Osteopathic Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nina

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of the 15 Osteopathic Schools in the U.S., which are considered the best? Please tell me your opinion or of any ratings you have heard of. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

First, you got your hands on some outdated information somewhere. There are 19 osteopathic medical schools.

Also, as far as ratings... I must ask, ratings for what? This is not an easy question because there are a million criteria that could be used to assess the different schools. Just some of the criteria could be:

* Stats of matriculants.
* Percentage of primary care physicians produced.
* Acceptance of minorities.
* Board exam scores.
* Student quality of life.
* Number of full-time faculty.
* Rotation sites.
* Research exposure.
* Early clinical exposure.
* Residency placement.
* Opportunity for extracurricular involvement.
* Tuition.

You see, it is a difficult to decide on which criteria to use and how much weight to assign to the different criteria. I recommend to others that they write the schools they are interested in, get some fact sheets, read some books that have statistics on different medical schools and begin to formulate your own criteria. For me, my own criteria includes such subjective things as "Proximity to family" and "geriatric opportunities." It is time consuming to do this, but somewhat enjoyable. Best of all, the school you will decide on will be the school that fits YOU best, not the school SOMEONE ELSE thinks is best.

Please jump out to the "Everyone" forum and read my response to this same question.

Gregory Gulick
http://www.osteopathic.net/gregory

So which are considered the best? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is literally 14 years old.

Do you even remember what you were doing 14 years ago?

First, you got your hands on some outdated information somewhere. There are 19 osteopathic medical schools.

Also, as far as ratings... I must ask, ratings for what? This is not an easy question because there are a million criteria that could be used to assess the different schools. Just some of the criteria could be:

* Stats of matriculants.
* Percentage of primary care physicians produced.
* Acceptance of minorities.
* Board exam scores.
* Student quality of life.
* Number of full-time faculty.
* Rotation sites.
* Research exposure.
* Early clinical exposure.
* Residency placement.
* Opportunity for extracurricular involvement.
* Tuition.

You see, it is a difficult to decide on which criteria to use and how much weight to assign to the different criteria. I recommend to others that they write the schools they are interested in, get some fact sheets, read some books that have statistics on different medical schools and begin to formulate your own criteria. For me, my own criteria includes such subjective things as "Proximity to family" and "geriatric opportunities." It is time consuming to do this, but somewhat enjoyable. Best of all, the school you will decide on will be the school that fits YOU best, not the school SOMEONE ELSE thinks is best.

Please jump out to the "Everyone" forum and read my response to this same question.

Gregory Gulick
http://www.osteopathic.net/gregory

I think residency placement is the most important one.

Not so fast... That was a legit question that has never received a satisfactory answer. There is much to learn from the oldies.

01-21-1999
I'm with Jack on this one.

Ask yourself... do you respect M.D.s? Because I don't. I don't respect D.O.s either, for that matter. I respect the PERSON bearing the degree if that person deserves my respect.

In sum, the degree itself means nothing. The character and competence of the practitioner means everything.

Gregory Gulick
Accepted, NSUCOM '03
http://www.osteopathic.com/gregory

12-13-1998
This is an interesting thread.

The only physicians that haved asked me to perform OMT on a patient are MDs!

In-fact, I have never seen a DO perform manipulation in a hospital setting. I think that's because: 1. hospital beds are miserable for manipulation 2. It's time consuming 3. Lack of training in the manipulative treatment of hospitalized patients, and 4. Most DOs probably don't keep-up their OMT skills.