Osteopathic Specialization, Best Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TNT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

For all you Osteopathic medical students, and pre-osteopathic students that are knowledgable in this area, which osteopathic schools are best if you want to specialize. Not a super competitive fields like neurosurgury, but just regular specialized fields like Emergency Medicine, Radiology, Cardiology, or neurology, etc. I know that osteopathic is focused on primary care, but just some information from students who would know is greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time for your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

It isn't so much the schools as it is your rotations and subinternship. You will set yourself up for specialty...I don't think the location of the 1st two years will really have much of an effect. There are parts of the country that have a lot osteopathic training sites such as Southern NJ/Philly, Ohio area, Michigan etc...although, specialization doesn't necessarily need to be through the AOA. Good rotations, grades, and boards are key.

njdevil,

I take it you are a KCOM student? I was wondering how you like it there, and do you feel like you made the right decision by coming to KCOM? I am interviewing there in several weeks, so any info is helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i agree the important thing is where you do your rotations.
as regards to the AOA "looking down" when you go outside of primary care (which you will here peopole say), i will disagree. being MSIV, i have found the more important issue. . .are you going to do an internship? i am all for the traditional rotating internship. . .especially in my case where i am going into OB/GYN. face it, after internship, the days of seeing a MI, CVA, PE, SBO are going to be nearly over. where as the MD's, i believe, go right into their field and do not get the experience we get. so i am looking forward to being the "house doctor" for a year. so that was my plug for the internship issue. i will have to say, for IM, it does seem a little too much to do an internship.

anyway, sorry i lost track. so, basically go to the school that fits you. . .you will find a good residency. (for that matter a good fellowship if you do well in resid.) do not worry.

merzuok MSIV
WVSOM

[This message has been edited by mmerzouk (edited 09-20-2000).]

oops, i meant people. . .
i hate to type
smile.gif

Wow,

thanks for all the post. Maybe I should change it too: Which schools have the best rotations? That being the case, can anyone tell me which schools have the best sites. Im interested in knowing because I think that I will be fortunate enough (knock on wood) to be accepted to several schools because I have received interviews very early in the game and have a solid application. So if anybody with experience knows, help me as well as any other students making the tough decision of which schools to go to.

The vast rotation/residency options at MSUCOM really can't be beat. As the largest DO state, Michigan has several Osteopathic hospitals as well as numerous Osteopathic/Allopathic hospitals. Several of them are large facilities with a vast array of options for the specialty minded student as well as primary care. Incidently, several of the other DO schools have programs set up that allow their students to come up here for rotations. I've personally run into some students from KCOM and CCOM over at one of our base hospitals. They were doing externships. I suggest you check it out, here's the link to the list of our hospitals and affiliates (cruise around the site there's all kinds of info).
http://www.com.msu.edu/scs/memberlist.html

Only one drawback though. The competition amongst non-Michiganders is extremely competitive. Out of a class of around 125, I think we have perhaps 10 out of state students. In anycase, I think it's worth a look. Happy hunting.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

What are some others opinions about this topic? I'll be attending NYCOM this fall and wanted to know how well prepared students are, or their opportunities are, for specialization.

DocGibby said:
Only one drawback though. The competition amongst non-Michiganders is extremely competitive. Out of a class of around 125, I think we have perhaps 10 out of state students. In anycase, I think it's worth a look. Happy hunting.

That wasn't my issue....my issue was the HUGELY INSANE FREAKING OHMYGOSH WOW HOLYSMOKES OUT OF STATE TUITION!

Good school but pretty much for those that have scholarships and are from michigan.

they are attempting to set up scholarships for our out-of-state students, which would be achievement oriented i believe. but yeah it is a state school, so our funding goes to pay tuition for the students of the taxpayers. one of the things to consider too is that housing costs are less here, as are living expenses, compared to some of the metropolitan schools (although its not KCOM, just plugging that in there before i get flamed). lots of chances to rotate through alot of really good hospitals, where a majority of the subspeciality DO residencies are located. a nice network exists, so i am finding out. sure hoping it helps me out!