Osteopathic presence in Oregon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summer

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a general idea of what the osteopathic presence is in Oregon? Or even the Pacific Northwest in general?

Members don't see this ad.

Summer,

I looked at the state osteopathic society webpage in Oregon. There do not appear to be many DOs in the state (they only have 1 allopathic medical school). But I also noticed that there is a DO on the faculty of OHSU.

EDGAR

Summer,
I work as an ER admitting clerk at the only osteopathic hospital in the NW which is located in Portland, Oregon. I believe that all of the major specialties are represented in the Portland area, although most are family practitioners. Eastmoreland Hospital has a family practice residency and internship which takes about 7 students each year, although they may be looking to expand.
As for the rest of the NW, there are DOs scattered throughout. I have met DOs from a number of different communities from the other states as well as Oregon.
If you would like more information feel free to contact me.

Portland has a small DO enclave and there are DOs scattered throughout the state. 90% of physicians in OR are within 25 km/15 miles of Interstate 5. Though there is only one LCME school in OR, there is NOT a shortage of doctors, as there has long been a migration of professionals from the midwest. Having spent many years there, I can state that it is not a particularly DO friendly or DO knowledgable state. In my time there, I was disappointed to meet many otherwise intelligent healthcare professionals that were not aware that DOs have full practice privileges. Many confused DOs with naturopaths &/or chiropractors