OSTEOPATHIC PSYCHIATRY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

together

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All:

Does anyone know where I can get information on D.O. Psychiatrists? I am interested in Osteopathic Medicine as well as N
Neurology and Psychiatry and want to know what is available to me in terms of residency options, future employment opportunities, and job security.

Thanks!

Together

Members don't see this ad.

Wide open my friend.

I also have an interest in psych and you'll have to narrow down your choices yourself.

Like anesth. there are more unclaimed spots than matches every year. Quite a few FMG's use psych as a way to get into the US.

Dave

I am also interested in Pyschiatry, does anyone have any info on what are the chances or if there are any disadvantages for a DO getting a pyschiatric residency as opposed to a MD? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteer at a behavioral health center (read: mental hospital) and one of the psychiatrists there is a DO. I spent a half hour or so talking to him about the pros/cons with being a DO in his field and he said it was great. He said it did not hinder him at all, and as a mater of fact he was going to be the chief resident next year. He did mention that he didn't get many chances to do adjustments in this line of work though...

Thanks, all!

I actually met with a D.O. Neurologist this afternoon and we chatted for a good hour. To summarize, he said that neurology and psychiatry are relatively easier to place into compared to other disciplines such as dermatology or neurosurgery (an obvious fact). However, he did also mention that D.O.'s are trained to be primary-care physicians in rural settings (a stereotype, in my opinion). Accordingly, only about 25-30% or D.O.'s pursue specializations in non-primary care-oriented fields such as neurology and psychiatry. As for the "D.O. stigma" in these fields, he said, "I never experienced it. In fact, I was Chief Resident during my residency at an allopathic hospital."

Cheers,

Together

Gee, it seems to me that psychiatry would be a great place to use manipulation therapy, especially "cranial"!!!!

Couldn't resist!!!

Eric J
UHS2004

I remember seeing an osteopathic psychiatrist being a part of congressional proceedings when I was watching cspan. She was identified as an 'osteopathic psychiatrist' :D

I know an osteopath that is a Neuropsychiatrist and has an extremely successful neurology practice in town. He is also a dean at one of the D.O. schools. I know that he has worked in practices with M.D.s also. I think he would tell you that he has not been hindered! :)

Both psychiatry and neurology are wide open for D.O.'s and D.O.'s do quite well in these fields. As a sidenote, I do know of a D.O. psychiatrist who specializes in chronic pain and does use OMT!

Reactions: 1 user
Hillside Hospital of the Long Island Jewish Medical Center has one of the most prestigious psychiatry residency programs in the country. This program has plenty of D.O. psychiatry residents and fellows. As a matter of fact, of the 6 to 8 applicants who are accepted into the psychiatry residency each year atleast 3 or 4 are D.O.s. Many of them are graduates of NYCOM. Hillside Hospital is also one of NYCOM's clinical rotation sites for the 3rd and 4th years.

Hi guys,

Thank you for your posts!

By the way, how does one go about becoming a neuropsychiatrist? Does this require board certification in both neurology and psychiatry? What about residency?

Thank you!

Together

Just bringing this thread to the top of the pile. Anyone have any information about how one goes about becoming a neuropsychiatrist?

Thanks!

Together

There are a few (8-9) combined psych/neuro programs. The training is 6 yrs in length. Also, although neuro and psych share the same certifying board, I believe that individuals must apply for board certification in each specialty seperately. :D

Only tangentally related: What's the scoop on Med-Psych combined residencies? Where can I find out more and how rare of a beast is someone with training in both?