osteopathic residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumar28

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you do an osteopathic residency are you limited to work out of osteopathic hospitals? Could someone please educate me on the advantages and disadvantages of undertaking an osteopathic residency?

thx:)

Members don't see this ad.

as a grad of a do residency program you have all the same rights as any md grad in the same field. the ama considers the md and do degrees to be equivalent in the practice environment. if you are a do med school grad you can apply to both md and do residency programs. many do residencies also qualify you to take the md specialty board exams in addition to the do boards, hope that helps.basically, when you are out of school there is no difference in practice opportunities.

Are you sure that you can take the MD Board after doing a DO residency? I have never heard this and I am doubtful because the ABMS would have to accredit the program before they allow these residents to take the certification exam. I do know passing the DO Board is good enough in the eyes of credentialling committees and malpractice attorneys. Can you name a few boards that allow the practice? Thanks.

Some DO residencies are dually accredited so they can sit for MD boards. But if you are in an AOA only residency, DO board is all you got.