Osteopathic Radiology Program at St Barnabus (NY) Closes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought this article would be of relevance to this forum.

Some choice quotes from the article,

Hospital spokesperson Steven Carter told AuntMinnie.com that the hospital has decided to reallocate the money from radiology to fund new residencies in primary care, with an eye toward the anticipated need for more primary care physicians going forward, especially in the hospital's core area of the Bronx.

We signed on to our residency program thinking that five years from now we would be radiologists, and now, to have the rug pulled out from under us -- we're all stunned, and we don't know what our next steps are," [third-year resident Dr. Nirav Shelat] said. "They told us that we're not going to get our funding, and that's what shocked us all the most. Why would a hospital take on a radiology resident's salary at $60,000 a year plus malpractice and the cost to train him?"

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a nightmare for those residents.

I think that is a pretty crappy excuse. Granted, I don't know how the rules are set up but why couldn't they just not have any more radiology classes and let those people finish out?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that is a pretty crappy excuse. Granted, I don't know how the rules are set up but why couldn't they just not have any more radiology classes and let those people finish out?

Because they dropped the group that was running the residency program in favor of a teleradiology group that had no interest in training residents.

Holding on to the funding is incredibly messed up. Like beyond words.

It is almost difficult for me to comprehend that they could do that to people. I don't disagree with the whole primary care positions thing, but it sounds like that was just the most convenient political spin they could put on it.

I'm not familiar with the contracts (obviously), but are there any potential legal ramifications? It seems like a civil suit waiting to happen.

have you guys heard about LICH closing in bklyn, ny? they also had a radiology program.