Osteopathic Psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madball

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All:

Are any of you osteopathic students interested in pursuing Psychiatry? I am interested in this field as well as osteopathic medicine and was wondering (1) how competitive it is for a D.O. to place into a good residency, and (2) whether or not osteopathic medicine and psychiatry complement one another in any way.

All replies are appreciated.

Thanks!

madball

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. I dont suppose we can do OMM on the brain.

The best psych residencies are allopathic...without question. And, it is not overly competative to get in.

I have never seen a psychiatrist use OMM. For that matter, I had only one attending in all of my 3rd and 4th years to use OMM.
But, there is a study on the AOA webpage about OMM and depression. It is most likely a bad study though...go figure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try this out:
http://www.med-psych.net/

If you don't mind spending 5 years in a combined residency program, you might have your cake and eat it too!

I am no expert on oseopathic med. but it occures to me that osteopathic medicine would seem like a perfect choice for a psychiatrist.

I work in a p-hospital. Many of the kids psychological problems are physically related (i.e. bipolar is 100% physical/chemical), or emotional. No I don't think they'd let people do OMM on the brain (funny mental picture! lol). But isn't oseopathic medicine more than just OMM? Isn't it a philosphy? A totally different view of medicine and of the individual? I don't know but it seems like if it was just about OMM one would become a DC.

I don't know how effective OMM would be but one kid does receive manipulations (from a DC). It seems to have a calming effect (ADHD, OCD) and ease his depression (severe clinical) as well as his head aches (cluster head aches).

In addition, due to abuse issues that are sadly, not uncommon, and the irratic behavior in a behavioral therapy unit, and self inflicted harm (head banging, jumping off of things), injuries are common in the kids. One was run over by a car -- driven by his father. Although it might not help his suicidal tendancies it might help his back --which hurts a lot and feeling better might ease his depression. Another boy runs as hard as he can into walls. He's 170 pounds and 5'8. I'm much smaller and sometime I can't physically stop him without help and there is not warning so by the time we can restrain him he is often injured.

Anything that reduces pain medication would increase other meds effectiveness. I need to learn more about OMM but my doctor has relieved my sense of "downess" and distraction I thought was just "blues" following an accident that jarred my neck.

Plus the basic principle of looking at people as a "whole" would be a very welcomed idea. So often the Dr. show up just to give a "booty dart" literally and leave. The therapist talk and Dr. give drugs. I don't mean to say this is an allopathic fault but it would seem like anything that encouraged one to look at the person as a whole and to consider their psychological, emotional, and psysical issues would be WONDERFUL. It is what I would want personally, should I have need of that type of health care.

Just IMHO, as a mental health care worker/psych tech, certainly not a DO expert!

Lisa *climbs off soap box sheepishly*

Check out Wilhelm Reich- on the web as Reich.com or .org. Though not mainstream, his theories are fascinating and there's a complete training program for the therapy he initiated. It's based on the theory that energy is blocked via "armoring" due to life events, and the armoring is treated by OMM-style release. Also see the book, "Emotional Armoring," by Herskowitz (available at Amazon).