Osteopathic Residents...I need you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marianne11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a bit confused about DO vs. MD residencies.

1) If I do a DO IM residency, can I still do a allo fellowship (hem-onc) etc.? Would it be very hard to get accepted? There are only a few DO hem-on fellowships.

2) If I go the Allo route, and the programs accept comlex, do I still need to do USMLE steps as well?

3) Some allo programs say they accept comlex or usmle, but then you call and they want usmle. Are there programs that accept comlex only? I took comlex, but wasn't planning on taking USMLE....any advice?

4) Anyone know of DO friendly Allo IM residencies? I don't want to rotate through programs where I would never land an interview. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I'm a bit confused about DO vs. MD residencies.

1) If I do a DO IM residency, can I still do a allo fellowship (hem-onc) etc.? Would it be very hard to get accepted? There are only a few DO hem-on fellowships.

2) If I go the Allo route, and the programs accept comlex, do I still need to do USMLE steps as well?

3) Some allo programs say they accept comlex or usmle, but then you call and they want usmle. Are there programs that accept comlex only? I took comlex, but wasn't planning on taking USMLE....any advice?

4) Anyone know of DO friendly Allo IM residencies? I don't want to rotate through programs where I would never land an interview. Any suggestions?

Off topic: Is that really you as your avatar?

yes you can, however it is an uphill battle. I've posted some thoughts on doing an AGCME fellowship after a AOA/ACOI residency here

Additionally, if you read here, this is a survey that shows what overall seems to be most important to Fellowship PDs

For licensure purposes you do not need USMLE. However, if you're going to go into a fellowship, it would probably be to your benefit if you took USMLE and did well, at least step 1.

If you absolutely do not want to take USMLE or do not think you will do well on it, don't take it and work on strengthening your other aspects of your application. But taking it and doing well on USMLE will only help your application. there are defiantly programs which will not look at your application for residencies without USMLE and there are those that will, there are a few threads in the IM forum that discuss some programs, but there is no comprehensive list that I'm aware of.

Jump in the IM forum and do a few searches or ask there. And you need to give a list of some sort of preferences as what you’re looking for in a program, as there are a ton of programs out there.

yes you can, however it is an uphill battle. I've posted some thoughts on doing an AGCME fellowship after a AOA/ACOI residency here

Additionally, if you read here, this is a survey that shows what overall seems to be most important to Fellowship PDs

For licensure purposes you do not need USMLE. However, if you're going to go into a fellowship, it would probably be to your benefit if you took USMLE and did well, at least step 1.

If you absolutely do not want to take USMLE or do not think you will do well on it, don't take it and work on strengthening your other aspects of your application. But taking it and doing well on USMLE will only help your application. there are defiantly programs which will not look at your application for residencies without USMLE and there are those that will, there are a few threads in the IM forum that discuss some programs, but there is no comprehensive list that I'm aware of.

Jump in the IM forum and do a few searches or ask there. And you need to give a list of some sort of preferences as what you’re looking for in a program, as there are a ton of programs out there.

Thank you! :)

Depends on the program, some prefer allo, some probably won't care. Hem-onc is not very competitive FMGs takes half of the spots.

Better safe than sorry on this one.

You really need to take the USMLE, it's very similar to the COMLEX sans the OMT.

Griffin Hospital, a DO I know trained there he is general IM though

Waterbury Hospital http://www.waterburyhospital.org/education/education.htm run under the auspices of Yale is IMG friendly and has some DO attendings, has 1 PCOM, 1 UMDNJ-SOM, 2 NSU-COM (my home institution), a UNTHSC-SOM was a chief resident and 1 DMU-COM in it's IM. I know this program well, my father does consults there, excellent facilities and great faculty, plus yale linked.

St. Mary's Hospital
http://www.stmh.org/gme/residency/programs/int_med/index.html
Another Yale affiliate again IMG friendly, has DO attendings however no resident list online.

Another option is doing a dual ACGME/AOA accredited IM program.