Osteopathic Psychiatry Board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shahseh22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I graduated from an MD residency but am a DO. If I get Board certification from Osteopathic Board, will that be enough to get credentialed with most insurance companies and hospitals? I'm looking to stay in California for what its worth.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why not go with ABPN? I'm not sure about the ins and outs of insurance companies but BC from ABPN will generally be more recognized.

Why not go with ABPN? I'm not sure about the ins and outs of insurance companies but BC from ABPN will generally be more recognized.

I want to do both, but I also want to have the extra option in case I decide to do academics in DO world or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the same as you; MD residency/fellowship. I get emails all the time about becoming board certified by our fellow DOs

And I had the same motivation as you. Plus, I like being a DO and believe in the tenants, etc. I mean it makes sense, be a DO and get board certified by osteopaths too, why not?

It appears that the ABPN is slightly more accepted than the DO boards in my experience. Because the ABPN is such a horrible monopoly more popular, I would definitely do that board certification at a minimum, and then do the DO boards on top of it if you really want

I would have totally done the DO board **but** they (we?) still have the oral board requirement. If you remember the ABPN got rid of that around 10 years ago because having a totally fair interview/exam is damn near impossible. Instead they require three interviews done by someone who is board certified.

Not only is it over a grand for the board exam (which OK is cheaper than the ABPN), but you have to fly out there to take the test, take time off...I mean it's a pain the arse

I summary, I like the idea of DO board certification but I don't want to pay the money/time that it costs. But if you have the free time and the money, and you have an interest at teaching at a DO school in the future, you should do it.

good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I did the same as you; MD residency/fellowship. I get emails all the time about becoming board certified by our fellow DOs

And I had the same motivation as you. Plus, I like being a DO and believe in the tenants, etc. I mean it makes sense, be a DO and get board certified by osteopaths too, why not?

It appears that the ABPN is slightly more accepted than the DO boards in my experience. Because the ABPN is such a horrible monopoly more popular, I would definitely do that board certification at a minimum, and then do the DO boards on top of it if you really want

I would have totally done the DO board **but** they (we?) still have the oral board requirement. If you remember the ABPN got rid of that around 10 years ago because having a totally fair interview/exam is damn near impossible. Instead they require three interviews done by someone who is board certified.

Not only is it over a grand for the board exam (which OK is cheaper than the ABPN), but you have to fly out there to take the test, take time off...I mean it's a pain the arse

I summary, I like the idea of DO board certification but I don't want to pay the money/time that it costs. But if you have the free time and the money, and you have an interest at teaching at a DO school in the future, you should do it.

good luck!

Yeah, if I fail this ABPN exam that I took, I'm just going to retake it again. I was considering taking the DO board but I'm not putting up with an oral board and ridiculous amount of neuro/omm.

Oral boards? No thanks

The only benefit I could see is that if I failed the ABPN exam, rather than waiting an entire year to take it again, I might be able to obtain board certification sooner (the test is in February).

Reactions: 1 user
The only benefit I could see is that if I failed the ABPN exam, rather than waiting an entire year to take it again, I might be able to obtain board certification sooner (the test is in February).
That's a good thought. The vast majority of insurances or jobs, like the VA, etc don't care if you're boarded by the ABPN or by DOs (AOA). In fact if you look at the APA requirements to be a fellow, or a distinguished fellow, they'll take DO boards too

Too bad our boards are a bigger pain

I'm sure you'll be fine though. Good luck whatever you choose!

DOs are making a "practice pathway" option for osteopathic addiction certification, but it requires an primary AOA board certification first.