Osteopathic residency to allopathic fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigDinLV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to become a PGY2 anesthesia resident at an osteopathic program. I'm considering a peds fellowship. The fellowship programs I am interested in are all ACGME programs.

I admit I am a little confused about how this would work.

If I do a ACGME fellowship will I be able to be board certified since I did an osteopathic residency?

Can I do a ACGME fellowship and then apply to have it approved and certified by the AOA?

Or would it just not work and would only be a year of training?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the answers to your questions but unfortunately I think that you post points toward some of the shortcomings of the AOA anesthesiology residencies. I would think that it is impossible to be ABA board certified without having completed an ACGME residency.

I would contact the AOA/ABA/ACGME directly. Don't rely on anything less than actual source verification.

I've inquired about this general topic before and this is what I was told: You can do an AOA residency, then do an ACGME fellowship, but neither board will certify you for the fellowship. How much that matters, I'm not sure, since you will still be board certified for your main specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've inquired about this general topic before and this is what I was told: You can do an AOA residency, then do an ACGME fellowship, but neither board will certify you for the fellowship. How much that matters, I'm not sure, since you will still be board certified for your main specialty.

I kinda wonder about this too.

Hey all. In this exact situation. Interviewed for a few ACGME fellowships recently and about to start CA-3 year at AOA program. There isn't an issue of undertaking an ACGME fellowship. However, the way the ABA bylaws read, you must be an ABA delegate to become boarded in an ABA specialty. Would be nice to be able to sit for the ABA boards after completion of fellowship (or before), but doesn't seem to be a reality.

I had the idea about being boarded through the AOA/AOCA so I contacted them. AOA sent me directly to the AOCA and the AOCA has yet to give me any info either direction.

So the question remains, is it worth doing the fellowship if I can't be boarded? Maybe not....

Will a group not hire you to fill a niche, in which you are fellowship trained, if you are not BC/BE due to some red tape with ABA/AOBA.

I would think, for all intents and purposes, that a PP group would not care so much about being board certified in a subspecialty as long as you have the fellowship training. But, I really have no idea because I'm just a med student. Any PP guys want to chime in about this- whether it is "worth it" to do an ACGME fellowship if you will not be BC/BE in it after you are done?

Last edited:
I explored this issue while as a med student when trying to compare osteopathic vs allopathic Anesthesia residencies

In the SE, I was told by 3 PP groups (VA, NC, GA) that for their grps you have to be ABA/ACGME certified. Not sure if this is a state requirement or just the PP preference.

In the future, many suggest/believe that board certifications will be key with Obamacare and insurance reimbursement - similar to ER currently. You may get extra training during the fellowship, but without the board certification. You may want to check with the hospital/PP that you plan to work for...

CJ