Osteopathic Schools appreciate Military Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FormerCorpsman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking the MCAT early next year, and I will not be applying to allopathic programs. With that stated, can anyone tell me which Osteopathic schools admire military service? Here are my current states:
GPA 3.82
sGPA 3.71

Members don't see this ad.

Without an MCAT your stats don't mean much.

lol You don't need a military boost with those scores (provided a 25+ on the MCAT), but yes, they do appreciate military service.

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed this myself with a particular friend of mine at MSUCOM. He got in with a 24 MCAT, but that was 3.5 years ago (he's starting is 4th year soon). I doubt the MCAT average was significantly different (probably <1, maybe 0.5 less). He had a similar GPA, possibly a little higher 3.8x. One other thing to consider is that he is instate and this school as you might already know has a huge instate preference. At the time I was dumbfounded at how someone got in with a 24, so I attributed it to his military service. But in retrospect, I really don't think its extremely hard to do with that high of a GPA if you do EVERYTHING on your application right and apply early. You should be competitive to MOST schools with a 25+ given your military service and high GPA. Usually people in the military have amazing experiences so they have beefy CVs. Don't let the MCAT hold you up, and good luck!

Thanks for the replies on the issue. I am taking a year to prepare for the MCAT, for I wish to sent a message to the admissions committee. My goal is to master the MCAT, which requires me as of yet to study about 6 hours a day. Only time will tell how well I will do, coupled with my efforts.