hear conflicting accounts and I cannot see how it can be worse than undergraduate hell. The uncertainty of acceptance just seems to kick everything up a notch. What are your thoughts?