Osteopathic Schools for Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTodd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the various D.O. schools are for emergency medine? How about overall? I realize there is no formal rank, I just wanted to get some feedback. I've applied to Touro-SF, DMUCOM, PCOM, UNECOM, AZCOM, CCOM, and KCOM. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently OSU-COMs program is strong, as is CCOMs program largely in part due to the rotation sites in such a large city (more opportunities)

MTodd said:
Does anyone know how the various D.O. schools are for emergency medine? How about overall? I realize there is no formal rank, I just wanted to get some feedback. I've applied to Touro-SF, DMUCOM, PCOM, UNECOM, AZCOM, CCOM, and KCOM. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

OSU-COM has 2 residencies in Oklahoma City OK, 1 in Tulsa OK, and one unofficial residency in Joplin MS. So, 3 official residencies, and 1 unofficial.

All of these residencies have a large majority of graduates from our school, so it makes it pretty nice for us.

TCOM, as another example, does not have any EM residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey buddy,
Good question, I'm also interested in EM. From what I know, which isn't much, there aren't any DO schools known for EM. However, several, if not all, are known for their primary care, and if you've ever hung out in an ED, you know that its quite a bit of primary care. So that's one subtle point that has to be made. The other point is that you should chose a school that has an EM rotation, preferably in an urban area where you get a lot of exposure, and also do an EM elective. If you do well on those rotations, I'm sure it wouldnt matter what school you went to, be it known for EM or not.

Thanks guys. Any more input others might have would be greatly appreciated.

I work in Oklahoma City for EMSA as a paramedic. OSU has a residency program at Southwest Medical Center for EM. Everytime I take a pt to SWMC I am impressed by the number of caring residents who seem very conserned for my pt's prognosis. I have on been in OKC for a short time but, from I can tell, OSU produces competent, compassionate physicians. I hope to attend OSU once I finish my undergrad. Good Luck.

MTodd said:
Thanks guys. Any more input others might have would be greatly appreciated.

I work as a tech in a local community hospital in phila. and previously as a clinical associate of another community hosp. in the suburbs. From my experience, D.O.'s generally practice emergency medicine at local, community based hospitals rather than large university hospitals. Note that I am not saying i've done research on this subject... this is only from my experience in the ED. Most of the D.O.'s i've worked with went to PCOM, and one went to CCOM.

Hope this helps!

mstann said:
I work as a tech in a local community hospital in phila. and previously as a clinical associate of another community hosp. in the suburbs. From my experience, D.O.'s generally practice emergency medicine at local, community based hospitals rather than large university hospitals. Note that I am not saying i've done research on this subject... this is only from my experience in the ED. Most of the D.O.'s i've worked with went to PCOM, and one went to CCOM.

Hope this helps!

why do you think that is?